1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon fishing in bonnie Scotland

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Sambo, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

After reading Rupert's excellent article on lure fishing for Salmon last week I realised I regretted not trying Salmon fishing already, I've always wanted to try but for various reasons (normally lack of funds!) I've never had the chance. Well all that changed when Rupert left me a message asking if I fancied a day's Salmon fishing on the Annan this Saturday, it took me a good second or two to think about it!
    As soon as I had finished speaking to Rupert I shot straight to the garage like an exciteable kid and put together a selection of suitable Salmon lures. Within 30mins everything was ready for the days fishing, it was just a shame I still had 3 days to wait!

Saturday came and I arrived at Ruperts for 6.20am (was a smidge late due to the thick fog on the hills), quick transfer of gear to his (very fast) BMW and we were away. The 3hr drive up shot by and it wasn't to long before we were at the waters edge. The Annan is a nice looking river, was expecting (hoping) to loads of 30lb Salmon jumping everywhere but there wasn't many fishing showing at all.

The lack of rain during the previous day meant lure fishing was a no no, it was going to be a day on the fly. I've done a bit of fly fishing for Trout but I was very much a Salmon fishing novice, with this in mind Rupert kindly gave me one of his trusty Salmon flies and put me on a nice spot that has produced fish for him in the past. After a quick tutorial on where to cast and when to retrieve I was away.

I waded out and starting working away, I was expecting it to be a difficult day with the aim of maybe being lucky enough to get a take. My mind set was already in 'long haul' mood expecting to have to work for hours before getting a take, it was to my surprise that I had a take within 20mins! For a second I was a tad confused, me, a firstimer getting a take already? Can't be! But a slight strike of the rod resulted in an awful lot of splashing, FISH ON!

So it begins! :hurt:

[​IMG]

Rupert waded down stream to see me with a big smile on his face, obviously chuffed I was into a fish. After 5 mins Rupert still made no effort to get the landing net ready, this wasn't a good sign I thought! I soon realised why, my wee Trout rod was somewhat undergunned for the job! The fish would either just sit in the fast current or zoom off downstream, either way I couldn't do a thing with it :surprise:

5 mins gone and still fighting!

[​IMG]

It's been a while since I was this nervous when playing a fish, they shake their heads so violently that I expected it to slip the hook at anytime. Fortunately lady luck was very much on my side and after another 5 mins or so the fish was in the net, I've never been so relieved!! Phew.

A lovely clean fish of 8.5lb, to say I was happy was a massive understatement! I was beaming all day, must of been hard work for Rupert to put up with me :embarrass:

My prize for the day:

[​IMG]

Once I had calmed down we eventually got back to the fishing, I did joke that I've probably peaked way to early and I was right! Unfortunately despite our best efforts neither of us had another take all day, well, Rupert had a dinky Rainbow Trout but I'm not sure if he'll count that :cheesy: It was a real shame Rupert didn't manage to hook any Salmon, he put in a lot of effort to put me on to my fish so the very least he deserved one as well but it wasn't to be.

The master himself:

[​IMG]

Working his magic:

[​IMG]

No fishing trip would be complete without a visit here :hungry:

[​IMG]

Well it was a cracking day, really enjoyed myself and chuffed to bits with my first Salmon. A BIG thank you to Rupert for giving me the opportunity to sample Salmon fishing. Top bloke :yes:

Cheers,
    Sam

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done sam :yes: :yes: cracking fish, well done on rupert finding you the fish :yes:

3. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

What a great report Sam, the excitement still there in your words. Well done on the fish mate. I bet Rupert is now your official fairy god father.

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

Sam

I'm still absolutely capped that you caught. Any first of any species is special, but a fly caught salmon, must be pretty close to the top of angling achievements. :educated:

Anyway, have you stopped grinning yet :laugh: :laugh: "Our lass" must be sick of hearing about the day??????

I'm really looking forward to part 2 of this report - The culinary sequel with your Simon!

I'm equally looking forward to seeing you sporting that tweed cap you said you'd have to buy now!

Well done. :yes:

Rupert

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: Unfortunately I now have an image of Rupert dressed up as a fairy (and I don't mean Dale Winton!) :scare:

It's right up there Rupert, top 3 at least :cheesy: the Salmon is booked in to be cooked at our Sie's this evening, I'll probably have burger n chips :embarrass: "Our Lass" has only told me to "stop going on about that f'in Salmon" once today so I've still got a few hours of exciteable waffle to go :wink:

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

absolutely superb stuff mate, well done, I'm really pleased for you! :yes:

7. deecee

deecee Blenny

Fantastic report. Very well done on a really nice fish. I've spent untold hours salmon fishing without catching - you should be both pleased and proud.

Thanks for sharing

Dave

8. andym

andym Rockling

Well done Sam!A cracking report and excellent photos

9. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Very well done Sam on a fantastic achievement and what a brilliant gesture from Rupert, top bloke indeed.

10. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

that is a great read and a great fish to get on a fly with a trout rod well done ..

11. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Congratulations on your first Salmon Sam. Great report and what a gent Rupert is for putting you on the fish!
    Well done.

Nick

12. langy

langy Rockling

Nice one Sambo :happy:

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Well done to the pair of you dont forget we have some good salmon rivers on our doorstep.
    Now youve got the salmon bug a sea-trout has to be your next target.
    Good job the fish was not the big one you were dreaming about ,they cant half pull cant they. :wink: :happy:pB

14. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done sam, a great acheivment

cant believe you beat me to it tho. ill have to try harder next time

15. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done sam, Seen a few lovely salmon moving up our beck over the last couple of days. SOme pushing doubles aswell

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done Sam -thats a cracking fish :yes:

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Dream fishing that sam , well done mate . :yes: :yes:

18. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb read Sam,well done mate on a cracking fish and fine achievement.Top marks to Rupert too for giving you a helping hand.

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff Sam :cool:
    To get a salmon on the fly on your first go must be something special :educated:
    Full marks to Rupert for giving you the opportunity and to put you on the fish,a very generous gesture :happy:

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Brilliant stuff Sam, Im just a little envious.