1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hoods Bay Sea Fishing - Rope access ( not for health and safety freaks)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Sep 29, 2010.

1. robq

robq Rockling

Jellyworm and me are trying to learn the marks on the north cheek of RHB at the moment. We like the mark because it offers a good variety of marks within the mark, however it is a frustrating place to learn and establising how the fish move around is not proving easy !! Also the cut off only allows limited fishing time when accessed from the bay rope.

We know about the rope on the end but it look very sketchy to descend and the old ropes dont allow the use of proper safety gear. I.E descenders and ascenders. I know some lads go down these places without this gear but we prefer to minimise the risk !!

Anyway we decided to put a couple of anchor points in and abseil straight off the top !!

The fishing was pants on the day and I managed one mop :whatever: Not sure why as it looked spot on ?? It seems a lot of places fished poor yesterday though.

A few pics

Dave going over edge
    [​IMG]

Fishing at the bottom
    [​IMG]

the cliff
    [​IMG]

the scramble back up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The way we went down:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Rope access ( not one for the health and safety freaks !! )

Great pictures Rob, shame about the fishing though. Maybe some of the other lads will be better able to advise you. I know jacko has been rather successful in that area. However, as I mentioned to you yesterday, I really do find that mark/marks to be very very unpredictable and Ive never had a real good bag from there despite many attempts. Hope you can make it work for you guys though, good luck with it.

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:suspious: :surprise: :surprise: :scared: :scared: :scared: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That,s certainly not for me :no:

4. Groyne

Groyne Guest

[​IMG]

I like my fishing, but b&gger that for a game of soldiers. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Hope it all proves worthwhile for you though. :yes:

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great pics rob and respect for giving it a go

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads.

think some of the dum ass lads in the mills go down then often :crazy:

7. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

now thats what you call amazing well done lads

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

That has got to be one of the hardest days fishing I ve had for a long time, an exciting drop down to the marks and then fishing very hrd for 5 hours with not more than one bite for me and a mop and a blegg for Rob. That place will not beat me yet, I ve had some good fish from there but there are so many marks within the close area and fishing time is very limited. We d hoped to be able to stay on a lot longer but even on a 5.5m tide (Brid scale) we were washed off from getting to the bottom of the rope.

Not losing anything like enough leads and having a very heavy fishing bag meant the near vertical climb at the bottom was very very dificult even with double ascenders but after a bit of a slog we got back up.

These access points have been used for years and years, in the past remaining 'secret' amongst club members and the chosen few it's good to be able to share these places with others now.
    Was it worth it ? If judged purely on the number of fish caught then the answer has to be no.
    If however you look at the fact that we now have an access point sorted far safer than the original ropes and an even better double roped (safety and working ropes) descent planned for next time, plus we have learnt a bit about the marks and only putting in the time and working out when where why and how to catch the fish, will eventually maybe lead to success.

Was it worth it in other ways ? Yes great compnay from a good fishing buddy, the excitement of doing something that keeps you sharp and very aware of the dangers and how to minimise those risks.....being out in the fresh air feeling alive....then yes a very big yes for me it was well worth it all....those are days that memories are made of. Maybe next time we'll have worked a bit more out about the place. Plenty of fish come from there in the daylight rock opens so that is why we are targetting the mark in day , not the easiest of tasks to crack but we'll get there.

Cheers, Jellyworm.

9. JACKOM

JACKOM Blenny

Rob/ Dave,

I think the original ropes we put in are 10 years old now and prob need removing to be honest as some are constantly wet due to the waterfall!. We always put down a proper climbing rope each time and use a harness - I know one or two lads don't but that is their choice. I slipped on the bottom bit at the end of the Cloughton open a few years back with a decent bag of fish, bottled it (legs went to jelly) and literally ran back to RHB nearly having to swim around the cut offs.
    Fair play for trying a new way down the 'top bit' and sharing it with us!
    I think that the bottom of this is the hardest ascent/descant on our coast that I have used. Unlucky on the lack of fish, it can be one of them places though :wink:

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report and pics Rob and respect to you guys for having the big cojones to climb that!

11. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

The few times I've fished it has never been worth the effort, and usually when that area fishes so do others close buy more often than not better. But I like that rope system boys especially for that bottom bit. I hope Mike, Glenn, Dan etc have looked at it. :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers
    Les

12. LEE     howard

LEE howard Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done lads, great photos n report,

13. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Good luck on your new venture lads,i hope you get rewarded big style.God knows you will have earned it.

14. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Now who said fishing was dull, awesome

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Top marks to both of you on your efforts :yes: :yes: :yes: I know theres always the You shouldnt be doing that brigade , but I
    really admire both of you for pushing the boundaries , the first yime i did boulby cliff there was no rope and that was interesting
    but it looks like a walk in the park compared with what you lads are doing , keep up the pioneering work :yes: :yes:

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

17. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Well done boys...........shame about the fishing though............

18. richie7

richie7 Blenny

Good stuff lads it all adds to the adventure

Wouldn't like to try and get that one back up the cliff!

19. robq

robq Rockling

Thanks for the kind words of support :yes:

I know this kind of fishing is not for everyone but I used to do a bit of rock climbing and scrambling with my dad when I was kid. Its nice to combine the 2 sports !! It adds a bit of adrenaline too :scared:

Jackom, you are right about that bottom bit :scared: Its really hard on the arms !! mine were cramping a bit at the top of that bit even with an ascender.

I think we may reinforce some of the existing anchor pins, especially the bottom one and put some new rope in. I have a length of crab pot rope that I found washed at the back of breil a few years back that would be better than that blue polypropylene stuff.

Cheers

Rob

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great stuff lads , shame on the fishing tho . Maybe next time hey ....
    I wouldnt like to think i was doing boulby without a rope now Al. The little section half way down would be virtually impossible without some form of rope . Especially if the ground was damp ......There seems to of been another fall down there to , some massive rocks been dumped at the bottom of the cliffe and half way down there is a rock the size of a minibus . It nearly took one of the old ropes out ...Glad i wasnt down there when that came down ..... :scared:
    I think its about time we had a closer look at the existing ropes and maybe putting some new ones down and also the poles that have been driven into the floor seem to have a bit of a wobble about them ....