1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough ground tackle loss,how much do you lose

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by craig t, Sep 3, 2014.

1. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just out of curiosity what's everyone's tackle loss like when fishing rough ground the reason I ask is I don't seem to get very much back at all and it was the same before I switched to fs and braid.
    My standard set up is a Century BB, Shimano ultegras loaded with 65lb whiplash straight through to a 60lb sakuma rig body and snood.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Do you use a rotten bottom system ??

I would loose on average 5 plain leads per trip. Some trips you loose non, others you can loose 10 or more. It averages out at about 5 per trip.

Not often should you be getting snagged and loosing the lot. You should just be snapping your rottom bottoms off. Strong cross winds can increase tackle loss.

3. craig t

Yeah i use a upturned Gemini link with an 18lb link about eight inches long

4. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I would say I lose bout 30% of my leads on average and couple of rigs per session.
    Should u be using a shockleader with braid in the rough?

5. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

106lb braid main, 70lb shock, 60lb rig body, 50lb links to hook and rotten bottom section, 20-30lb rotten links.

Used to use 66lb PP main, but found it snapped when 50lb mono snoods were hooked, which used to drive me nuts. Nothing worse than losing fishing time retying shock. And hated leaving that amount of kit on marks too.

Re. Lead losses - I guess 35% on fairly rough marks is a good estimate.

I rarely use grip leads, though know some people say that works better?

6. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

60lb Chinese braid straight through with a 80lb rubbing leader. 80lb rig body, 60lb snood with 1 swivel and a canny link.

Loose hardly anything.

Lee

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I agree with most of the comments , I have fished most of the session and hardly lost a sinker other times its been
    a sinker a shot ----- A couple of years ago I made up some pebble sinkers and they worked a treat , they cast well far enough to catch fish in heavy ground , especially with a fixed spool reel a 100 + yard cast is no problem
    they only cost pence to make and the good news is they DONT get stuck as easily as leads

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I'd say your rotten bottom is too light mate I've switched to 30lb and lose a lot less

9. craig t

Have you swapped your main line to 30 lb Matty and what would you suggest for weak link

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Fixed spool 60lb braid mainline , 100lb leader, rotten bottom 25lb for most of my rough ground distance/tide fishing. On scaurs like Holbeck etc I go to 40lb mono straight through and no rotten bottom but a cheapo grip lead and managed a number of sessions on one or two leads last year , I like to use grippers in the white water shots. Rough ground mono hole shots like Cloughton ,Hawsker 40lb mono 25lb rotten bottom.

I was using 15lb rotten bottom but you just lose more leads, I had a mental hang up about ditching the lead to prevent fish getting fast up, but I ve got over that mind set now :p and have saved on leads by a long way.

In a 6 hour match though I still take enough leads for at least three leads an hour plus a couple extra, usually 22 leads of a mix of grippers and plains and have got down to the last couple on a bad day !

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

No mate I just use 60lb braid straight through. Rigs are made with 70lb sakuma, and rotten bottom any old cheap 30lb mono

12. craig t

Plenty for me to think about then as a side subject what knot do the lads using braid use for attaching the link or swivel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

When fishing in heavy ground with mono you certainly don't want 30lb main line 40 lb minimum --- 50 lb even better , or as Jellyworm said a high BS braid

14. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Christ I need to up my game, 25lb max and 50% of my rock fishing is with 18lb

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I witnessed you use heavier than that for 50% of your fishing on one occasion...............because you only had enough braid on for 50% of that cast, how did it go ?..............cast , swoosh, ping "Bollox I didn't have enough braid on there" ! lol ;D ;D ;D.....Stottlebinks I think wasn't it ;) ;) ;)

16. quint

Yes Dave I remember, live and learn ha, don't use braid now on multi, still looking at f/sp for hi cliffs so I can get enough line on, but don't know if I can justify expense, tried one other day with wr, was fine but and fk my back up

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Have a borrow of my fin nor Iain see how you find it .

18. quint

I will do Dave thanks, it sounds good anyway, as I said borrowed a penn battle 8000 off Arliss, he's had a 6lber up cliffs, says it's built like a tank

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The fin nor makes the battle look like a float fishing reel ! I ve got one of each and both are tanks but the fin nor has the edge on retrieve power. No flex and just sit back rod butt locked and wind........cranks like an Alvey but a hell of a lot quicker.

I ll drop by your way sometime soon let you have a go for a bit with it.