1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Fishing Licence

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by codhead, Jan 13, 2013.

1. codhead

codhead New Member

Could anyone please tell me what the fishing is like between the tees barrage & Newport Bridge & is a license required to fish there.
    Thank you

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Mainly salmon - and its close season at the moment.
    And as such you need a salmon and migratory licence...the EA are quite active down there so it wouldn't be wise to fish without one.

3. codhead

codhead New Member

I wasn't sure if that stretch below the barrage was classed as salt water/sea therefore a licence wouldn't be required.Does anyone know were the Tees stops been fresh water & becomes sea.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

At the barrage :crazy:

Seriously though- you need a license to fish for salmon anywhere, even in the sea.

5. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Well, you learn something new everyday ! I had no idea that a license was required to fish for Salmon in the sea. I've often seen Salmon jumping in the breakers along North Gare and into the Greatham Creek entrance. I don't suppose that I would be in trouble if I 'accidently' hooked one whilst I was spinning/trolling for Bass, would I ? I only have a coarse fishing license.

6. bucko

bucko New Member

As long as you returned it there wouldn't be a problem.
    Get caught with it and the fines are huge..plus a possible ban on holding a rod license.

7. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Environment Agency's remit only covers up to 6 miles out to sea, you could fish for salmon past that mark quite legally if you could locate them but not entirely sure you could bring them ashore and land them without the reqired licence

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ive been wanting to catch a seatrout at sea for years , somthing which has proven to be virtually impossible around here unless your very lucky to put your lurefly infront of a angry one . seems to me the local seatrout tend to bugger off over the other side of the north sea to feed .??
    Has any one had success fishing for feeding fish locally ?
    Heard its quite possible to fish for them successfully around luce bay area and further north .but its a bloody big bay .
    Also the times to catch them at sea when there feeding is generally in the close season whats the law on this . are you still not allowed to fish for them even tho they are feeding and not breeding ?

9. bucko

bucko New Member

I'll have to discuss this over a jar with you Dav- I did quite a lot of studying where they 'hang out' locally last year and feel confident they can be effectively targeted in that area.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Do you think there feeding ian or just milling around waiting for water ?
    cheers and sounds like a plan .

11. bucko

bucko New Member

Feeding mate- they weren't near any outlets and in amongst a canny bit of feed.

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Dav they can deffo be caught on our stretch. I have seen quite a few caught locally by mackerel anglers over the years from the jetty on spinners, I fully accept they were caught accidentally of course whilst targeting mackerel but the point I'm making is they do feed freely so "should" be catcheable if targeted mate.

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I got one from Saltburn last year, about 3.5lb on a crystal minnow

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

Casting in and just behind the surf is where i would try for seatrout, i reckon. Using small shrimp/sandeel like flies.

15. bucko

bucko New Member

I had a trip out on a small boat there last August and saw plenty at 'yakking range'- matter of fact I saw more jumping at sea that day than I'd seen all month in the river!

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Dont get me wrong ive covered plenty of them with every method you could think of except a net at a few different venues :cheesy:
    Taking into account these fish feed through winter time and into spring , would the feed be there for them in the inshore shallow water that time of year ? i like to think there would be but havent the foggiest
    The only time ive ever come across them in the sea is june time and onwards building into big numbers back end of summer autum , which is about time all the migratories or a good bulk of them head home from the feeding grounds and mill around until there is a number of them then they run our rivers . this is why im convinced there not feeders , supose you might get the odd one snacking or taking out of agression but its a big sea to be able to put your lure infront of that particular one .its hard enough trying to catch them in a river :cheesy: .
    Its quite intresting how far these fish travel from there source rivers i was reading an intresting article i come across on the web the other day about tagged fish from the tweed . a few entered the esk tees tyne etc and were tracked as far over as denmark swimming across the north sea down to lowesoft . :surprise: when i first started fishing for them in the sea i thought seatrout stuck locally . :gum:
    obviously it wont deter me tho as im used to blanking and quite like the challenge .
    There is suposed to be several good spots around britain were there caught successfully tho so maybe it just a case of plodding away until there found round here .