1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Ure Salmon

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by seabass, Jan 5, 2011.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

2. bucko

bucko New Member

3. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Fancy that - I know Cam Hill well enough, I still park there now (though in fairness I didn't buy a freshwater licence last year at all)! Don't know your Grandad's side, but I know Nappa Scar Fawcetts very well. Small world eh? :)

4. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

5. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Ah, I do ken Willie Metcalfe. I used to help milk his cows!

6. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

All I'll say on that one is that "I can choose my friends but not my relatives", I guess you'll understand ! :laugh:

7. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Well, they're a rare old clan it's true. Mind, it wasn't just Nappa Hall was it, that would have gone up for sale - Willie owned big bits of land all round Semerwater and all over. What happened to all of that?

8. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

Still got it as far as I know.

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Ian mate - you've got a pm (nowt to do with thread).

10. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Rye is currently not under a revival, its been totally raped and pillaged by otters for the last 10 yrs. I would love to know who actually identified that sea trout and how and why he came to the conclusion thats what it is.

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

Joel - I was pretty sceptical until I saw a picture of the fish in the Yorkshire post last year. It's eye was in the right position in relation to the jaw and the spot pattern/silvery sheen said sea trout to me. A friend of mine who fishes nearer the headwaters has also told me that he has heard of one or two other sea trout being caught in the Rye in very recent years.

Think you are spot on with the problems the otters are causing on the river generally.

12. j99oel

Ive personally stocked hundreds of Browns into the Rye and most Yorkshire rivers bearing an extremely canny resemblance to sea trout. All silver, brown spots, no red spots anywhere. They originated from north of the border and were part of the Loch Leven strain. Ive personally caught them in the Brawby area in the 4/5lb weight, Id lay money on it being one of these.

If they are running the Rye surely one would be caught elsewhere on the Derwent by pike anglers? or seen at Stamford weir, Kirkham weir

Still the beauty of fishing is anythings possible, I know one or two cock Salmon did end up in another Rye tributary.
    Jim Girling, the river keeper up Helmsley way is adamant theyre in the river. I still would have liked to have seen the fish, I did see the picture in the local paper, believe me I really want to be proved wrong, a tributary of the Rye runs 20 ft from my door :happy:

13. rupert

rupert Blenny

Joel - Next time I see you, I must lend you a book - Yorkshire Anglers guide by Tom Bradley - compiled in 1894 and based on a series of articles that appeared in the Fishing Gazette from April to November 1892. The book covers all the Yorkshire rivers, what species are to be caught and who controls the fishing rights on each section. Its surprising how many of the rivers had a run of salmon back then, including the Derwent. Most of the salmon rights in the lower reaches were reserved by the riparian owners. (I guess these were netting rights rather than rod and line?).

With the Humber estuary being cleaner, more salmon being seen in rivers like the Ure, who knows what surprises we may see on other Yorkshire rivers.

14. j99oel

I sat and thought about this last night. I remember stocking brownies for a couple of seasons into a river in Wales (the name I forget, somewhere near Chirk), the club after several seasons refused to stock anymore as the fish were all heading to sea. The trout I used to stock into the Yorkshire Esk were the same, never hanging around for more than a few weeks, they too headed off into the North Sea. Fish that were stocked into the Swale did the same thing. I also (accidentally) over 3 or 4 yrs introduced a few thousand fry into costa beck, the Rye, Pickering beck. Now as I know these fish/ this strain do have a tendency to run to Sea, so who knows, I may have just started a major Ryedale migratory Trout revival :happy: :happy: :happy:, be nice to think so.

Yeah I ll have a read of the book, Im interested to see if there is anything regarding the Don, I spent alot of time as a kiddie on there, be interesting to see how far up they got.

Joel

15. rupert

rupert Blenny

Joel - the book does indeed cover the Don.

I quote "The fishing is no good below Hazlehead. About a mile below the place the ochre water from the Bullhouse Mines enters the river, and here the pollutions commence, and gradually increase from the various sources all the way down until the culminating point is reached below Rotherham. Sheffield and Rotherham are the chief offenders, and here the river becomes a solid, inky mass of pollution".

Further on the Don reference the book says " In the length of the river from Doncaster to Goole there is nothing but coarse fish, except the salmon, which are are only found below Long Sandall. The salmon fishing generally has fallen off a great deal. It suffers from the flushes of refuse brought down in the freshes from above."

There seems to be a strange, sort of matter of fact, acceptance of pollution back then. :sad:

16. j99oel

Hazlehead is well well up its about as far up as Ive ever fished, above that its not much more than a stream, your not far from the source at Windscar Res.
    I always thought that that high up escaped the pollution but obviously not, I never knew there were mines at Bullhouse despite living there nearly 20 yrs :surprise:

Regards
    Joel

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Funny this. i once had a brown trout out of the swale that was bright silver and no red dots ...It was a rough thing like , looks like it had done a few rounds with tyson ...maybe this was one of your stockies or slob as you think they may well be ...certainly had a big paddle and mouth if not abit anorexic

[​IMG]