1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hoods Bay Sea Fishing - Rope access ( not for health and safety freaks)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Davo

Davo Rockling

Re: Rope access ( not one for the health and safety freaks !! )

Spot on Frank, thats exactly what i'm thinking. Respect for the lads doing it :yes: If you've got the bottle, then do it and get as much out of life as you can.

2. OLD GRUMPY

OLD GRUMPY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i bet reading a post on" What do you forget to take or what have you forgotten."would be very interesting.seriously though all credit to you and please take care.all the best

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

lol, nice one

4. nickid

nickid Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have a few marks that need to be climbed but my daughter is a good angler also but can't take her to the marks.
    Rough ground rock marks she is a very at home at but defo not a rock climb

5. Re: Rope access ( not one for the health and safety freaks !! )

not for me either like my fishing but arnt part mountain goat looks a bit dodgy and dont like heights :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

6. jmswnstck

jmswnstck Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is it easy to get a job after completion of rope access training?

7. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Rob Q , do you use full SRT gear, with leg loops,chest harness, rappel racks/ Petzle descenders/ 8"s, cowtails and ascenders, I only ask because I (up to some years ago ) was a certificated SRT caving instructor, with shedloads of descents / ascents up to G5 + under my belt.
    I had to pack it in when I smashed my ankle up , a bit like Dave did, only I fell out of a tree when Chub spotting on a local river,fell 30 feet, into 6 ft of water, and smashed the ankle on pointy rocks, needed to be roped myself to get up the 12ft vertical mud bank right , my ankle was well mashed and needed 2 ops and 8 months recovery, I have not roped since then, as I have a lot of pain still in my ankle, and could not face getting rescued by some of the lads that I taught. :crazy: I had a good stretch off work with that one.
    Anyhow, good on you and Dave for giving it a go, I must admit though, that I would not use any of the ropes I have seen in permanent placings on the cliffs, :no: I really believe that Static kermantle with at least 3 point anchors,and with relay anchors at every 50ft is the only way to go, for safety sake.
    Keep up the good work and let us know of any future catches.

Roger.

8. Tight lines

Tight lines New Member

Think i'd rather go to morrisons to get a fish :happy:

9. king ling

king ling Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think a visit to the fish shop rather than tackle that.

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi Roger, we ve got static ropes, fig 8 , Petzl gri ri, petzl ASAP , only use hip/leg harness and petzl handed ascenders. We have got loops for prussics and for leg loops but we ve not needed the leg loops yet.
    For the next trip down that one, we ve already sussed the tri anchor point for the main rope but I want to use a second safety rope which the ASAP will run on and a chest harness so the fig 8 and ASAP are seperated. The nature of the cliffs means we won t be putting any breaks for secondary anchor points until the last pitch, where can use a couple of other pins.

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Oh and the leg is just about mended now, luckily not as bad as the sounds of yours mate. Managed a few hours at Bempton last night.....only off tops though..lol next time I ll be off down the ropes now the balance sensors are back working again.

12. cps

cps Rockling

Wsh mine was , 4 weeks in pot to go

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

How long they said Chris in total, I was 8 weeks....buggered me up good style....leg like a twig still lol but getting stronger.

Which bone you broken ?

14. cps

cps Rockling

6 weeks total broke the fibula just above the ankle

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hope all heals well matey, mine was from the knuckle of the fibula then spiralled up for just over 4 inches. Enjoy the rest I m sure your missus won't .......think I just about did Kims head in by the end of the full pot term. If you haven t got one yet, get one of the bags from the hospital so you can have a bath.........They come in useful once you can weight bare on the leg.........I didn t miss a single club match thanks to that bag.........mind you looked a tw@t fishing from a wheelchair on Brid Pier just to get a few points for the league. :laugh: :laugh:

16. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mine was all the bones in the right ankle in bits, my right foot was sticking out to the right at 90dgs with the sole of the foot staring me in the face, luckily I had wellies on, which supported it a bit until the nurses slit the wellie to get it off, then it sort of started to move about all on its own, just before they injected me and I lost conciousness.
    Seems like a few of us have had full contact fishing injuries.
    There was as much pain with the physio as with the break, oh, and I had a stick leg just like Dave for a while.
    When I managed to start getting around on the crutches, I concentrated on boat fishing for a few months, that was fun,leg and pot and stuff in bin bags taped up with gaffer tape, covered in fish slime :vomit:

Dave, it sounds like you have the SRT pretty well sorted, you must have as much value in the ropes and ironmongery as you have in your fishing gear....if not more,do you have much free hanging in the descent, or is it mostly just steep slopes ? You can buy stainless, or high tensile alloy bolting kits from several outlets, they basically let you put in an anchor wherever you want if the rock is sound, and then remove the anchor as you leave so it is only you that uses it. Pardon me if you already know about this.
    I used to carry a pair of prussic loops for emergencies, I once had to use them to get out of Gaping Gill when one of the party managed to drop his ascenders down a pitch, they were lost forever... as the leader it fell to me to let him use my stuff and I had to use the loops, OK but a bit fiddly.
    Tite lines and good luck to all if you are fishing the big match this weekend.

Roger

17. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest

well i think its a bit of a waste of time talking about ankles if u fall from that height they be lucky to find your ankle lol

not for me but fair play to those do it i hate heights.

out of interest if u had an accident, how far away is help from were u are ?

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

There are only two short bits of free hang on the descent we did in the pictures, The cliffs are very loose shale and so putting any intermediate anchors in place is a definite no go Roger. The bottom pitch has about a 20ft free hang if you go straight like I did but also there is the crack in the cliff to climb down, I preferred just giving it one bounce a quick slide down the last bit :cool:
    We sussed out a good solid area of ground at the top That we can rig the safety rope up as it doesn t sit well with me trusting in just one rope when you are actually abseiling rather than walking down with a rope.

How far at that spot, not very far at all, Robinhoods bay village is about 15 mins walk, if i was to need a rescue by the emergency serices then that area is one of the more easily accessed, good large flat scars with plenty of room for a helicopter, or even a walk on rescue at Low tide. There are far more remote places that I would not wish to fall. Some of spots around Staintodale and even some of the marks north of Filey bewteen the Brigg and Cayton.

But then that is the beauty of our pursuit, getting away from the rush and rat race of a busy life.

19. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest

yeah fair play for doing it i just couldnt i hate heights with a passion.

20. robq

robq Rockling

Look more closely I am wearing a hard hat, I always do :yes:

Think that Dave forgot his that day