1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Ure Salmon

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by seabass, Jan 5, 2011.

1. seabass

seabass Blenny

[​IMG]

For those of you that may have read t&s about salmon in the Ure, some people don,t think that they have run up this river for a long time.
    The photo is from the 1930,s when the run of salmon was a lot more fruitfull than it is today.

These salmon where netted in the river Ouse at Cawood when it was common practice, will post some other photo,s when i can put my hands on them.

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

they would give you a good fight and spot on rod and line :yes:

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

they're still running up and have been for years

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yes, seen a few on the ure

5. brian carragher

you must have been a TAA member then Matt

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I was and am in the process of joining again this year Bri

7. brian carragher

I guess then that you'll know the river pretty well but if you are'nt sure then both ijjak (Rich) and myself know that stretch pretty well so shout up anytime if either of us can help

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

was only in the club for a year then yakking took over and i left, wish i hadnt as I now have to pay the joining fee again. I love that stretch of the river as its very rare that you see another soul. Ive had a few nice trout out on the fly as well as grayling and chub. seen a couple fo barbel but not had a proper go for them.

Any advice on the stretch for any species would be great Brian. Any pike or perch in there do you know?

9. brian carragher

Matt

I'll drop you a PM tomorrow, best not talk about pike on an open forum when the TAA are concerned if you get my drift

Locally I'm in Yarm and Stockton clubs very pike friendly

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

cheers Brian

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, seen some nice Salmon in the 12-15lb range jumping whilst fishing the Ure with Matty. Tis a lovely river.

12. bucko

bucko New Member

This months Trout & Salmon came through the door today and there's an article on the Ure in there.
    The reports sound very promising with year on year increases in both runs and captures- including Spring fish.
    It also mentions fish have been seen on the Rye which would be interesting to hear about.

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

The Ure was the river I grew up on, unfortunately well above where the salmon can ever get!

Great photos, thanks for posting them.

14. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The Swale had a picture of migratory fish in FF&FT magazine.
    I have always wondered where these escapeing rainbow trout go.
    Are they not Steelheads if they go in and out of a river?

15. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks lads much appreciated. :cheesy:

Rich

16. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

Ey up biscuitlad - where was that then ? I cut my fishing teeth on the Ure between Bainbridge and Hawes. The river flowed through my grandads farm which meant he was also the baliff for the stretch. Handy really :)

Spent many happy hours trotting worms and flicking fluff up there.

17. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

W
    Now then! Whose your Grandad? I might ken him. I still fish that stretch from time to time (Gillgate side of the bank). The only bailiff I ever meet up there is Dennis Daykin. He's getting on a bit these days.

I grew up in Askrigg. Fished all upper Wensleydale - Bain, Ure and every beck between!

18. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

hi biscuit my folks come from up that way - dad was brought up in harmby, mother was brought up in low row, summer lodge and bellerby. got uncles and aunties and cousins over there you will probably know of Sayers of Bellerby , they run coach companies, well they are my uncles.

19. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

Grandad was Ted Fawcett followed on by my uncle Edward Fawcett, both of them sadly not with us any more. Edward died last year. In later life he was living in Gayle. The farm never recovered from foot and mouth.

They had Hill Top Farm, down a lane about half way between Hawes and Bainbridge on the back road that runs up to Hardraw. Cams House was a popular spot for fisherman to park, that was on part of their land.

This is the farm now http://dales-holiday-cottages.com/webpages/Dales/ProductDetailPage.aspx?ISDLNK=1&SCODE=DC5335&ACODE=DC5335&RCODE=784&PETCT=0 An unbelievable transformation.

20. woody

woody New Member

seen loads in our old stretch above masham they were al;ways brownies tho never seen any fresh mind u its a long way up river isnt it , heard of a 14 lber came from the masham stretch last back end will see if i can get the pics as i know the capter ?