1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROBIN HOODS BAY COD FISHING - Sat 13th

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by richie7, Dec 14, 2008.

1. richie7

richie7 Blenny

Well its been a tough season for me upto now. I've mainly fished the Holderness coast with a few trips upto Scarborough for 1 codling and a few whiting.

I've chosen the venues carefully, fished at the best times I could, used good bait and fished hard but to no avail. Often its been the old should have been here yesterday or the guy next to me has had the only fish out of the hole! So last night it was decided a change of venue was in order.

I'd had a couple of thoughts on where & with some good advice from a couple of guys on here (you know who you are, thankyou) and chose RHB.

It was a tough 2 hour drive from home through the snow on top of the moors with my fishing partner Boris but rain greeted us at RHB with a good coloured sea.

We had only fished here once about 10 years ago when we didnt have much of a clue (some say we still havent !!) and obviously caught nothing.

Tonight the idea was really to start to learn another venue and if we managed to catch then that was a bonus. Was going to find a mark to fish and then move to the sewer hole for bottom.

Found a nice looking hole to fish for an hour or so but no bites so set off to find the sewer hole (had seen it on numerous photos & sites etc) . Well 3/4hr later after yomping of kelp covered scars we couldn't find it :embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:.

The decision now was to go back to the first mark and get a couple more hours in. Boris got a bite straight away followed by a mop the next chuck then nothing for a couple of casts.

I then got a good bite which I missed cursing as the bait had slid down and masked the hook. Straight back out with fresh bait and had a big slackliner 30ft of line before making contact with the fish a plump 3 1/2lber.

After 5 minutes of doing my Henry Gilbey impersonations.......COME ON YOU MOTHER!!!!!! I got baited up and within 2 minutes had landed another fish of identical stamp. Had a couple more chucks but got washed off the mark and headed back to the car.

Had forgotten how good it is to actually catch fish in such nice surroundings yet foul weather. Oh well 47 to go :whistle: :whistle:

regards

Rich

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Re: Sat 13th

Nice work mate, well done

3. woody

woody New Member

well done ! was going to go there myself last night but decided not to due to the rain ( wuss_) were ny other lads down there ?

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done richie, thats what its all about... :yes: :yes: I am really pleased for you..... :cool:

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

:yes:. nice one richie....

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Well done fella your persisitance has paid off!!

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done richie you deserved them fishing in that weather, bet the journey back home went quicker than normal too.

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Nice one Richie :wink: :happy: :happy:

So you know next time.
    Sewer hole is the hole at the end of the concrete sewer pipe which runs diaganolly from near the old slip in the centre of the village towards the nth cheek cliffs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    you can see the pipe in these shots from the sea wall and the cliffs,the hole is at the end of the pipe.

Hope that helps Rich and at least you will know where to look next time.

Well done again on getting some. :happy:

Regards Jellyworm.

9. richie7

richie7 Blenny

Many thanks lads, Dave good pics mate. It just looked totally different at night although when we came off at 1am it was strangely very light. It looks a cracking venue with so many fishy looking holes well worth the 2hr drive and will certainly be back when conditions are right again. The walk back up the hill was a killer though !

rich

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The trick with the sewer hoile is not to go there too early as it doesnt get exposed untill quite late in the tide. Pick up the pipe at the slipway and follow it. Me and Mike fished there last wednesday. Out of 6 anglers gues who got the only fish - Golden Balls Mike - Again

11. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Rich, I tend to find the 'bolted metal top' 1st, I then paced it at 75 paces to the lip of the gully a cast of 30 to 70 yards is enough from here. The water is quite deep, I know from personell experience as when I fished it early in the autumn I snagged a fish about 15 yds out next to the pipe, like an idiot I decided to walk down the pipe, pulled out of the fish and fell into the drink :clown: :embarrass:, wouldnt fancy doing that in deepest winter!!

12. richie7

richie7 Blenny

:laugh: :laugh: I'll have to pack flippers as well as a compass mark !

13. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done on the cod mate :happy:

14. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi, I've been searching through some old stuff trying to familiarise myself with some more marks in robin hoods bay and found this thread. I'm interested in these photos by jelly worm showing the old sewer pipe, would sewer hole be to the left of the slipway on the left hand side of the sea wall and beyond the first cliffs you come to before they drop back into another small bay? Also are waders vital for this mark?
    Thanks for any help guys :)

15. Baramundi Bob

waders are vital. Your always in water. Infact youll struggle to find a single winter angler on the coast who doesnt wear waders all the time.

16. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-robin-hoods-bay-sewer-hole

[​IMG]

17. MandolinBanjo

Brilliant read, thanks Glen :)

18. MandolinBanjo

I think you've just made a decision for me, cheers!

19. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looks like a nice place hopefully fish it some time.

mick

20. robq

robq Rockling

Il bet there was a fish or two in there last night :)