1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rupert's first porgie of the year.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rdngd, Jun 27, 2014.

1. rdngd

rdngd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yet again I have to say a massive thanks to Rupert for inviting me on his first sharking trip of the year. Loaded to the gunnels and hardly room for two guys even though Rupert is now a lot less than he was last year ( well done you ) we started off at silly o'clock Rupert saying is 5 am on the slip ok for yes I said setting my alarm for 1.30 am as the wife just shook her head. So off to one of Rupert's secret marks nearly 30 miles offshore with a bucket of macs fresh from the bell bouy I put down my normal shark bait a lose flapper and soon I had a live mac for Rupert. Not to long a wait and my rod went off, wait for the head shake then lever up and fish on but way to soon I had the fish back to the boat and very dark tope of about 20 lb so all you guys who say you only get tope on the bottom my bait was sett at 100 ft and in the tide must have been at about 80 ft in over 200 ft makes you think.
    Next it was Rupert's turn first two runs were to a seal why the hell are there seals that far offshore then on his third run fish on yes his first shark of the year. After well over an hour we had a porgie by the boat and I would put in over 300 lbs put it this way try as we did no way could two guys lift this one in and Rupert is a big guy.
    The only bad thing about the day I screwed up the photos wrong settings, sorry, just the joys of turning 60 or was it a ploy to go out again. So there you have it give the cod a rest and go and enjoy what you have offshore it is very special and Whitby is very lucky.

2. rdngd

No pics but a small video of a happy Rupert yesterday

[​IMG]

3. rdngd

Just click on pic to see video

4. Pugwash

Pugwash Blenny

I think you need a bigger boat!!!!!!!!

5. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wheeey way to go

6. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Well done Rup

Whos the skinny bloke with a fishing rod not seen him before?

Regards John

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Plenty of porgys about this summer the one we had with us was on the 12 mile but the other day one was round a boat on the 5 mile so they seem to be in numbers this year probably the mild winter has brought them in numbers when we had the 2 cold winters on the trot and the water was cool through the summer they seemed to be thin on the ground.

paul.

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Well Done on the porgie Rupert by hell fire you must be the only bloke in whitby who can hoola hoop in a polo
    tight -lines Alain

9. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one Rupert that'll keep you fit hauling them things in ;D

10. cps

cps Rockling

odd that as they are supposed to like cold water ,
    they seem to like it off the top of Shetland in the winter months although water temps up there may be no colder than our summer water with the gulf stream and all that

11. mww

mww Rockling

well done Rupert, you made the AT front page Exclusive...

[​IMG]

Looking good for your age mate!! ;D

Mart

12. rupert

rupert Blenny

Yes, I read last week about George Woodward's shark caught from Milford Haven.

Just hope I can make fishing headlines at his age!