1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon Fishing On The Tyne

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Oct 8, 2010.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I had been invited to fish on the South Tyne yesterday with Martin who owns whitby angling.

An early start and a 2 1/2hr drive and we were fishing by 8 o clock. As soon as we got to the waters edge, there were fish turning and jumping everywhere.

We tried a few pools on the lower stretch with no success. Martin suggested that we move to the top of the beat we were on and work our way back down the river throughout the day.

About a mile stroll along the bank and we were greeted by some fantastic looking water. We split up and fished either end of the pool. I was first to get a take on my single handed fly rod but wasnt concentrating and missed the bloody thing. Martin was next to get abit of interest but he managed to miss that aswell. I decided to move on and fish the next pool down which has a lye of around 150yds long. 'Theres got to be a fish in there' I said to myself.

As i was making my way down i noticed martin was in, not big but a perfect wild brownie of about 1lb. Martin said he was going to have 10 more minutes here before joining me in the next pool.

The water in this pool was far too fast for my fly so i put a Flying C on. I could see plenty of fish moving up the run but they just werent having it. Time for some lunch and a rethink. I was sat eating lunch studying the pool and decided to try my luck just where the water started to ease off. As soon as I entered the water the phone went. It was Martin, hed just landed a fish and told me to get my arse back up the river.

I collected my things and ran as fast as i could to try and find him. As i came around the bend hw was sat on the bank with a coffee shaking like a leaf with a stunning cock salmon somewhere between 13-15lb. :surprise:

WELL DONE on a new PB

After a few mug shots i decided to return to the poll i had just come from and second cast BANG a good take but no hook up. A few swear words later and BANG again. I was in. The fish tore line off the reel and headed around 200yds down river through a load of rapids. A quick exit onto the bank and i was running trying to keep up with it.

It finally stopped and i managed to get it near the bank and just as i was going to beach it, it shed the hook. :angry: not a massive fish but would have been a nice 6lber.

we carried on for a few hours more but no more hook ups for either of us apart from a micro brownie for me on the fly.

Martins salmon was caught using a new lure weve just got in - A STORM SLIM THUNDERSTICK 10cm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Sounds like you will be after more salmon Dan.
    And well done on catching the salmon pictured.

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

Sounds like you both had a great day.

Well done - Belting fish too. :yes:

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice write up Dan and what a cracking fish for Martin, shame you lost that fish but sounds like a good fight anyway :cool:

5. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

well done mint fishing eh

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fantastic report Dan well done to Martin on that cracking salmon and better luck to you next time.

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Fantastic Dan. Thats some boss you have there. Take it you left Smithy in charge of the fort ?

8. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Well done to the pair of you.

Why can't we all have bosses who invite us salmon fishing? ;-)

9. Baramundi Bob

I was just thinking that. Im gonna have a serious word with my boss now.

10. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yes glenn i was left here but hopefully going up on the tweed next week :whistle: :whistle:

11. Baramundi Bob

id be asking for a rise Smithy if theyre gonna leave you in charge you know. Then youll be able to afford to go fish the Tweed.

12. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it not too badly priced in places glenn

13. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

wednesday mine and daves salmon trip to the tyne will be on here showing you wat we didnt catch i bet

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice fishing lads- I'm hoping to get on Tyne next year by joining Northumbrian Anglers Federation.
    Coquet at Warkworth looked nice on Sunday night with quite a few very clean sea trout jumping.

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great report Dan and well done to martin on that beauty , Shame you loosing that fish like , its a nightmare when that happens .....especially on such a lovely fish.... :yes: