1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon & Sea Trout 2008.....

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bucko

bucko Guest

Is anyone doing better than me?

A parr would beat me hands down.

Though I'm hoping to put that right on Saturday on the Wear.

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

I havn't done any yet Ian, because i've been too busy finding a house.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Stick with it Dave, you need that new house so you can get your yak :cool: :wink: We'll have you out there bagging up on double figure Bass & Cod within no time :cheesy:

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Dont think there are many in our beck tbh, but a bit of rain should get them in :cheesy:

tightlines

5. bucko

bucko Guest

I'm a firm believer that with small streams and rivers the size of Esk that these little bits of rain get fish up but they become well spread out. We need a solid week of heavy rain I think.
    I hear of lots of fish on the Wear though so touch wood I'll be on there tomorrow night.

6. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Too true bucko.With little rain fish will enter the river but will soon get well spread out,BUT odd fish WILL slowly come up during darkness whatever the river height.
    Have been out on the ESK most evenings this week,Plenty of small stuff coming too the fly, but have only seen two large fish jumping(sea trout / salmon) in the lower stretches.Lets hope for a spell of the wet stuff.TIGHTLINES TO ALL...

7. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Never fished for sea trout or salmon. The only sea trout i have seen caught was by Whitby in a competition i was in.

8. bucko

bucko Guest

Well Salmo, looks like we're getting what we wished for- rainwise anyway!

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Plenty of water in the river now. Looked perfect height today.

10. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Typical that, off work all last week and not a drop,Back to work and rivers in perfect height :cry:.Hopefully it will keep having showers during week and keep it at a good level to try at weekend.
    Has any-body seen any fish going up the river yet.(hopefully they will all turn up at weekend) :wink:.

11. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Sorry lads i do not understand. I take it migratory fish enjoy more water so its easier to swim up river?.

Mick.

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

I think that the higher water helps the fish to run up through the shallower water, but ive seen them swimming through the shallows with 4 or 5 inches of their backs showing.

13. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Hi there Mick dunn,Sea trout and salmon will hang around the mouth of rivers untill there is a surge of water(fresh water) and then it is instinctive for them to swim up the river to a desired part of that river.Salmon will use the force of water to help them swim up also.
    So after a long dry spell,and then the river rises with a lot of rain, a great number of fish will enter into the river system,Thus a greater chance of connecting with a fish...

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Theres been lots of Trout around Dave. One of the netter reportedly had 150 trout in a single net last week.

Have you had a go at Slieghts yet Dave ? do all the same lads fish. It used to be a good laugh down there.

15. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Hi there Glenn,Been a while mate.
    Was down at Slieghts last week, most evenings,Good numbers of small stuff coming to the fly,One biggie jumped out from the roots of the first tree, just up from foot bridge, bottom of path(end of concrete bit).Only other one was just further down, from river gardens past beck end (est 6-7 pounds).Went to Glaisdale and lealhome but nothing showing.
    Lets hope for a good spell of water height in october this year,Get down under road bridge with rod and BIG NET.
    What with low water over last couple of years don't see as many faces down there now,Some times see derik and Andy(from love lane)and pete from Goathland.
    always good to catch up with the regulars.
    Take it easy mate and tight line see u soon.

16. bucko

bucko Guest

Salmo

You see the same faces as I do so its quite likely our paths have crossed.
    You didn't used to fish the fly a fair bit a few seasons ago did you?

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

Ian, how do you think this rain we are having/getting will affect Mulberry Whin? I'm concerned, as its forcast all week, and i'm going over there this Sunday.

Cheers
    Dave

18. bucko

bucko Guest

I'm unsure Dave- but having seen the beck quite close up nearer to Driffield it does have a lot of sluice gates and suchlike to control and divert flows. I'd also imagine that the chalk in the ground would hold and 'filter' any colour out.
    Hopefully!!

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cheers Ian. I've just looked at the BBC weather forecast on the internet, and it shows less rain over there, all week. Its funny how we'll grasp at straws when it comes to fishing.

20. bucko

bucko Guest

No worries Dave.
    I've got a week in Hawick next month and I'm already worried about too little/too much water!
    Mind you, as Teviot is really a 'back end' river I might be better off starting the raindance now.