1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubby dubby

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by jody, Jan 6, 2011.

1. jody

jody New Member

After 3 weeks off work and the wife nagging that there's no room in the freezer for food with all the mackerel in there I tried to make some of the above. I used equal parts by volume of dried bread and mackerel with a bottle of cod liver oil.

I made this mistake of making it in the kitchen which stunk like an abandoned brothel until I got some flash lemon sprayed about and all cleaned up. I was dreading the missus coming down as she'd only just cleaned the kitchen the day before and I'm not the tidiest of people.

My question is do other people make it and is there anything else they put in? I've still rakes of mackerel in the freezer and I was thinking about making another block. I was also going to use it on the kayak anchor, but does it attract the crabs as much as the fish as I'm already an expert at catching crabs, the crustacean ones I mean too!

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Jody just mash the makkie up with other fish pilchards whiting what ever you want to put in no need to put bread in its bran you should use i have a mincer ( like the one used in the Kitchin) i just mash all the fish i can get my hands on then on the day of fishing i only use the fresh one caught for the hook bait try a onion sack over the side you can then give it a shake from time to time to release a slick plus every now and again cut chunks of fresh makkie up and let them drift down tide aswell get yourself to the butchers shop and ask if he as any fresh blood mix it all up good luck and tight lines Alain

3. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Jody, Alains spot on!! use an onion sack and put it over the side i sometimes tie it or tiewrap it a foot above my anchor rope to get the scent down its also better to mash it up on the day as the blood will dry out,get some bran it and any sort of oil that will make a slick,once mashed with the fish,no harm in giving your hookbait a good squirt with wd40,always worked for me ,good luck!!

4. jody

jody New Member

Sounds like I've messed up then I've got a frozen block of it now, although I could thaw it out before I go fishing. I thought the bread would make it go further and absorb the fish scent and oils. I'll give this block a go the first time, but at least I know for future Thanks lads.

I've got an onion sack which I'd planned to attach to the anchor I'll make sure it's kept off the bottom then.

I've heard of using WD40 before for cod and dogfish I wasn't sure if it would work. I really fancy catching some bull huss and a few different species this year so that might be the ticket.

Cheers All

Jody

5. Churchill

Churchill Double figures all the way!!!!!

Wd40 is good for joints I have had a bad elbow I spray it on twice a day it's soaked in now and doesn't creak anymore!!!!

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Churchill what you need to do is spray the WD40 onto a slice of bread then you will have far quicker healing time on your elbow i use to lubricate my bowels makes me have the Doggie do do for a few days but no squeaks or bad breath great stuff jody the rubby you have made will be ok on a anchor rope if you put over the side it will float unless you stick a few leads into the sack tightlines Alain

7. Churchill

Churchill Double figures all the way!!!!!

If your tying to be funny the word is bowels!!! What did you do with bowls spray them and eat them?????????