1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S.O.T. safety course ends

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by neil bugdol, Sep 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

For those who are not anglersafloat members, the topic is about how the requirement for the instructors to have costly insurance has brought an end to the safety course.

Sadly thats the result of the world we now live in. Health and safety idiots are ruining things for everyone.

3. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Thanks Glenn, wasn`t sure how to post it up.

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Safety 'meets' are still a possibility - were we get together and swap practical ideas on the water much like we do already on the forum :happy: .

Also most of us wont be too far away from a BCU affiliated club whom have weekly meets on pools, lakes etc. Open to everyone and all abilities. You dont normally need to join and just a few sessions with an instructor will have you confident and knowledgable in most basic safety aspects.

Ken

5. Baramundi Bob

There must be funding for this type of thing. Maybe you could have a word with Stuart Mac and see if he has any ideas on where you can tap some cash from.

6. Baramundi Bob

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

What a shame, really peeves me off that something so beneficial as these courses have to be stopped due to bl@@dy red tape :angry: It's a sad world we live in.

Having been on the course myself I know what new kayakers are going to be missing out on. A big thank you has to go to Paul, Simon, John and Helen and everyone else that had helped with the courses, the course proved invaluable to those that have attended.

8. Dorado

Dorado New Member

It isn't going to be totally the end, not if I have anything to do with it. Paul has been doing a lot of work behind the scenes, political negotiations and the like. The legal situation is that without us becoming BCU accredited coaches we cannot get liability insurance and a legal buff friend of his says we are leaving ourselves wide open to being sued.....there is a long winded route to becoming a 2 star sea coach, which includes HAVING to become canoe and kayak coaches in the same syllabus (so like saying you have ot learn to drive a car before you can learn to ride a bike, or vice versa).

I will do a couple of days like we did the other day Filey, but they will be much lower key. Paul isn't going to give up on the south coast totally I don't believe either. But the format of having 4 or 5 across the season will cease.

So don't panic just yet. The format will change slightly, so there is less theory and more on the water "advice". The RNLI will still be the recipients of the benefits.

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Who the hell thinks up these stupid laws that place restrictions on advancement of safety ,is there some kind of an idiot paid a fortune to think these up , :suspious:

10. Dorado

Dorado New Member

No, just a Government accepted (not appointed) governing body that has no interest or acceptance of sit-on-tops and as they have the eye of Gvt, all insurance for public liability is linked through their courses. In that if you try to get PL insurance the insurers expect a BCU affiliation, or it isn't accepted. In effect it is a monopoly on anything to do with paddling, even if they aren't interested in it. The people who think this up? The BCU of course - to protect their own little empire and to keep the money flowing in through memberships.

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think this one is a real shame to be stopped as from all the positive comments after each course it is obvious the experiences being passed on are helping folk. A long time ago I discussed the legal impications regarding insurance costs and public liability and did think it might be an issue eventually.
    Everytime I see these 'No win no claim' ads on Tv it annoys me at the greed of people to get money from the slightest of accidents........no sorry there is no such thing anymore....incidents with a blame and a cause is a more accurate description........I wonder how many people who's eyes light up with pound signs at the thought of compensation claims stop to think that they are the reason for our nanny state of health and safety madness !

I hope some other solution is found to help those who want to take advantage of the experience of those willing to pass it on.

:sad: :sad:

Regards Jellyworm