1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Good luck mate . Hope you get into a few nice browns .

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well, with the weather seeming conducive to fly fishing, i decided on a few hours at Piercebridge today. On arrival a few fish were rising to large brown olive nymphs, but at the same time ignoring LDO duns that were floating down stream, and which were getting picked off by the early sand martins that were there in numbers. I decided to give the more streamier water a go, and had a few takes to a team of spiders that i missed completely :cheesy:. I then decided to move further up stream but still fishing the streamy water that was coming out of the slow moving "salmon pool", and first cast produced a nice brownie of about one and three quarters of a pound. A dozen or so casts later, i decided to give the salmon pool itself a go, but that only produced a few takes from small grayling, that i again missed :embarrass:., so i moved back down to the pool that produced the decent brownie. The next hour or so, produced two small brownies and two even smaller grayling. The breeze picked up, and that signalled the end of a decent and dare i say, fruitful session.

It was worth noting that at the head of one pool, rocks had been placed in a fashion to produce an improvement to a "run" for targeting migratories. I also found a Devon Minnow nearby.

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Certainly sounded like a canny few hres dave . nice one ..

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice one Dave thats a good sized brownie, well done :yes:

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice trout Dave- I assume at that weight that the fish have recovered nicely from spawning.
    Its funny- I was reading on another forum about a regular on the Aberdeenshire Don who fished Tees and said something along the lines of "The Don is known for having the finest river trout fishing in the UK- but after fishing Tees I am starting to doubt that".

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

I'm not surprised Ian. I think anyone wanting good sized to big brownies would be hard pressed to find a river that holds them, as much as the Tees for its size. Especially, along its "game water" length. The Piercebridge stretch does seem to hold bigger fish in a shorter stretch though, and i have heard rumours of it being stocked, but no one seems to know by whom? Maybe the owners of the George hotel? Yep, the fish was well mended.

7. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The George Hotel won't have stocked any fish, they don't even have any fishing rights on the river even on the island that they use for weddings (ownership of that is also questionable),if anyone ever questions your right to fish there just tell them to sling their hook, ATDAC own outright all of the unbroken fishing rights from the bridge downstream to the bottom of Swine Lairs

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

Aye, i've had a few decent fish out of the pool behind the hotel, and i really like the two pools behind Swine Laires :happy:

9. bucko

bucko New Member

I'm just waiting for someone to prove how many sea trout get upstream mate- such a good trout stock equals...well, I'm sure the more logical amongst us can work that out.

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Saw more Sea-Trout than Salmon Trapped in The Cage since 2002 when i first visited .
    And ive seen a lot of 2-3 pound fish slaughtered on the Tees.
    Lets hope the removel of the cage and the gate opened starts stocking our river Tees and its tributerries.
    On the Till a fellow told me the sea-trout like a bit of silver in the flies dressing.
    I put a Peter-Ross size 8 on the point and caught two sea-trout at a time the locals were not catching.
    Try the Peter-Ross i have caught chub,grayling,roach,sea-trout ,salmon and brown trout love it also.Nearly forgot 1 eel.

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

looks like that worked!

12. bucko

bucko New Member

And it was going so well....

13. bucko

bucko New Member

This is officially a barrage free thread gents- please refrain from mentioning it in here as it just detracts from the fine fishing reports that members have kindly made the effort to write and post.

14. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Are you two really that daft to think that somebody would not mention the Barrage and its problems :crazy:.
    Is this thread not called "RIVER TEES ANGLING REPORTS".
    Trout and Salmon magazine have a Tees Report . Why dont you tell Mr Carrick not to mention the Seals and the Barrage problems?.

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Spot on, it is RIVER TEES ANGLING REPORTS

A place to report your fishing trips, unless you are fishing at the barrage and have a report then please STOP F##KING TALKING ABOUT THE BARRAGE!!!! Is it really that difficult? Seriously, why can't you help yourself? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Exactly why I can't be arsed writing reports anymore, just ends up being about the feckin barrage. I give up :tired:

16. bucko

bucko New Member

And who would that somebody be? As for us being 'daft'- well maybe I have been in putting up with you having no consideration for other posters in the past and (especially daft) actually trying to help you at times.
    So, bearing in mind the repeated warnings you have had in the past- and the fact that this thread POLITELY asks that Barrage issues are kept elsewhere, I think its time you took bit of a vacation from this forum.
    I wish it hadn't come to this but its been putting people off posting for a long time- so enjoy your time at the Barrage and no doubt you'll post all about this on other forums (as you have done already- including one where you said you had 'Been asked not to post Barrage updates')
    Have fun with the seals and I apologise to any contributors that have had their threads hijacked and ended up not wanting to post as a result of it.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

I had another look up on the tees this evening , river was up around 1 ft maybe more and possibly rising again . Never seen anything moving and never had a touch .there seemedto be much more water coming down than the other day when the river was up altho the levels acording to the ea website were around the same ? , defo prefare less water in there like . either that or the tees ea guide is abit confusing ..i felt it was far to much tonight .

18. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Tees seems to fish on a falling river i find. Looking at ea website earlier, there was a bit of an influx of water

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah i know what you mean jimlad , i find thats the case on most rivers .in my limited experience.

20. Davo

Davo Rockling

Finally, some Tees fish counts.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/research/library/publications/138616.aspx