1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hoods Bay On Wednesday Night

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Myself and Mike decided on a few hours down the Bay on Wednesday evening. The area was quite busy and we shared our chosen mark with roughly 10 other anglers.

First cast, as is the norm we were into weed straight away. It can be a real nightmare at this mark. We decide on a quick move with Mike heading down the left of the channel and myself going right.

Managed to loose the loose weed straight away and found a few fish. I managed 3 in a row with 2 going around 4 - 5 pounds. The lad next to me was pulling them out 2 at a time, managing 4 in 2 casts so there must have been a few in there.

Next cast I missed a sucession of bites and when I wound in I found my hook had turned upside down. This usually signifies too much bait and too much cotten on the hook. A schoolboy type error Ive fallen fould of too many times in the past.

Mike joined us and had 2 fish in the bag as well. We fished till just after low tide and managed 5 each. Bonus of the night was having a little lay down in a large pool (whoops I slipt), but at least it cleaned my coat.

Sorry no pics as my camera diceided it wasnt playing tonight. Ive been wearing round my neck and inside my top, but I think when you get warm and swety it stops it working. Its back in working order now but not the forst time its played up this way.

Certainly a few fish around round. Hoping for a few more this coming week.

2. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice to read, thanks!

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report.
    Cheers.

The upside down hook thing - never had that. Trying to imagine it. Does the bend get caught around the actual snood, so ending with barb facing away from rod?
    How does too much bait/cotton cause that?
    Is it from casting un-clipped down?

Learning.

Cheers,

4. robq

robq Rockling

Weill done on a good session :)

Ive had the upside down hook thing before but put it down to a rockling writhing the hook out by twisting itself up the line ?

Be interesting to try and understand your theory about too much elastic :)

Killler was saying a similar thing when we were out with him on tuesday, that sometimes cod like a soft bait and wrapping too tight with elastic spooks fish and causes dropped fish and missed bites ?

Certainly food for though :)

I know that it definitely puts whitings off, as I think the fine elastic catches on their teeth

5. The Ace

The Ace Fish On!

I'll remember that Rob about elastic putting whiting off... they can be a real pain over our side.... will give it a go next time I'm harassed by them lol

Tex

6. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I bet the elastic doesn't stop the bites and you acting on them though. It's often the bites that lead to nothing I find irritating