1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers Sam, enjoying the rivers at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jimlad

I was out bright and early this morning (up at 4.30am :eek:) en-route to the river tees. It was a bit windy for the fly, but i was determined to give it a good go. This one was a new stretch to me, so finding the right parking place took me 20 mins but eventually i got down to the river.

I started off on a nymph with a wet fly on the dropper, and gradually worked my way upstream towards a disused railway bridge. After a couple of hours flogging away without anything suddenly my fly line shot forward and i struck into a very nice fish. After a good good tussle on my light fly outfit, with the fish flinging itself out a number of times, i eventually landed this wild brownie which was 1oz off a pound. It was caught on a hares ear nymph. Very happy with the result!

I tried for a while longer without success, but went home happy :)

A few pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice looking stretch of river and an even better looking Brownie! Nice one bud.

4. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yeh nice little trout mate, is that gainford in the pics mate. had a couple of goes there a few years back when was in Stockton angling , nice stretch

5. jimlad

Well that was a great morning.

I got to the river for 4.30am, the idea being that I would struggle once the sun got up properly. In my first swim, I set up a quiver rod but it was soon clear after getting constant knocks and skinned maggots that this wasn't the tactic for the day. Up went the drennan floatmaster with a big stick, and after feeding for half an hour, I started trotting maggots.

[​IMG]

I was in immediately with a lovely wild brownie, then not much else.

[​IMG]

A move slightly downstream and I was in straight away again, this one feeling a bit heavier, as it turned out to be..

[​IMG]

This was quickly followed by a nice dace of 6 oz or so..

[​IMG]

So far so good I thought, and was really enjoying just trotting the float down. However, no more bites came so I upped and moved once more.

Patient feeding in my new swim allowed them to get in the mood, and on the first trot down, another brownie came to the net, beautiful fish they are

[​IMG]

On the next trot down, the float slid under and I struck into something solid. It felt big, I couldn't budge it (I was only using 2lb line) at first, but eventually it started moving. Thoughts of a nice chub came to mind, but I was even more pleased when I realised a big grayling hit the surface. I carefully played it, fortunately the soft rod cushioned every movement, and after a good 5 minutes I finally netted her, and what a fish she was! It weighed 2lb 4oz, and long term achievement succeeded, and beating my old pb by nearly a pound.

[​IMG]

I didn't get anything else as the sun rose higher, and called it a day at 10am.

Plenty of these being taken by trout in case anyone is interested....

[​IMG]

Happy days!!

6. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Superb Grayling mate! Would love to see one that size!

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

7. jimlad

Cheers mate, was a lovely fish...

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

thats a stonking grayling mate, well done :yes:

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Fudge me that's a nice Grayling! Well done bud, bet you are well chuffed with that (and rightly so!).

10. jimlad

Certainly am Sam! Off out to Gainford or piercebridge in the next few days, looking forward to it.

11. bucko

bucko New Member

Excellent report as always James!
    Very well done on that grayling- magnificent fish!

12. jimlad

I tried a new stretch today, that involved a good 45 minute walk from the nearest parking spot.

I started on the float, flicking maggots and caster in whilst I was setting up. Within 30 seconds one of the fish I was feeding got chomped by a big pike (noted for another session ;) ) and then, shortly after, a mother and baby deer crossed the river downstream of me. Interesting. Start!

The first few chucks down I had a few hand sized dace, and then it slowed down a bit. I rested the swim whilst topping up the feed,. The 5 minute break did it some good, as I struck into something lumpy an solid. Brilliant fight on the stick float and 2lb line, but the soft cushioning action of the rod let me feel in complete control still. Eventually this chub of 4lb 1oz came into the net.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad for a single maggot on a size 20!

The float action slowed right down, so I got the feeder rod out with lobworm. This was cast I the far bank and within minutes a nice perch was landed...

[​IMG]

As the sun rose, the swim went quiet and I moved on.

I was trying various different swims with lobworm on the long trek back to the car, and eventually landed this nice perch of about a pound.

[​IMG]

And that was that. Battling through nettles, hogweed and himalayan balsa over a few mile walk was exhausting, but well worth it.

13. jimlad

Decided to fish with stick float and caster (two pints of them) this morning. Got to a stretch at 5am to find the gate closed (how dare they!) so a quick think and decided on a different part.

Set up was quite simple, stick float, 4.4lb drennan float fish (as some snags were there) straight through to a size 18 spade end. The swim was only 3 feet or so and steady so a small stick did the trick. 13 ft float rod and closed face reel finished it off

[​IMG]

After trickling in caster whilst setting up, first cast and I was into a heavy lump on single caster. I proceeded to get me snagged up, twice, but each time patience and pressure got it out. Finally landed, a great start with a chub of 4lb on the dot.

[​IMG]

After this, there was a bite a chuck from dace. Good fun all the same, and it didn't matter how much I stepped up the feeding, the bites from dace kept coming. I then struck into something solid which went upstream with purpose, before the hook sprung out. my heart tells me it was a barbel :(

Two chublets to 8oz followed, then I lost another big chub in some snags.

Overall, a great morning. Two pints of casters didn't even scratch the surface either.

[​IMG]

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

Some cracking fishing there jimlad , keep at it mate your doing the bizz .
    ive been getting quite a few chub and perch me slef jim on the lures , some crackers about at the min .

15. jimlad

Nice one mate. Some clonking perch and chub on the tees. Though I've not had them, I've seen 4lb perch come out!!

16. jimlad

Went on a little trip to high force yesterday. I'd never seem it before but have wanted to for a while...I'm assuming this is the last pool that migratories get too? Is the trout fishing any good?

[​IMG]

17. bucko

bucko New Member

There has to be some good fish in there Jim.

The Raby Estate water that runs from near enough Cow Green downstream is supposed to be good- dodgy wading though.

18. jimlad

A few tees trips of late....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be getting the sea gear out now! But will definitely be giving grayling, chub and pike a go

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Nice one Jim, some lovely fish there. The perch is a cracker.

20. jimlad

It was really challenging this morning on the river tees. The river was still up, chocolate coloured and the leaves flying through. I opted to try for chub with meat and cheesepaste, an after finding a swim with a nice crease, but of slack and overhanging tree, I was soon setting up the drennan big feeder.

This swim produced pretty quickly, but the culprit was this chublet so I moved on to try others..

[​IMG]

After walking a good mile without success, I started making my way back to try the swim I'd caught on. This time I tried some smelly cheesepaste, and the bite was again pretty quick, this time a much better fish had to be coaxed out of the snags at an ounce under 4lb.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to go, happy with the days work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free