1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hoods Bay Sea Fishing - Rope access ( not for health and safety freaks)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Sep 29, 2010.

1. clifftoprunner1

clifftoprunner1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Rope access ( not one for the health and safety freaks !! )

now lads thats the rope weve been using for alot of years now.. who ever is last one up we always say must pull it up and wrap it round the pin. as it gets washed about and damaged by big seas.... tight lines pete

2. robq

robq Rockling

I got halfway up and realised that I had forgot :crazy:

Had to back down and coil it up :whatever:

The last rope down rollup is getting kackered again due to the same thing !! we only put a new one in 2 years ago

3. clifftoprunner1

cheers mate... was pin still very wobbly lol

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Don t worry Pete the rope at the bottom was pulled up as you say last one up sort it (didn t you Rob )
    We ve been looking up at thaat old rope for three years now but having been half way down it our southern softy balls were just not steely enough to do it on the old ropes !
    So it had to be a new rope and a much easier way down, zipping down a fig 8 top to bottom in about a minute :cool:

I really love fishing that mark and after bagging four nice fish in a match a while ago to be well and truly trounced by Matt Hillaby, I think it was his dads memorial match....who had been down there and had some much better fish to 7lb out of Homerrell hole just after I d moved....I vowed to learn those marks as it does your head in when you are at the winning venue but fish it wrong...we moved just as the spot started to fish !

Anyway like all venues we all have our favourites, some love the Brigg I hate the place !

Here are few more shots of the trip down, haven t got any other shots from the day to show for the hard work, but if you haven t been down and are thinking about it make sure your upper body strength is good because that has to be the hardest 25ft or so at the very bottom, very few footholds and a sheer rock face to drag yourself back up. I ache like a b@stard today !

The old traverse down:
    [​IMG]

The way we went down:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So Robster where next ? :laugh:

5. clifftoprunner1

good spot on its day but upredictable fishing alot of ground to cover
    pete

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

how high is it? 10/20 ft? :suspious:

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

What you mean John ?

8. robq

robq Rockling

That last pin is a wobbly Pete :scared:

I think that we are going to get another pin the same thats in there and bang it in next to it as a backup :yes: trouble is there isnt a lot of material there to bang it in !!

If that pin went while were at the top of there it is going to hurt :hurt:

As Dave says we both like that mark and really want to learn it a lot better than we do now :yes: every time we go we learn a bit more, but as Glenn says it does seem to be a complex mark thats a bit hit and miss :whatever:

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

top to bottom. cliff top to scar at bottom

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The rope is just 200ft that we used, it was anchored about 10ft from the edge and about 3ft left on the bottom, Rob is about 6ft tall and the bottom section about 5 x Robs height so the bottom section somewhere between 25-35ft and altgether straight down about 180 ft

11. clifftoprunner1

been wobbly like that for few years now mate.. ground around it soft... weve tried to sort it it won,t move much more now but if another pin put in next to it it may disturb it all
    pete

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Rob I m more for leaving well alone what is in there and we'll go down the double rope option on our new pins with a descending working rope then seperately anchored safety rope...like we discussed at least then we can descend safe in the mind that on those overhangs we can sit down in the harness and just abseil straight off.
    I think Pete is right that unstable lower section is probably best left well alone, leg loops and double ascenders next me thinks :wink:

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

whats up with doin it the mills way just run down :laugh:

apart from me i just watch the mad men

fair old drop then. thanks dave

14. clifftoprunner1

scalby mills big cliffs long ropes and lots of beer lol :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If any of the regulars down there would like to share a better access than the long walk from Marine Drive in the village please pm me the route, it will not be shared......that walk is a killer and a real eat into the time left in a match to get to the weigh in ?

Help please ?

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

er pete we are not bad at eating as well. and always seem to be last to leave the partie, even if you dont know you have gone

17. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

And cards

18. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

what about catching fish?

19. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Good on yer lad's you would'nt get me near enough to clip on :scared:

20. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

Crazy gang springs to mind :scare: can i come :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool: only jokin thats not my idea of fun but does look tempting :crazy:
    Any pics of boulby ropes? id hope the decents arent similar to these because if they where id be walking round :confused:
    I keep meaning to go check them out but family ties and the weather gets in the way

Tight lines
    John