1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hoods Bay This Evening, Cracking Sport With The Pollack And Coalies

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I took a quick look at the sea on the way home from work and it looked pretty good for a bit of kayak fishing throughout the evening. A quick look at XC weather revealed a slightly increasing wind from the west so I decided on Robin Hoods Bay to get a bit of shelter.

I got to Boggle hole around 5.45 and launched soon afterwards, the ride across the bay was a rather bumpy one and I can only assume this was some form of tidal effect as the wind was non existant and there certainly was no swell in the water. After about an hour of being out there the water fell flat and the fish came on.

I fished around North Cheek and trolled the old favourite Crystal Minnow up and down over the rock ledges. After a short while with no takes I sat and cast the plug whilst stationary. At the end of the retreive on my first cast a decent sized coalie leaps out the water after the lure. I actually ducked as I thought it was gonna hit me in the face. Basically i $hit myself as I just was not expecting that.

I started trolling again and the fish started to come slowly but constantly. My first pollack to the yak took the red head yo zuri on the middle trebble. It fought like hell which anyone who has ever caught pollack on the yak will tell you is one of the most awesome feelings in Kayak fishing. The fish weighed about 5 pounds and I quickly put it out of its misery before recasting. Tomorrows tea nicely in the bag I could now concentrate on trying to get a bigger fish out.

As the night wore on I had roughly 10 pollack upto 6lbs, but sadly not the double figure pollack that still eludes me. I also had a pleasant surprise of several large coalies upto around 4lb, its been a while since Ive seen any of that size.

I also managed a few mackerel, but sadly no bass. En route back to the slipway therewas fish jumping all over in the bay with mackerel and coalies feasting on the spratts near to the shore at Robin Hoods Bay.

All in all another amazing evening afloat. Lets hope the weather is kind and we can get lots more opportunities to get at the pollack before the end of October.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andym

andym Rockling

Fantastic some stonking coalies amongst the Pollack too

3. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report n picture there Glenn . Been wanting to get over my self all weekend but had work commitments . Good on ya .
    John .

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Glenn, always good to see the pollock :yes: Give it a couple of weeks and you'll have your double :wink:

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great report and excellent photos, Nice to see decent billets re appearing again as well.

6. bucko

bucko New Member

That looks like a good session- bet those big billets put up a tussle!

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Looks like great sport Glenn, Good to see decent size Coalies we never seem to get many over 2lb mark heaven knows were they go to when they get bigger. Did you get many good Coalies on Skye?? one afternoon a shoal must have came past and got string fulls on the feathers and they were good size ones but I guess they must bugger off to Norway when they get over 3lb apart from that stray one that Smokey caught all them years back.. Anyway well done on the fishing..

8. ghoti

ghoti Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking fish and cracking pictures too

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Cracking report Glenn....nice to see the big eyed warriors are showing around my favourite ground :cool:

The clarity must be better than it is down here ? I ve spent the morning paddling along from Flambro' to past Bemmo at all sorts of ranges to see if I could pick up a fish or two......nothing not a sniff but the water is murky green still :sad:

I was up Scabby way and it was clear yesterday.

Was it cleared out around RHB ?

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good report there Glenn , some cracking coleys , Me and our Martin were round long hole on Friday , plenty of bites but only scrap ,

we then climbed up the rope nearest RHB it nearly killed me off , knackered wasn't the word , the weather was hot and my shirt was stuck to me , just getting to old for that sort of caper

11. Baramundi Bob

Crystal clear mate, looked awesome.

12. Baramundi Bob

Well your doing betetr than me as I wont go up that rope anymore.

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I don't know how you northern gits do it! I,ve dragged plugs for miles and miles down here and can count the number of pollack I,ve caught on one hand!

14. Howard

Howard Blenny

Same here Ray they must be dafter the further north . :crazy:
    Good write up G. proper summer this ones turning into.

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

They are Howard but they can still catch pollack :laugh:

There was one evening at burnish when I think back. I had an x-rap with a red belly on and could hardly get a paddle stroke in before I had one on but they were all about 2lb. Never had anything massive but my better ones have always come to jellies.

16. Baramundi Bob

Yo Zuri Crystall Minow. If pollack are in there they fall over themselves to get to it. Think I could have had a lot more but had to leave best place as sun was going doing. Maybe should have stayed into darkness.

17. bucko

bucko New Member

How deep are you fishing it Glenn? Slow and shallow or cranking a bit to get it down?

18. Baramundi Bob

Just trolling it. Often the takes come when you stop paddling. Everyone has there favourite speed. Mike barely paddles at all where Ill cover the ground twice as fast as him. Different things work on different days, but I must admit Mikes had at least 2 doubles and I havent. How relative that is to speed I dont know.

With regards to depth I dont think they go much deeper than about 6 ft even if dragged at speed. I find they run about 2 ft deeper than a maria chase on average, but stay down in swell.