1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rudder System Instalation- moken 14

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mike_t, Mar 18, 2013.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I picked up the Feelfree Moken 14 kayak this weekend with the rudder system. Now the rudder system had no instructions but between Rod of 1st Wet & Wild and my self we got the basics sorted.
    With the weather being pants I was confined to the dull lit garage but got there in the end.
    The rudder is controlled by toe peddles, which at first do not look like they would fit without something snapping first, but just behind the foot rest where the peddle fits on is a small groove to get the toe peddle on, simply slipping one side into the grove and rotating the peddles on. There are two metalic sprung clips which are inserted in between the foot rest and control peddle, there is another small recess for the spring to clip into holding it into place.

[​IMG]

The steel wire firstly passes through an adjusting screw then snakes under the foot rest and over the small wheel on the peddle and off through the tube to the rear of the yak, already installed installed. At first Iu thought the wire went through the first hole and into the second, but a length of tube runs front to back.

The Adjustment screw
    [​IMG]
    Threaded wire
    [​IMG]
    Tube next to the seat that leads to the rear
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used a small amount of celetape round the end of the wire to keep it all from fraying and to guide it through the far end of the tubing. The wire was very easy to thread through to the back end,
    [​IMG]

The rear of the yak has a large hole ready in place to fit the rudder into, a Busch fits into the hole and the rudder fits into the Busch. The rudder itself is very simple, tightening the spring in the rudder so when no tension on draw cord then the rudder is down, pull the cord and it lifts the rudder up and out the way.

Busch on the rudder with split ring to hold in place once fitted
    [​IMG]
    Rudder fitted to the yak
    [​IMG]
    Tentioner
    [​IMG]

Then just a case of threading the wire through the pulleys, which fit onto the bracket with the larger two pins and split rings,
    [​IMG]
    Set the adjustment screw halfway then set the tention on the foot peddles and crimp the wires and shrink the tubing down and job done.
    [​IMG]
    Last bit is to thread the cord to lift and lower the rudder, attaching to the rudder threading through and fastening the retainer onto the yak, checking it works all done.

This is my first rudder instalation, I have never seen one in use before. So may have made a hash of it or not. But I found it easy a lot of guess work but got there in the end.
    Cheers for reading Mike

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nicely done Mike, nice kayak as well :cool:

If you ever need a second pair of hands when rigging then give me a shout as I'm only up the road :yes:

3. mike_t

Cheers for the offer Sam, very good of you. Now the rudder is in place I just need to do the anchor trolly which should be a doddle.
    Might need a hand putting it on car each trip out :embarrass: bit heavier than last one

4. mike_t

just ordered uni track mount and anchor trolly, will post some pics of the yak when i get chance to get it out

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Looking good that Mike, I'm surprised there was no instructions, might try and get that one addressed :happy:

Ken

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Big lad like you Mike, I'm sure you'll be fine :yes: Failing that get yourself a little trailer and back it straight into the sea :cool:

7. mike_t

There was not any sent with the rudder kits, I think Fi or Rod said they were getting in touch regarding it. it was fun to do and figure out.
    Just have to get to gym more i think Sam, i took it off the car no problem, if i struggle i will knock something up to get it on the roof easier.

8. andym

andym Rockling

Looking good Mike and looked a lot easier than the install I did on my prowler ultra a few years ago the threading of the wires was a nightmare

The rudder can be a very useful addition in maintaining a straight course in certain circumstances but its a good idea to use it only when you need to otherwise you will get to rely on it and your paddle strokes will suffer (saying that my stealths rudder is non retractable so will have to make do with my poor paddling technique :whistle:)

9. mike_t

Once I got it sussed how it all went it really is an easy set up, nothing to compare it to but i found it easy.
    Need these winds to drop so I can get out on it

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

cheers guys, I will add this to the kayak fishing section on the main site

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/category/kayak-fishing/pimp-my-kayak/