1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch Report Salmon Fishing On The River Esk Today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Had the privilege of watching Salmon and Sea Trout jumping at the wear today. Pictures and a short video at the following link.

Thanks for looking.

My Latest Blog Post. Salmon And Sea Trout On the River Esk Near Whitby - Salmon Leaping At Sleights Dam.

• Like Like x 2
  2. rupert

rupert Blenny

Brilliant salmon leaping and catching pictures there!

Whenever I try to capture the leaping pictures with my digital camera, I'm about 2 seconds too late by the time my finger engages with button - and salmon engages with leap!

The rain we've had recently has made me think of migratories, even on the inland rivers where I live. Despite the rainfall, I still don't think its worth any rod effort effort locally on the Rye, Derwent or Swale, but I'd love to know just how many Salmon and Sea Trout have actually taken advantage of the recent rise in river heights as its been massively high, brown, and out in our fields locally.

If we knew, I think we may be surprised with the answer as to what has actually migrated upstream on these 'unknown' rivers over the last 48 hours......

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Great photos glen, you really know what your doing with that camara. Great pic of the fish leaping

4. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Good stuff Glenn.

5. Glenn Kilpatrick

Depends what camera you have I guess Rupert. A couple of tips :

1. Pre focus then put it in auto focus so it doesn't need to do it again when fish jumps.
    2. Put Camera in burst mode - So it takes a number of shots in a row
    3. Consider putting camera on tripod and operating with a remote.
    4. Shoot at a fast shutter speed to freeze the fish and the water.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Glenn Kilpatrick

7. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yorkshire rivers seem to be improving massively of late.
    The river section I fish (a tributary of Ouse) is more a thoroughfare, with few pools, but I have still managed five this year.
    Lad I sometimes fish alongside was actually on the Swale the evening I caught my last one, and he saw a fish he estimated at 40lb's jumping up, alongside many others of very respectable size. Said it was heaving with them.
    And, as you say, the Derwent is on the up too.