1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rod refurbishing/re ringing for forum members

Discussion in 'Charter Boats & Tackle Shops.' started by Jellyworm, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

[​IMG]
    This is a factory fitted guide on a Fox Jerkbait rod.
    [​IMG]
    Same rod but a replaced guide due to the rod being dropped and a kayak landing on it...the finish is equal to the factory finish.

[​IMG]
    Hand cut replacement sticker and new whipping on a Century Fireblade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Underwhipped metallic red ,gold trim and black over whipping with new Fuji BNHG.

[​IMG]
    Hand whippings.

[​IMG]
    Rod stripped and re-lacquered and new rings fitted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Foil under trim and black over whippings.

2. paulbmurphy

paulbmurphy New Member

Hi, this looks like great quality work. Are you able to repair smashed rod joints? Perhaps I'll send you a picture to see if you can manage it. (it's a trout rod)

best wishes,

Paul

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Sounds no problem at all .I will need to see the damage to assess how best to tackle the problem.Depending on the break it will have to be either an internal spigoted repair or possibly a bonded sleeved external repair both are acheivable.If it is a simple clean break then the action of the rod won't be altered too much.The repaired area will then be whipped in matching threads to the rest of the rod and so although being noticeable it should not detract too much from the original. If it is a simple split spigot then I can also look at a very simple bonded and over-whipped repair.
    Send me a couple of pics of the damage please.

Regards Jellyworm.

4. randal1607

randal1607 New Member

Hi, I am very impressed with the photos of the rod build and whipping. I have a Greys Triplex rod that the middle section came out of the butt section during a cast. The result was that the top of the butt section was split and I tried to fix it myself. The rod works a treat but does not look the part especially when the rest of the rod is as new. Can you give me an idea of cost and a name and contact number, please. I also have another beachcaster in need of a complete rebuild so I would be interested in a finding out an approximate cost. Many thanks

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve pm'd you details randal. :happy:

Cheers Jellyworm

6. paulbmurphy

paulbmurphy New Member

Good to hear it - will send pics soon. I live in Beverley so will drop off to you, if you can fix

Paul

7. Tim

Tim New Member

Hi,

I've got two 12ft beach rods that are fitted for multipliers and I would like to have them fitted for F/S so that I can give them to a couple of little friends as a gift.

I also have a four piece spinning rod that was broken just near a joint, I have started to repair it but would like it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I can drop them off in Hull as I pass through fairly often to fish the Holderness Coast.

If I knew how to do a pm I could give you my e mail address (don't want to put on a public site) and perhaps you could give me a quote.

Thank you,

Tim

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Tim to send a pm to me go to the top of this thread and where you see jellyworm below you will see a littlle speech bubble.Hover your cursor over it and it will say send online message.
    the re rining of the rods no problem at all and i will have a look at the snapped rod for you to see if it repairable.
    I ve sent you a pm with my mobile phone details.
    Turn around for the job lot would be about 3 weeks.

Cheers Jellyworm.

9. Al

Al New Member

I have a fly rod that needs to have a couple of new eyes and re-laquering. Be glad to send the business your way. Can you put a personalised sticker on it?? That would be ace. A rod with my name on it

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi Al, I am sure that the re ringing would not be a problem but to order the eyes I would need to know sizes and if possible exact model or type of eye please.If you don't know the type then a photo would help.

To effectively re-lacquer the whole rod would require the blank to be stripped of all eyes and then stripped re -varnished.Is that what you mean or do you mean the lacquer/high build over just the replaced eyes ?

All the above is not a problem but a photo or a chat would help, I have a supplier for most of the popular fly rod guides and would need to order the specific parts for your rod..

Cheers Jellyworm.(Dave).Look forward to a pm with a picture or give me a call on the number at the top of the thread.

11. sammer111

sammer111 New Member

Hi, I have a pair of penn INXS rods that are 12'9'' in length. I was given them from a friend a few years ago at about £50 however he misused them.
    As a result, the varnish is in a shabby state and all of the eyes are either bent or scratched.

Would it be possible for you to completely have the rods stripped, apply new shrink tubing, re-whipp and new rings fitted (Fugi Luminous Shock Ring Guides), and then re-lacquer the rods.

What i am really after is some sort of an estimate or quote from you so if you could that would be great.

Thanks,
    Sam

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Pm sent to you Sam with estimate for work.

13. langy

langy Rockling

jellyworm uve got a pm

14. CBass

CBass New Member

I've just got a rod back off Jelly, he re-whipped it and put a new real seat on. It was pretty tired when I gave him it but it looks fantastic now. He said he wasn't over the moon with the finish so knocked a few quid off. I don't see that he could have made any money doing it but I am really pleased with the finish. Top job. :yes:

If you have a rod needs doing I would get in touch with him before he puts his prices up!

15. woody

woody New Member

you did a fantastic job to my century ld dave keep up the good work !

16. johnstacey

johnstacey New Member

hi
    got my old daiwa back off jellyworm and the finish on the ring he replaced is great. i didn't know what make the rings where that where on the rod but he even some how tracked down the original ring type so they all match. its going back after this season for a full rebuild.
    thanks again dave

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Have had a sudden influx of jobs and so have invested in a better jig and more thread choice.

All I m asking is if you need a rod doing before winter get it in now as I have a couple of full strip/re-builds already booked for the next couple of weeks and one in the jig now.

Cheers Jellyworm.

18. johno

johno New Member

hi dave i would like to have 2 penn boat rods rewipped with fuji rings as mine have rollers on can you help bob

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Johnno you have a pm.

20. bunny78

bunny78 New Member

Hi dave,
    Its Andy from Redcar glad ive booked my apollo in lol, looks like you are gonna be busy.