1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rope Access On the Yorkshire Coast - Article About Recent Death Of A Jet Miner !

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Worth a read. Seems the author has jumped on the bandwaggon and completely got his facts wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/the-northerner/2014/aug/11/hanging-by-a-thread-whitbys-jet-and-fossil-hunters

Also read more about extreme fishing here.

2. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

saw it Glenn! hope the reporter didnt get paid for all his hard home work for the article, and also what made me laugh were the comments below the article where people didnt believe anglers actually went down the ropes!

its terrible someone has lost their life falling. its never nice to hear especially when its so close to home and a place we all use through the season from time to time, i nearly fell myself on the get down last winter when the earth went from under me

3. Baramundi Bob

Life would be no fun without any fun Richard. Terribly tragic news that this poor guy lost his life, and possibly even more tragic for his friend who must be bloody traumatised.

But as Ive always said, If I die persuing something I love then please all of you make sure everyone at my funeral is told to be happy and know I went whilst having fun.

Live your life and enjoy it to the max and dont try stop others from doing the same.

4. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The lad involved is a friend of a friend over boro way he said he was a gentleman. Not to be crossed. And that his family/friends will be gutted at his sudden and tragic death. I hope people realise the danger involved when pursuing these type of things. Weather It be angling rock climbing pot holeing there is a 100 ways to hurt even kill yourself or others.

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well I suppose we could all sit at home like couch potatoes and what an exiting world that would be OR you can
    go out and persue what you really love taking as much care as you can but accepting there is a risk involved , like
    most things in life ---- what would life be without an element of risk may I suggest totally boring , if I came unstuck tomorrow doing what I have loved most in my life --- Fishing, well it would all have been worth it , If you
    smoke long time , its a 50 / 50 chance you will die because of it , just as long as people can accept the risks life
    throws up what is the problem ---- As to the reporter its that old adage a little knowledge is dangerous

6. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

7. Pony

Pony Yorkshire karma. It s called come uppence

2 people a year get electrocuted turning off the alarm clock, about 5 die putting their socks on,you know hop hop hop and out the window. We're all immortal,er,well so far. Shame about the gadge, but accidents do happen.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Government figures suggest 23,530 people were either killed or seriously injured last year in road accidents, and many thousands more injured in reported accidents.
    Any death is sad, especially when its someone we know. In general, I would say, all considered, that our saftey record is very good.

What annoys me is how H&S is conveniently drip fed to us by peoole who have been sucked into it, over isolated incidents, yet turn a blind eye to huge ammounts of deaths and injuries in other areas.

Most of H&S nowadays is usually more to do with shifting blame because of financial implications rather than the welfare of the people involved imo.

Just be careful what you wish for everytime you jump on the bandwagon and criticise someone for having an accident persuing something he loves doing.Its all seriously eating away at our freedom.

If you disagree you could always sell your car

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well said Ray ----- A lot of Elf and Safety is about empire building and jobs for the boys , it lost its way several years ago , how the hell do you know you are alive without some element of risk ? without some risk life would merely be an EXISTENCE

10. Baramundi Bob

The difference in freedom from when we were younger to the present day is immense Ray, and in my eyes society is massively worse off for it.

And yes most of the new regulation and pressure comes from people sucked in, and most often people so dull and boring they never had a day of fun in their entire life, unless of course they derive that fun by telling the rest of us how we should behave.

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Too true glenn. People read articles and instantly make black and white conclusions. Ropes are put down to make access easier and safer. People take it upon themselves to get rid of them at times thinking they are doing someone a good turn!
    Its too easy to condemn something which doesnt affect you or your life.
    No doubt the reporter was a non drinking, non driving person who was donned in harnesses and climbing gear, who checked the tide state and size, weather conditions etc. Carried a compass and a whistle, contacted the coastguard just in case he got cut off from the tide! Hope he had a hard hat too he was standing precariously close to the crumbling cliffs. Where will it all end?

12. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

feeling better ray?

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

yes, after getting that off my chest bill ;D but it took me three days to type 8)

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Wrap yourself in cotton wool, visit the doctors weekly for the latest time prolonging drugs (not quality of life but length of life), shop at Morrison's just so you can block the aisles with your zimmer frame mumbling to a similar wrapped in cotton wool shuffler about what medication you are on......then when you finally leave this mortal coil you shuffle up to the pearly gates , somewhat delayed by a pitifully dull extended life of worrying when the inevitable is going to happen and plead to be let in !

Or,

Crack on, live life to the full, do something that scares you every now and then and eventually screech up to those same pearly gates shouting " YAAAHOO,,,, THAT WAS ONE HELL OF FECKING RIDE NOW LET ME IN ! " ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

H&S MY ARSE ! Soon be time to be scampering about on those ropes and cliffs 8) 8) 8)

• Like Like x 1
  15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Love it ;D ;D

16. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

No Ray he's just an ignorant arsehole !!

17. Baramundi Bob

18. Baramundi Bob

Yep, thats the way Dave. But each to their own of course. If people dont want to enjoy life, just leave the rest of us in peace to do it.

19. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Surprised your looking forward to the real party with such gusto Dave, at least down here we still have the slight option of choice as to how we live our lives, unless of course you live in North Korea or the Islamic State of Sinbad, we can even choose which supermarket to shop in, but boy once through them gates the real fun begins

20. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well said Dave , totally agree ---- Years in your life OR Life in your years , Im glad I was born before the Elf And
    safety took over