1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

salmon fishing prices

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by peter catchpole, Nov 13, 2011.

1. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi all,i have been on the fish tyne website to try & price some salmon fishing for next year :surprise: i cant believe the daily prices from £60 to £90 per rod per day on some tyne beats ,its a hard game ,hard enough without these prices ,basically you pick a day pay the price & hope theres water hope theres fish & hope you catch a fish too nothing changes im sure i can get tweed fishing cheaper well i will keep looking ,( i wish i had never left ,nerac :laugh:)

2. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yeh can be a bit off putting especially as you cant bank on weather or river conditions and if its a write off then its money gone no refunds. you pay your money and take the chance, happened to me lost a couple of days due to a massive spate in scotland had to go drowned me sorrows in the local watering hole and wait & hope for the conditions to change.
    where would you say is the best value day ticket water for salmon or seatrout fishing , Mine would have to be the River Spey, Grantown on Spey Association or Abernethy Angling association If you go in june, july its fantastic usually plenty of fish about and the night time fishing for seatrout is second to none. heres a couple of links
    http://www.speyfishing-grantown.co.uk/index.htm
    http://www.river-spey.com/abernethy.html

3. peter catchpole

cheers fella i will make a few enquiries i have fished mainly welsh & tyneside rivers ,but also the till ettrick tweed nith & whiteadder rivers im near manchester so i like to travel around 150 miles each way .its a long lonely drive on your own :tired: :laugh:

4. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

have you thought about joining the prince albert angling society they have good access to all the west coast rivers from south west wales to the scottish borders including the welsh dee , ribble, hodder,lune,which are all not that far from you mate :happy:

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Peter

Buying salmon fishing by the day or week is just like placing a bet a the bookies. The odds have been worked out pretty thoroughly and whilst there is still a chance on some of the beats at the lower end of the price range, they base their prices solely on the historic actual catch returns. As with the horses though, occasionally luck is with you and long odds pay off. I still buy odd days like this, for example at the Fairnilee beat on the Tweed, but I'm under no illusions as to the likelyhood of success. or otherwise.

That's why I'm sticking with my season ticket salmon fishing, which in my opinion gives you most 'bang for your buck'. My experience on association water, or season ticket water, is that catches are not always as accurately recorded - for some reason rods can become muddled on how much on how few they've caught! :whistle: :whistle:

Tight lines, Rupert

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Seek and ye shall find Peter.
    I know you have tried a few of the Welsh clubs but try a year on the Teifi (Llandysul).
    I have only done a few weeks on different years down there but its seriously good for the soul and there seemed to be a few more grilse coming up with the 'sewin' than you would think.
    Beautiful water, great management, good season ticket price and probably only 2.5 hours drive for you.

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Hello Peter, I am in Bishop Auckland and District Angling Club. I was in the Northumbria Anglers Federation so that i could fish the Tyne and Coquet but the travelling killed it for me.
    Bishop Auckland have 25 miles of the River Wear which has to be the best Sea-Trout river in the country. They have 3 miles on the Tees for Salmo,Sea-Trout ,brown trout and Grayling..They also have stillwater trout fishing on the Witton Castle lakes with discounts to all its members.
    Full membership is £160 a season £50 joining fee.
    I think its marvelous value for Sea-Trout,Salmon,Brown-Trout,and Grayling.

8. peter catchpole

thanks lads all good sound advice , i left prince albert club this year ,there was way to many anglers queing up on the beats i found it very hard to get any peace & fish any pool without folk stood behind it wasnt for me ,i have looked on the felling anglers website & will check the bishop aukland club out im used to booking odd days & as rupert says its in gods handsm but i have to admit i have had the best & biggest fish on the tyne beats ,maybe its time to jejoin ,tyneside anglers syndicate again ,i wonder if dave carrick is still the man ? cheers pete

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I talk to a few lads that dropped out of Bishop-Auckland Angling Club and lately the club has allowed past members who can show proof can reapply and not have to pay the £50 joining fee which at £110 a season cant be bad.
    I think if i had to fill the cars fuel tank up for a trip to say Scotland i would get a shock.
    Only last night i put a tenners worth in the tank moveing the gauge to 1/4 full in me little 206.
    Maybe a good idea to send Santa a note for a season ticket rather than smelly stuff and socks :wink: :happy:.

10. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I car'nt help with actual club info, but if you can find a decent club on the River Ure you would be in for a very pleasent surprise, the Salmon numbers in this river would rival just about all other rivers in England, and the spring run is up there with the very best.

Here's one of a few caught this year, it was taken on the 1st of May, tide bright and liced.

[​IMG]

11. peter catchpole

cheers teesdale ,i am sure lots will be takeing a closer look at the ure ,i know theres lots of salmon that run the ouse i used to do some picking up & beating with my gundogs nr nun monkton the salmon regulaly jump the weir there so the man who lives next to it tells me ?

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

A lad i know , his mate fished on the tweed last week , apparantly he did very well with the salmon , but at £670 plus v.a.t it wanted to be top fishing... :scared: :scared:

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Oh my God £670 would get me six seasons on the Wear and Tees.
    I am not knocking it because i believe that if you can afford the best get it.
    It doesnt always mean though that spending a lot gets you the best.
    I really enjoy trying to find salmon and sea-trout from parts of the rivers where others dont try.
    I now get as much pleasure spending time looking around where i fish ,even looking into the history.
    Maybe its an old age thing or maybe i am becomeing more boreing.
    I just hope next season i get out more than i have in 2011 ,fingers crossed. :happy:

14. coasty

coasty New Member

Looks a nice clean fish. The Ure is a beautiful river I am surprised we dont see more sea trout. Some of them seem to be heading up the Derwent...

Andy

15. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks a nice clean fish. The Ure is a beautiful river I am surprised we dont see more sea trout. Some of them seem to be heading up the Derwent...

Andy
    [/quote]

Apparently the guy who has the Bolton estate water on the Ure had a considerable amount of Sea Trout.

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

Could he be holding a double hander?

w.geograph.org.uk/photo/1488209

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

For some reason the link hasnt worked :angry:

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Funny that ure salmon pic was posted as 2 days ago i was asked if i wanted a run down the ure on sunday for a mooch . with a view to join a club for next year ., just hope the club has some nice water ...

19. bucko

bucko New Member

It fished as well as Tay on certain days during last Spring according to the angling press. :whistle:

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I fished the River Ure once a lot of years ago now and Spennythorpe was the streach.
    Seemed to remember getting a ticket at a pub.
    Its the Ure that runs near to Tanfield Trout Lakes isnt it ?.