1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Davo

Davo Rockling

Hard going but worth the reward Jim. I had a go at Wards Lane for a few hours yesterday and managed to winkle out a few roach from a bit of slack water. Better than nowt and glad to be out doing a bit.

2. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I fished wards land a couple of weeks ago and struggled, but conditions weren't great.

Off out with a centrepin trotting a float on the upper tees for grayling in the morning, really looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jimlad

I was on my way back from the lakes going over the pennines and I drove passed the river Greta and the upper tees, and saw signs to the upper swale, and I just started thinking about grayling, especially given the frosts. A few brownie points later I had my pass stamp for a few hours on the river, armed with a pouch full of maggots, float rod and centre pin and chest waders. A grayling trotter float, 3.2lb drennan float fish and size 16 Kamasan B911x finished off the rig.

After a few small trout, which were quickly photo's and released, I eventually hit into a very solid fish, clearly a grayling and a good one at that. What a fight on the centrepin, and I was chuffed once it was eventually landed at 1lb 10oz, my second best grayling to date...

[​IMG]

Nothing else happened on this peg, so I wandered on.

The next peg was ideal, two separate flows of water causing a big crease in the current, which just shouted out to be trotted.

Second cast and i had a fish on, another clonker and a long drawn out, twisting sort of fight. Landed, and at 1lb 8oz, another good grayling...

[​IMG]

Next cast, same again, this time at 1lb 5oz...

[​IMG]

It went quiet after that, so another move soon had me hitting into a very good grayling, this time at 1lb 9oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]A final fish of 1lb 2oz rounded the short session off nicely!

[​IMG]

I was a happy man!

4. jimlad

I knew that Monday morning was my window of opportunity, the one I've been waiting for since I finished work for Xmas. The rivers are up and down like a yoyo, and with further flood water currently piling it's way down the wild river, I had to get out. The fact that gale force winds and torrential rain coincided with it didn't help!

Arriving in dark and parking up, I had a bad start with car becoming stuck, which I had to rock out, but eventually after a fair walk, I slid my way down the bank into my peg. Float ledger fished smelt, my favourite tactic, was the way forward, balanced so that any movement on the bait would be indicated. I flicked out to some slack water adjacent heavy flow, alongside a nice crease, and waited for my chance. Ten minutes later, the float moved away before stopping. I held the rod, heart thumping, and waited. It seemed like forever, but in reality about thirty seconds later, the float laid flat, bobbed, and started moving away. I held the rod, waited for the thump thump of a fish, and hit it. All hell broke lose, the fish dictated everything, and using braid I could feel every movement. She went on run after run and It took a lot of coaxing, but eventually I'd tired her and she came over the arms of the net. A beast of 24lb 13oz.

There's very little that's beats river piking in winter. Once returned, I sat in the rain, wishing I had a cigar and a whiskey, with a grin on my face. A great way to see off 2013

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. andym

andym Rockling

Awesome fish well done mate might be an idea for your reports to have there own topic titles rather than just adding to the tees thread as they may be missed by some and there too good for that

6. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one Jim, good to see its still holding its weight

7. jimlad

Cheers lads.

Certainly is Brian. Moved a fair bit from its previous location...I was only 90% it was the same fish until I got the picture up and a very quick glance confirmed it straight away - distinct markings.

Strange how a fish looks different when holding it.

8. jimlad

With the forecast to stop raining about 7am, I was hopeful of having a few hours fishing. Got there at about 7 and it was lashing it down. I was fishing thornaby's water between croft and hurworth for pike, and decided to park up at hurworth and walk a couple of miles in the dark without fishing, and them work my way back the two miles, trying different spots.

I didn't bother with a seat, a full on roving approach. Basically the rain just didn't stop, it absolutely poured, all morning. I tried swim after swim, the river was becoming ever more coloured, and the pike weren't feeding.

Wasn't all bad though, plenty of wildlife, including a fox on the opposite bank completely oblivious to my existence; an otter that chased the roach that I was reeling in quickly, before it saw me and disappeared; a salmon that leapt clear of the river right in front of me, that I would put around the 10 to 15lb mark; a par of kingfishers and a heron!

