1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hoods Bay At High Water

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The fishing has been poor of late from almost everywhere. One exception since Christmas appears to be Robin Hoods Bay. Although the fishing isnt anything special it has been throwing fish and some into double figures as recently described by Growler Rich.

High water fishing at Robin Hoods Bay has never been my cup of tea. Largely due to the amount of loose weed in the water I do tend to avoid the area. That said I've put a lot of time in down there over the years and I have a few pointers that may help some of you who want to try the venue.

The best sea conditions are a moderate south east, a moderate north east, or a very big north west. The first 2 being the best conditions to fish this area.

Before the new sea wall was built, the area known as "Gunney Hole" was famous for big double figure cod both landed and lost. Many big fish came from this venue over the years with stories of frequent cod to 20 pounds being told most winters.

Anyone unfamiliar with the mark will find Gunney hole at the north end of the sea wall, immediately at the top of the steps you go down the grass bank and fish off the top of the new sea defence.

Im pretty sure that big cod still swim here, but its now very difficult to land them due to the rock armour underneath. But as shown recently its not impossible.

By far the best time to fish here are the 3.5 hours after high tide. The fishing can improve as the tide ebbs away and often the bites come thick and fast when the water has all but gone. Missed bites often result in the lead flying out of the water. The big fish are invariably caught at very very close range here.

However, it must be noted this venue is hard to fish with the rock armour and loose weed being your worst enemy.

The sea wall fishes under exactly the same conditions. For some reason most hardened rock anglers stay off the sea wall. However it is a good venue and should not be overlooked.

The new slipway has replaced the area once known as $hitty cliffs. Fishing at the bottom of the slipway means you wont have trouble landing fish, but for some reason you always seem to get more bites when you fish from the cliff above. Also its preferable to fish higher up the slipway as this enables your line to stay out of the waters edge where most of the loose weed builds up.

Again best time is the ebb tide and the later in the ebb can be really good. Another tip is to use a grip lead and wind the line tight (Goes against normal adive of fishing a slack line). Fishing this way means your line stays out of the waters edge where the majority of the loose weed builds up.

From about 3 hours in the ebb its time to start thinking of hitting the scars where River hole is your first shot, followed by Landing Scar, Dungeon Hole, Boggle and sewer hole are just a few marks worth thinking about.

2. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Never fished RHB Glenn so that's a pretty informative post for the likes of me. Nice one cheers.

3. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

same as mr lee. thanks very much.

4. soservices

soservices New Member

Great report there Glen and very informative, lets hope that the fish start showing in large numbers for you lot up there, as its been a little poor at the moment, once again thanx for the info, steve

5. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Brilliant write up there Glenn, I know having fished with you at robin hoods bay before you told me loads of info for the area, Its always good to be able to refer back to something that written down through.

6. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Nice useful bit of info there Glenn,thanks

7. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest

nice post glenn i havnt fished there much, but that info will help a lot when i do.

8. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Very interesting read there Glenn I have never fished there but after reading that it has give me a good idea where to start.

What tides would you recommend spring tides or neaps or does it fish either tides from high down?.

Thanks for posting. Chris

9. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Good post mate, I have always thought that people tend to move from cliff and pier marks prematurely because they think they are running out of water, when most times fish are just moving in.
    Ive never quite understood why you seem to catch more from the raised areas than on the bottom, I could never work out whether we cast over the fish from the bottom or not far enough and were casting further from the top, I never took mind to test the theory in daylight, but I would think that looking back over time I probably out fished my mates 6/10 when staying put on the cliff rather than going 'downstairs'.

10. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's a great load of useful info for the landlocked like me that don't get to be able to fish often enough in these places to learn the marks & how & when to fish good on ye glen

11. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Cracking write up bud, used to fish off that wall all the time, infact my pb cod was off there about 7/8 yrs ago, remember losing a couple of nice fish off there as well....................

12. Baramundi Bob

I would say that the middle run of tides are usually best as the springs empty too fast. Not saying you wont catch fish on all tides, just that the average size are better. Look for tides between 4.9 and 5.4 in the Whitby book and your cooking on gas.

Having said that, a persons opinion I respect highly is Ian Russel and he told me that over the years he had fished, if the swell came from the right direction and you could get a spring high tide (5.5-6.0m Whitby book) with high water about 5-6pm in Jan-March. Then he would always fish this area because he felt it provided more than its fair shore of double figure fish.

Robin hoods bay is not renowned as being a big fish mark and always fishes better in mop years, but it does also chuck a lot of doubles. Ive seen and heard of lots from Gunney hole. Back of sewer hole throws them out and Ive had 1 from Dungeon hole which is the only double Ive ever heard of from there. Also not to forget the near 30 pounder caught at long hole.

13. Baramundi Bob

Just to add something else to that Les. Although I cant prove it I do sometimes think it has to do with having less line in the water.

14. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Cheers Glenn I think I will be giving it a go on the next decent blow if we get any that is.

15. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Maybe I never thought about it that way, only thought it was a distance thing, but back in the day regarding big fish I had 3 fish for 31lb in a club match and the next night went back with Ian russell and he had one 15lb, Eric Wilson had one 17lb, I had another two round the 12lb mark and lost one that was too big to go into the drop net, but there was a lot of big worms in Bay then. I still like it with the biggest NW sea you can get, cos I think you get less weed. Mart gets it all at Boggle hole then

16. Baramundi Bob

Do agree that the weed goes that way on a NW. I think it drops it all from River hole and over to boggle hole. But I dont like the swell direction as it comes from a very strange angle and now bounces off those cliffs to the left and the swell in there is just a mess with rollers coming from all directions.

Have you any pictures of those big fish Les ? I know Eric has lots of pics and I keep promising to get hold of them. Paul Drinkwater told me a story of a cod he lost off down there and next day he found it in a rock pool and it weighed something like 18-20lb. Maybe Gunney Hole was our version of Balcary but we kept it quiet.

17. woody

woody New Member

very good glenn very informative mate all the years i have been down there i never knew that was called gunny hole !!!

18. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I was there that night eric got that big fish there was 4 fish i know of that was around the 18lb mark that year i had one off saltwick beach 18lb i was on the peir with ian russel when he got one 18lb went down the ladders for it and i was with wacker in saltwick hole on the rocks i jumped down and grabbed his fish it was on a club night it went 17lb 15oz back at the weighin there must have been quite a lot of fish allround the 18lb that year looking back the fishing was fantastic but it was the late 70ss.

paul.

19. mww

mww Rockling

...was heaps of the stuff last time I was in there....& not many fish either....

20. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Had a trip to Long Hole last night in our club match.
    Started in castle chambers then on to long hole for low water and first of flood, the two of us did not have a bite all nite, nice colour in water wind spoilt it a bit coming from south west, when it had forcast a 5mph westerly wind which would have been over the top of us.