1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. andym

andym Rockling

Nice report and pics Jim well done

2. bucko

bucko New Member

392 fish recorded going through the pass in July.
    That seems to be a marked improvement- add the ones that go up via the lowered gate and locks then it could be a decent amount of fish for the month.

3. The-Man-From-Uncle

The-Man-From-Uncle Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

is that good for the Tees? ive been reading many posts about the Tees on many websites,seems that a lot of folk think Tees stocks are deminishing

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Got my first Tees barbel the other day, a cracking fish of no less than 8lb, and maybe a double. Took ages to land especially with the extra water coming down and especially, the way they scrap.

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

As I said Dave cracking fish mate Well done. I've been trying to get a barbel but not having any success yet

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thanks Matty. Have you thought about joining Bradford No1? I've fished their Thornton stretch twice and had barbs out both times.

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yeah im joining next year mate. thornton bridge is where I got my PB and most of my barbel years ago when it was day ticket

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Well done Dave- is that a PB?

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thanks Ian. Not sure if its a pb mate, as i had one off the Swale a fortnight back about the same size. Gonna have to get a new pair of scales before i go again.

10. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've been exploring more of the tees this autumn, marking up OS maps for stretches i can fish etc. After chatting with a mate last night, i decided on a stretch that i'd not fished before for this morning. The initial aim was to do some trotting for anything that came along, but i was also going to try this new stretch for pike as well. Although pacey, i was reliably informed that there were some deeper holes that may hold a pike or two.

I got there and the river was near normal level but very coloured still, shame. After flogging away at the float for two hours or so, all i'd caught was a dace, so i changed my plan of attack. In came the float rod, and I set a pike rod up cast to an undercut bank. First bait was float fished Pollan, a bait i've not tried much. After 5 mins or so, the float moved to one side, bobbed and then dissapeared. I hit into it, and realised it was nothing special....a 3 1/2lb chub that had spent a while chewing the head of the pollan before getting hooked (not the first time this has happened to me!).

Next cast to the same place i put out a small smelt, my favourite Tees bait. After 30 mins or so, the float bobbed, and disappeared again. This time, my strike was met by absolutely solid resistance. You know the difference straight away between a jack and a big girl with practice and this just didnt move. After 30 seconds or so it decided enough was enough and absolutely tore off, completely unstoppable, straight into the flow. It took me 5 mins to recover this run, but it tore off again. The fight lasted a good 10 mins before i got it into a netting position, and thats when i realised i was struggling with my 42 inch landing net. I thought i had it, but the pike had other ideas and went for another run. Eventually i was able to get the pike upstream of my net, and the let it sail down into the waiting net. I lifted it out and knew she was a 20. The scales were wavering around 26lb, and the sling was wavering about 1lb. I could have called it 25lb, but i'll be honest and say 24lb 15oz, a Tees dream come tree.

Sorry about the dodgy self takes...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

That is a proper belter Jim, well pleased for you bud. She looks to be in great condition with lovely markings, you must be buzzin! I really need to get out Pike fishing more this autumn. Very honest at 24lb 15oz :yes:

12. jimlad

I've just been walking around with a smile all afternoon! over the moon, cheers mate. Tees is a brilliant piking river...

13. andym

andym Rockling

Superb Jim time put in justifiably rewarded mate well done

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I've hardly fished the Tees but beginning to think I should be!

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Well done James- thats an amazing fish.

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done James, an absolute conker and well deserved mate :yes:

17. jimlad

Some river tees angling, a bit cold!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cracking fishing Jim-well done.

19. jimlad

Got myself out on the tees today for a change from the swale.

The first swim looked very pikey, so a float fished smelt was dropped in. 30 mins later, a slow take developed and I hit into the fish. Unfortunately it came off after 10 seconds or so, but what I did do is follow the direction of the pike in the clear water. He went straight back into his lair. The smelt went back and he sat there and waited. I twitched it, about 2 foot from his nose but still she had an air of "I aint touching that again". So i sat back and waited, all the time watching the pike, a good double, while it didnt move. Suddenly, about 30 mins after the recast, she shot forward, grabbed it and swum off like a torpedo (nervousness perhaps???). A great fight ensued, and eventually I landed her at 16lb 1oz :D

[​IMG]

I wandered off, far and wide, catching two chub on steak. The biggest chub was about 2 and a half pound.

Fished until dusk and evetually got collected by the wife!

:D

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

You are fishing well at the moment bud, two nice Pike this week. I really need to get into my river fishing this year (I say that every year!), obviously missing out!