1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon & Sea Trout 2008.....

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jul 3, 2008.

1. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Hi there Glenn,no rain today, really need some m8,Not much time left,Off out during the week with the fly rod during darkness so lets keep the fingers crossed.

2. woldedge

woldedge New Member

My Esk season is now over. Had a very frustrating last week in difficult water conditions and the fish even more difficult to tempt them out of there deep lyes. Saw nothing to speak of for the first three days of my fishing this week, not a splash ripple or anything. Even tried the fly on the Monday afternoon and even that didn't tempt them.
    Wednesday was a slight improvement managed to get a couple of follows by a good sized fish that I am sure was well stale by the colour of it. Moved to another pool of certain there would be fish in, got to the tail of the pool and bingo a tightening of the line, that fish had just come up for a quick nibble of the spinner and that was it. No luck but a bit of encouragement.
    Thursday was going to be my last day and it was. Went through the pools with my trusted mepps and not a sign of a fish anywhere. I know where there would be a fish for definate, fished it through with the mepps and nothing. Time to pack up and give the river the best. One last chance, I got the biggest Rapala out of my pocket put it on and within a casts bang there was that fish I know was going to be there. Landed a 11 lb salmon. Not a bad way to end the season. Just a shame there was very little water in the river to have a little bit more sport.
    Heres waiting for 2009.

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:surprise: Cracking end to the season wolfedge. How would you sum up your season overall?

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Big shame Dave. The weather never came as forecast. It was supposed to rain all day last Saturday but we never got a drop. I think it all fell on those runners in the lake district.

Always next year to look forward to now guys. Lets hope for a better summer and a laters season run of fish for you.

5. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

NO-NO-NO-NO-NO - - - TYPICAL - - -today saturday 1/11/08.
    All of the last week of the season no rain came and the water was not the best height to encourage fish to run.BUT 1st day after season has ended,i have just got back from taking a look down at sleights,
    The water is a great height for fishing and there's quite a lot of fish at the weir.
    It's good to see but god it makes you sick,Why did'nt this happen last week,It just seems to go like that every year, last great back end was about 4years ago.........

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Well after solidly plugging away at dawn and dusk every day for the last week I did have some success.
    Last Sunday (23/10) I went up and despite the river being at Summer level saw a couple of fish going through. Levels were good for fly but alas the fish didn't think so. Anyway, I continued to fish dawn and dusk for the week- seeing some quite good runs going through in the last hour of light but not touching a thing. It got to a very cold Thursday and the river had lots of leaves in it which were fast becoming a real pain- catching on the spinner virtually every cast and I was almost thinking about calling it a day for the year but the sight of an unbelievably bright, tide fresh fish at last light put pay to that. On the last morning of the season I was out at 6am again and at around 7:30pm I lifted into a snag that started moving upstream. After a rather dogged fight I landed a sea liced and clean 7.5lb sea trout.
    An enjoyable week.

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I heard last night that 3 lads were caught netting under the big bridge in whitby, anyone else hear anything?

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Wouldn't surprise me mate.
    At least that bit of rain on Saturday and Sunday will have got some of the ones that were waiting upstream.