1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Davo

Davo Rockling

The counts are electronic from last July 11, before that, the counts are from the old cage.

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

Some intresting stats there . Looking at the 2009 season it says there was around 200 and odd salmon got up yet the rod catch for that season was 180 thats some going isnt it ..even if you were to add 2009 and 2010 fish then 180 out of 453 is still good going obviously they reckon some fish get over the barrage but if you cancel them out with the fish that werent reported caught its still a good return ...?
    i certainly understand why i havent seen much when ive been fishing the tees the past month or so .... :cheesy:

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

I havent seen any migratory fish mate and ive fished the tees alot this season , ive had plenty of trout and grayling but thats all . i even convinced me self the only good fish i have actually had on the end of me fly line must of been a good chubb or summat but that didnt stick .
    Hopefully better days ahead .
    im out and about alot so ill report as soon as i see summat intresting . hopefully this water that we have had might encourage a few more into the system ...

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Some, if not most of the fish that have entered Dave, will be up past barney by now.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

isnt the river still up like ? i would of thought theyd be stiull entering dave . rivers been far to high to fish successful the past couple of days as far as i was aware ?

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Had a look up the tees again yesterday . river was a nice fishable height but was abit like chocolate in places . Never had a touch or seen anything .

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

I look everytime im up there skunkhead never seen botall yet mate . infact i stood and watched the weir for around a hre in the pissing rain the other day when the river was well up and never seen anything trying to get over either . Maybe its still abit early just now tho .

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

I totally agree mick , i just didnt see anything . seems to be the story of my life so far this season on the tees :cheesy: . i do realise tho its still on early doors and i remain very optimistic . plus ive never been one to give up or let it get on top of me . I just enjoy being out and about with a rod , im very used to blanking so no worries there ... :cheesy:
    Like you say im sure ill see summat one of these days and when i do ill try me damndest mate .
    Like you say its all a big learning curve for me , Altho i have dabbled at the seatrout for years its only my second PROPER season on them and the salmon so i look forward to the future and seeing my first tees fish show infront of me ...Fingers crossed :cheesy:

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

Fished just upstream from Winston today on the fly. The first pool i fished seemed quiet at first, then a small hatch of large olives came off and the fish responded well, but unfortunately, not to my fly-with one take missed. The fish that were rising, some were of a good stamp, say up to close on 2lb, with a few grayling mixed in, along with the kamakazi small trout trying to catch the olives that were floating past. Moving down stream, i managed to take two small trout to orange and parrtidge, but a move down to the next pool saw three good trout to about 12 inches, taken on a partridge and orange and waterhen bloa. I also managed a small grayling. After loafing down a pasty :cheesy:, i decide to try the first pool again, which resulted in a fish of about 1.75, which took a partridge and orange on the point. I did, actually put my hand in my pocket for my priest, but i changed my mind, and back it went. I must be getting soft in my old age :cheesy: All in all, a smashing few hours fly fishing. :happy:

10. andym

andym Rockling

Good stuff mate at least it kept you out of mischief for a few hours no bad thing putting them back occasionally

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

True mate., but one day, i'll make a meal of one, especially, when Jersies come down in price. :whistle:

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Dave, sounds like a lovely little session. I do miss getting out with the fly rod, tis a nice way to spend a day :yes:

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

It is Sam, especially as you dont have a lot of gear to carry.

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sounded like a cany few hres with the fly rod there dave . well done ...

15. GARP

GARP Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As advised I joined Stockton AA and fished downstream of Winston Bridge on the Yorkshire bank
    The day started well with a nice brownie of 15" and a Grayling of 17". Both went back safely, they were
    such bonny fish I didn't want to kill them. Both fell to Klinkhammer pattern with an embroidered body I tied
    Years ago from a pattern in trout and salmon mag. After that I got a few salmon smolts on a gold head hares ear
    I think the fish were taking olives but my entemology ain't great. Moved on to streamer water downstream and lost a nice brown in the faster water. I returned to the spot opposite the church and lost another fish I didn't see.
    By this time it was raining steadily and the fly hatch had letters out so I called it a day. Great sport and a lovely spot to fish, looking forward to exploring the beat over the next year, hopefully my reflexes will improve, must have missed 10 good takes, obviously been spending too much time at Scaling!!

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done mate. I fished from Ovington downstream for my fish.

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

had a few hours on the tees last night. was hoping to get my first tees barbel but they didnt show. I did manage a couple of nice chub, biggest one probably about 4lb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Matty, nice looking Chub :yes: I really should join that club as I do miss river fishing.

19. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice one Matty.
    The rivers have been in lovely plight with all this rain of late.
    I've been able to catch a fining down river three times in three visits- thats nearly more than the total for the rather dry season last year.

20. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nicely done, how much extra flow do you reckon was on last night , looking at the camera it seems like its gone down a fair bit at Piercebridge