1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmo salmo why won't you stay on my hook

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by ijakk, Oct 14, 2012.

1. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have never caught a salmon before but in the last 2 sessions, I have managed to lose 2 of them whilst spinning, I'm absolutely gutted, just out of interest what set up do you use for salmon fishing, line strength etc, also what methods do you guys favour?

Many thanks

Rich

2. bucko

bucko New Member

From my experience its par for the course that you will lose some.
    Some days they just won't stay on at all- I remember losing 4 fish in 4 casts one day...devastating.
    What spinners were you using? Certain spinners don't seem to get a good a hold as others.

3. ijakk

It was actually plugs mate, first was on a rapala countdown, came off due to hook pull, the one on Sunday was on a salmo minnow, my own fault it was ready for the net but my net wasn't ready for it and as I tried to sort it out, he shot under a bush on my bank and snapped me in a heart beat, gutted
    Rich

4. bucko

bucko New Member

Its the nature of the beast mate- fast moving, incredibly strong fish that test hookholds (and nerves) to the max.
    I have had more than a couple where the lure has fell out of their mouths in the net or the hookhold has been so light that its a miracle I got it in.
    I often think a double would have a better hold than a treble as they certainly seem to get a secure hold when fishing the fly.

5. ijakk

Aye the speed of these things is incredible, do you ever use prawns or worms ? If so what the general technique trundling with a light ledger or trotting ?

Cheers

Rich