1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Fancied a day on the river last Friday but with strong winds forecast I thought I'd try the association water, west wood at Sockburn. I've not fished this for three or four years but knew which pegs I wanted to fish for shelter. I took my mate Ade along as he has never fished this stretch at all.
    We arrived at seven with the rain falling we set off on the hike to the pegs. The rain made the track down into the wood a little tricky under foot. I couldn't believe how difficult the walk through the wood had become not only that but all the old clear spots in the wood where once you could fish are now covered with giant hogweed. After fighting our way for an hour the path became all but impassable with hogweed (never used to take that long to reach the swims), we admitted defeat and turned to walk back to the start of the wood.
    We managed to find a spot that we could cut our way to the river and opened it up so we could both fish from it.Two hours after arriving we finally started to fish, the rain stopped as well, things were looking up. Because of the walk I decided it was best to travel light taking only a ledger rod. First cast no sooner had the feeder hit bottom than I had a bite. As soon as I struck I felt a decent fish kick back. Bringing the fish up into sight I could see a good perch fin up bristling it's defiance, this was a fish nudging the 3lb mark. Every cast produced an almost instant bite from mainly small chub and dace this continued all day long. As I feared on this stretch or the Tees it wasn't long before I attracted the attention of a pike. It picked up a small chub and the hook set in the scissors after a fight lasting 5 min it snapped the line at the net, it was a fish I'd estimate just over 10lb. Within half an hour Ade was in the same situation but it bit him off before we managed to get a look at it. A couple of hours later Ade was into another pike this time it stayed on tail walking around the river. Slipping the net under it I would estimate it was a fish around the 12lb mark, this was Ade's first pike and the beaming grin on his face said it all it certainly made the day worth while.
    At the end of our session apart from the pike we'd had 4 perch in the 2-3lb class a trout and a net full of dace and small chub.
    Sorry there's no pics of the days catch.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great report bob, shame about no pics i'd have loved to see those big perch

3. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I can fish a stretch near Darlington, is it worth trying for salmon or do the seals get them all

4. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Salmon do pass through the area on their way to the spawning grounds. You may need to do some homework to find likely looking pools that the salmon would hold up in as they pass through. You may have a lot of blanks before you have success, but I did hear of a guy that was feeder fishing for chub and managed to hook one in that area, ok it was more good luck than management but it shows that they are there when conditions are right.

5. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A little trip to the tees this morning with the fly gear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Fished near Gainford yesterday, there was a lot more water than I expected despite what the EA levels said at Broken Scar, caught a good grayling and 1 trout lost another couple off in a deep fast run I was in left just as the rain started.I recently made myself wading staff and I wouldn't be without it now, very slippy in the Tees, saved me loads of times:)

7. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi mozzer its jc bought a couple of batteries 18650 off you have you any ? 01642 293635 please

8. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Tees has rocks like skulls (as I've heard it described) - it's a difficult wading water!! Wading stick is a necessity.

Had a couple of tees trips recently myself with a few fish caught

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Just sorted my gear out ready for the start of the brown trout season can't wait to get back on the tees . ,Any. Stockton ASecrion members on here ? Cheers

10. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not A but B section

11. robert smith

robert smith New Member

years ago i fished gainford are their any chub still in that part of the river? i know stockton A have winston if a man joined is pike chub to be had my mate had a 6 pound 10 0z brown trout out of the upper tees on a meps 1988 ish

12. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Dont think theres pike as far up as Gainford but would love to be proved wrong, plenty of chub still though

13. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

[​IMG]
    My first venture up the tees today, lovely day, its hard to believe they flew a spitfire under there
    [​IMG]
    Had 7 trout nothing big, lost a large grayling that set of downstream and couldnt do anything with it then slipped the hook