After trecking back, dripping wet, I decided to try one last swim, in the vain hope of a fish. This time, I used lamprey, and the float buried in minutes. Get in I thought, pike! Nope, chub... Happy to save a blank though, didn't bother weighing it, just nice to catch.

Now I'm home, and exhausted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jimlad

Since the above, I had one more coarse session on the river just before it closed, resulting in a decent chub.

[​IMG]

After a couple of weeks off, I finally got the fly gear out last week and managed a couple of trout on home tied spiders, I'm still learning with fly fishing so pretty pleased to catch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jimlad

The alarm was set for 3.30am- but I was awake from 3.00am. I had a bit of a journey ahead of me, with the walk to the peg being more than a mile away from the nearest parking spot, I could more or less guarantee I wouldn't see anybody else on the river tees.

Usually on opening day, I get all excited, lob a big pellet in knowing that I'm guaranteed a tees barbel, and end up blanking. So this season, I decided to guarantee some sort of success by fishing the stick. Tackle was a drennan acolyte, Preston pxr 3000 reel, and 4.9lb supplex (as I was hoping to hook to decent chub), to a size 18 kamasan b911x. I had brought 3 pints of maggots and 2 of caster.

[​IMG]

It didn't take long to start catching roach and dace, and this seemed to be all I was catching for an hour or two. I decided to step up the feed, feeding a dozen maggots before, during and at the end of each trot. This had the desired effect, and a nice 1lb grayling was soon in the net. This was released back into the river rather than kept in the net...

[​IMG]

This was followed by more dace and roach, and the odd decent perch.

I wanted some chub, and the maggot didn't seem to be working. I decided to stop casting for half an hour and trickle in a pint of casters gradually. First cast through, and the plan clearly worked as I struck into something solid and determined. A 4lb 3oz chub...

[​IMG]

No more chub were forthcoming, so a switch back to maggot soon had grayling, trout, perch, dace and roach in the net.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A switch back to caster again, after half an hour of baiting, brought 2 more chub, one of them 4lb 3oz the other about 2lb. Fought brilliantly on the float rod.

[​IMG]

And after more dace, perch and roach, I decided to call it a day at about 2pm. I finished off with 22lb 4oz of fish, which to me is a good river weight. Really enjoyed being back on the tees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The long walk home.....

[​IMG]

11. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like a belter of a day Jim, first day of the season and off to a flyer, those chub look in real good condition and I'm guessing they've already spawned and are now in condition as they look just right

Good choice to go with the stick

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

excellent report jim, well done

13. jimlad

Cheers lads.

The chub were in great nick bri, surprised me. They fought very well, full of energy.

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

Top fishing Jim. Cracking report too.

15. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Joined Stockton angling few weeks ago and finally managed to get on the river at the gainford stretch near barforth hall, just getting to know the water and was pleased to catch a mixture of grayling and trout, biggest trout was about a pound and quarter and grayling about 12oz also caught a sea trout about 10 inches :)

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

Nice one Mozzer. I found the beat above Winston to be a better bet. The trout fishing there is exceptional.

17. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Had another go on the tees today more of a reccae than anything else I am just finding out where to go luckily I bumped into the club secretary who has been fishing it for over 40 years and he gave me some good advice caught five altogether , this one was the biggest
    [​IMG]
    still good fun using light gear and they feel bigger against the current

18. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I went back to the tees yesterday and tried another stretch I had never been to, the river had risen slightly with a little bit of colour in it
    [​IMG]
    not a massive greyling but I think its my biggest so far, caught a few trout biggest been around 12 inches and lost a few they seem to know how to get off barbless usually by taking to the air

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done Ian. Were they caught on wets or dries?

20. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

pheasant tail nymph, no fish rising at all, my mate had been the night before and got caught in that thunderstorm wearing just a t shirt, he couldn't have been any wetter if he had fallen in :)