1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon & Sea Trout 2008.....

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jul 3, 2008.

1. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

I was going to but decided against it , as i wanted to ude fly but thought it might be a bit to coloured

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

has anyone had any luck yet. I havent really had time ye, as im trying to cath my first bass :yes:

3. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Since we have had some rain in last few day's,Has an body been out fishing the rivers for sea trout - salmon.I've not been able to get out to wet a line,but always interested if anybody else has had anything...

4. woldedge

woldedge New Member

I had a couple of hours last night, a bit high a a tad too dirty. Today, this morning look like there had been a small shower over night just to increase the colour in the water (not good). This afternoon, no clearer but certainly fish (well odd ones) were in the mood for taking, had a follow of a fish in the double figure range, but it never took, then half hour later in same pool, slightly different place another fish took the lure really hard but never stayed on. There is certainly plenty of fish in the river, it is one of those things that they either stick or they get off. Never the less very encouraging to see good sized fish in the river. As they say tomorrow will be a good day. Shame I have to go back to work other wise would have been out again tomorrow inpursuit of that bar of silver. There has been a few sea trout caught over the last few days with this fresh water about. Good news.

5. LEONFR

LEONFR New Member

Down at sleights tonight for about 3hrs spinning but no good ,never saw any fish either.

6. woldedge

woldedge New Member

The river has been a very strange colour this weekend, nobody seems to have any answers as to why the river is carrying so much colour, but this didn't stop me from having a great result on Saturday afternoon. Caught a lovely fresh salmon covered in sea lice weighing in at 9lb 4oz, and what a fight I had with it. I thought it was going to be quite an easy netting, but how wrong I was. It started to swim up stream which is the norm for salmon, then all of a sudden it did a U turn and headed down stream, with line poring off the reel and there was very little I could do to stop it. It headed over the top and into the rough (still not seen the fish) which is very streamy and a very strong flow, my line caught on the one of the rocks it swam between still line disappearing, then I got sight of the fish about 20 yards down stream, and there was no way that I could walk towards the fish with trees and rocks in the way, so I thought that the only thing I could do was to give the fish some slack (put rod tip down). I did that and then everything was still, no sign of the fish so I thought that was that, started winding the line in, then all of a sudden there was a gentle tugging on the line, no way the fish could still be on. Then to my amazement the fish was heading back into the pool where I had hooked it, once near the bank it had no fight left in it at all. Then found that it was so well hooked that no way it was going to come off. The hook of the mepps was bend virtually straight. What a 15 Min's of my life of which I will never forget.
    Pics to follow.
    Here he is,
    [​IMG]
    There was a rumour going round that someone yesterday had caught an 18 lber on Egton Estates.
    Loads of fish about, just need some settled weather.

7. bucko

bucko Guest

Well done Kate. I shall have to have a look up later this week.

8. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

sound like a crackin fish woldedge look forward to some pic's.I went down just for a look on sunday,as you say i was very coloured but was a nice height,looked very fishy i wish now i had taken down the rod with me.The colour could have come from the amount of very heavy rain we have had,Not just the steady stuff we usally get.With the amount of rain we have had in the last couple of week's there must have been a good supply of fish that have gone through the esk.I bet there's a great number holding up in the egton beat,Anybody fishing there in the next week could have a bumper day,Would not be suprised if someone had a 18lb'er,Cracking water.....

9. coasty

coasty New Member

Hope there still there in a few weeks,,,, :yes:

10. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

it won't be long before you have your time up there coasty,If we continue to have steady spells of rain and the water stays up and does'nt drop to summer levels THEY WILL BE THERE.I wish i had followed my gut and booked a few saturdays in sept -oct at the start of the year :angry:.

11. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Had a couple of hours down at sleights on Monday evening,Water was nothing spectacular -just above norm with still a bit of colour from the previous rain,Anyway got down there around 6pm as i was tying up a couple of flies onto leader (was only going for the brownies as it's the end of brown trout season wed')Saw three fish swim through just under the foot bridge,Went to start at the top of the free streatch and there was fish after fish going through,In the 1.5hrs i was down there must have seen 15 fish moving through,Even one powering through straight for me (looked a decent 6lb as it came through only a foot away from where i was)
    Any how didnt get any to take :cry: but when they are going through at speed i didnt expect too, but it was fun :happy: just watching them come through,If fish like that are coming through each night then the back-end of october is going too be GREAT. :canadian: :canadian:
    Good luck to all in October guys..

12. bucko

bucko Guest

Nice one mate.
    I'm really looking forward to the last week now- Especially as I've got the missus' uncle's cottage on Flowergate for the week. River all day, sea all night- how will I find time to sleep;)
    I really think though that given a good spate before last pickings it could be a classic month with plenty of doubles about.

13. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

I just hope it's not like the past few years,too much water or no water at all,Like you say m8 a good spate the week before the last week in oct, with a couple of days for it to fall back some, then come the 25th, the fish can come flooding in(that gives us 7 days to get the job done).Hopefully c u down on the river during that week......

14. woldedge

woldedge New Member

All I can say is that the water must have been perfect on Saturday afternoon. Arrived at the river at 3.30pm, had a good five minute walk to the pool I wanted to start fishing in, so no more than no 3.40pm, had approx five casts and was into a salmon, had one hell of a fight to try and keep it in the pool, unlike the last fish. This was going to be a fish of size as I had difficulty keeping the line tight as it was swimming all over the place and in and out of the water. I tried to land it from the bank but the fish was too strong for me to do that, so I dragged (coaxed) the fish to the gaffing steps of which I then managed to land it.
    A good result for 15 mins fishing a bar of silver weighing in at 10lb 12oz, how chuffed was I.
    Never saw any fish prior to hooking (and landing) this one and never saw anything afterwards either.
    Right place right time.
    Only three weeks left so must try and make the best of the rest of the season.

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done Kate, nice one. A specimen Salmon, and you know theres bigger in there :happy: :happy:

16. bucko

bucko Guest

Well done Kate- and this rain of late is making the remainder of the season look pretty promising!

17. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

ONLY 5 DAYS TO GO,and them it's all hands down too the river,YES-YES-YES

18. woldedge

woldedge New Member

From Saturday I too will be giving the river a good thrash. Hopefully it will rain towards the end of this week and then there should be a nice run of fresh fish enter the river for the closing week.

19. bucko

bucko New Member

Likewise mate- work is going to drag this week.
    Raring to go!

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looks like you may get a bit of rain for it. Hope its not too much and you get some good fishing. If you meet a guy called Peter Robinson on your travels say Hi from me.