1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon & Sea Trout 2008.....

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jul 3, 2008.

1. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Hi bucko_Our paths might have crossed at some time,Sometimes you come across so many people when out fishing it hard to keep up.I have been fishing with the fly rod for a good few years now and a few seasons ago when i was able to get out fishing more, i really was working hard to get Salmon on the fly,so you might have done.
    It's hard to put face's to names with just username's. :confused:

2. bucko

bucko Guest

True mate- but you will have certainly seen me and my mate Phil at some point as it was only a few seasons ago you could count Esk fly fishers (regular ones) on one hand.
    Lets hope the fish start playing ball soon though mate as even though I take a week off in October I'd like to get a couple of early ones in case we have an Autumn like last year.
    Mind you, even though I caught less then previous seasons they were all absolutely mint and tide fresh- my first one last year was on June 16th, then one on 13th July and a salmon on 30th September.

I've developed real confidence in brighter flies on there as well- Dunkeld, Green Highlander and suchlike but not too big (size 10 doubles).

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

I got my first salmon on the Teviot Ian. It weighed 20lbs, and it was caught on a fibre glass ledger rod and 6lb line. Oh, and the cheap Diawa reel had plastic gears. God knows how i got it in. Now going back to another thread about old tackle and fishing mmm. It makes you think!

4. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

You always stand a chance of a early one or two at lower end of river,Its all about been there during times when fish mght come through.I always favour when there are tides late evening or very early morning(fishing different parts of a pool-stretch of water depending which time).It all depend on river height/colour for fly size and colour i think,I prefer to eadge on the side of single hook fly's when ever possible,But did well on self tied copper tubes (slim).3/4 inch with myler tube and black squirrel.
    But as always with fly fishing there's always so many thing to take into account i could go on and on and on :sleepy:.

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

I've generally spun the Esk, but about 15 years ago i was introduced to a brilliant method of fly fishing for Sea trout. The knack, was, that you didnt use a fly rod.

6. bucko

bucko Guest

It takes a patient man Salmo, thats for sure!

Dave- it wasn't an old fella called 'George' that showed you that method was it??

Have you guys seen the biggest sea trout from the Towy (Tywi) this year yet??? :surprise:

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

No Ian, it was John Simpson who used to have the tackle and gun shop in Stokesley. He now has Lord Stones cafe on Carlton Bank.

8. bucko

bucko Guest

Blimey- theres a name from the past!

Here's a pic of that Towy fish- 18lb.

[​IMG][/[/img]

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thats a cracking fish Ian, what did it take?

10. bucko

bucko Guest

A worm, much to the dismay of the purists.

My take on it is that a) the stretch where it was caught is in a gorge making fly fishing nigh on impossible, and b) its a legal method.

And I've never been able to take salmon or sea trout on worm- I'm very confident with a spinner, have plenty of faith in my fly fishing skills but can't get them to take a worm.

I've had them chase it while reeling it in when I was a kid in Scotland.
    Mind you, they used to go for 6 inch eels when you were bringing them in- it explains why 'Collie Dog' patterns work so well.

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Great fish that :happy:

Saw my first sea trout down our beck today. Was ledger fishing and had a few browns. Biggest about ten or so inches. Then a great trout jumped out right in front of me, must have been about 5 or 6 lb. was a nice fish :yes:

As for you not been able to sea trout on worm ian, thats all ive had them on but thats how it goes. Yet to get one on the fly :confused:

12. bucko

bucko Guest

They're fickle b**gers Dan, thats for sure!

Keep at it mate, thats what I intend to do- and with a bit of luck we'll get there eventually!

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

Nowt wrong with worming. Its most probably more skillful than the fly. Mastering the worm makes you a better angler, as far as i'm concerned.

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Why thank you :nerd:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. rupert

rupert Blenny

Worms definately do the biz on salmon (and seatrout)

Took my first ever salmon 30 years ago as a young lad from the River Almond (a spate river and tributary of the Tay). The previous day I had lost a couple and so I returned at first light the next day with stronger line and with 10 minutes had my first ever salmon on the bank. Trouble is, I couldn't really shout about it because it was caught on a Sunday! :embarrass: :no:

Just wish I'd known about the advantages of worming controllers in those days :yes:

16. bucko

bucko Guest

I cut my migratory teeth not too far from there Rupert- on the Tay at Stanley.
    On a Sunday.
    On a trout permit! :laugh:

17. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

My first migratory fish, My only salmon to date, Was caught on a mackerel spinner :laugh: :laugh: Not exactly for the purists eh :laugh:

18. bucko

bucko Guest

I dunno Dan- I seem to recall one getting caught from Redcar seafront on lug and squid!
    Now that would be a surprise.

19. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:laugh: :laugh: Never heard that one before. There was a seatrout caught of sandsend beach in a match last winter

20. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Went down to sleights for a look today,No fishing, just to check on water height,Plenty of colour,and a good height.There were three people fishing but no one had touched anything :confused:,Nothing showing at the weir,Will have a spin sunday morning while i can, before going back to work :angry:,bit too much colour for any fly work.
    Did anybody-else go out today in the hope of a fish.