1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hoods Bay Sea Fishing - Rope access ( not for health and safety freaks)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Sep 29, 2010.

1. robq

robq Rockling

Re: Rope access ( not one for the health and safety freaks !! )

We have come to know it as the scarboro crazy gang rope !! not sure where from or why ??

I have to say that it is one of the hardest, scariest on our coast !! certainly on parr with birdash just due to the last bit :scared:

I think That you are right Dave and we will leave things alone, as Pete says the ground is loose and we dont really want to disturb it . The system we tried worked Ok but we need to move the top pins to miss those 2 overhangs :scared:

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i will just watch if thats ok rob as there are no pins that will take my slim figure :tease:

and it scares the .... out of me :laugh:

3. robq

robq Rockling

One step at a time John !!

Believe it or not Dave is scared of heights !! 4 years ago he wouldnt even look at roll up, look at him now !! he always wants to go off 1st :scare:

I dont like fishing off tops and get windy when anyone gets close to edge !! I cant even look

4. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Now lads respect for your efforts, is the rope and climb directly above long hole itself ?
    If it is if you go about another 400 yards further towards whitby on the cliff path you will come to 3 or 4 fishing places just slightly down the cliff directly behind omell hole they are only about 60 to 80 foot above sea level, also there is rope access down there to the bottom not been down it myself :scare:
    Think Glenn mite fill you in a bit more about the cliff fishing spots in mention.

5. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

dont mind cliff tops. ladders sod that :no:

one day at time for me

6. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

Ladders!!! i dont mind them id be up and down all day long, its not that im afraid of heights its the thought of people tampering with the ropes if you know what i mean i guess its paranoyia :blindfold: but like i said i got some good advice on here a while back regarding boulby think it was off ste muir. ill be paying a visit shortly but i wont be telling the wife she would lock me away if she knew what was involved :laugh: anyway fingers crossed ill get there soon :pray:

7. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

deleat day inscert pie :laugh:

8. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

I dont like fishing off tops and get windy when anyone gets close to edge !! I cant even look
    [/quote]

me to rob i couldnt look either its bad enough on the piers when its windy nevermind up in the heavens :no:

9. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

you deserved a bag full for doing that
    mind you could you of carried them back up

well done

10. cps

cps Rockling

no where near the worst on our coast , if you want a challange go down the back of the bay south of stapple nook and whe you come back up you can bring my rope back up :scare: think we needed 500 ft to do that
    worst thing about it was you can catch more fish from fishing on the top still it was nice to stand on them big rocks below dyke end :laugh:

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Absolute quality shots guys. People just dont realise how much effort people put into their fishing on this coast. Those shots show just how dedicted you are to the sport.

As for the tops, I have paid them a lot of attention over the years, and done very well indeed from time to time, but like anywhere you have to know when, where and how. I will say howevere that once learnt, the fishing is far more predictable than it is down the bottom.This is another one of those marks where you can set your watch by the time the fish turn up.. There are less cliff top opportunities as you head into South Hawsker but I have seen the odd light above maw wyke from time to time. That looks a bit difficult to me given the amount of rocks underneath.

12. robq

robq Rockling

We did try that one a year or so Chris :surprise:

Totally agree that it is bad !! All of the old pins were nearly rusted through and the bit of rope at the bottom of the gully at the traverse is looking very scabby.

I decided that it just wasnt worth the hassle and risk in the end .

Jellyworm wrote a report and put some pics on.
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7678.msg65761#msg65761

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

has any one done staple nook?? i know a there use to be be a few go down it. no saftey gear, and Roland Slater was the fastest to the bottom, well 180 ft as he fell, they thought he was dead but was not he was in hospital a long time (not sure how long)

he is still alive and kicking and still fishing today.

14. robq

robq Rockling

Is that where he fell John ? I have heard different stories and thought is was gull nook where he fell

I know some lads think its overkill but that is why I wear the harness, descenders and use a proper static abseil rope for such places. I hate to think that a momentary lapse of concentration, a trip or stumble would cost me my life :scared:

15. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

yes thats where he fell. back then no one use saftey gear just your hands. :scared:

16. robq

robq Rockling

HARDCORE !!

17. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

just fishing mad :crazy:

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

That Staple get down is still do-able but not without full gear now, that was nearly a full on panic moment, Rob was a full 200ft down with no ropes/pins below and the rope he had come down had twanged round a buttress of rock and he couldn t get a direct pull up. The conversation over the two way radios we had was interesting to say the least ! I think one part was :

me: Rob stop feckin about and get back up.

rob: I can't mate I think I m proper stuck

Me:Rob its get up or the helicopter, now come on mate lets leave this one.

Rob: I still can't get up !

Thankfully with a superhuman effort he pulled himself back up a vertical route , the look on his face in the photo says it all I think.
    Leg loops might be an option, but even with my enthusiasm for exploring the more extreme get downs I don t think it would be worth it when the tops are available.

We are investing in a longer second set of ropes , we ll have working and safety ropes for descents from 100ft to nearly 300ft then so should cover most situations together with 2 types of descending device and belay device and a very good fall arrest device.

It just adds a bit of adventure to the pleasure fishing sessions, most of my match fishing is at venues that give quick hit access and certainly don t need the messing about like the above capers do !

All good fun though and it has been refreshing that the replies have not contained the usual knockers . Thanks for reading. :cool:

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

boulby is a walk in the park compared to those photo,s of the climb,

went down whitestones rope twice ,never again, :scared:

20. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

WOW,wish i,d heard about these places 30yrs ago when i could have had a go at em ,looks fantastic and would love to have a go at it ,see what you mean about being alive,bet your adrenalin was going some getting up and down there,
    thanks for sharing with us mere mortals ,need to get fitter but at 52 with a glass back i,ll leave it to you lads .
    thanks again for sharing the experience and well done.
    frank.