1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Tees Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Put your angling reports and angling discussion regarding Tees in here- please keep Barrage topics separate.

2. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Can we mention the Tees Tributeries on this report.
    We have the Leven, Skerne, ect, ect , to report on.

3. bucko

bucko New Member

I would have thought the lads that fish Leven might pop their reports in here anyway.
    As for Skerne- I don't ever recall seeing anyone ever mention fishing it.
    But, yes- all Tees System reports are welcome.

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

A few hres with the double hander

Well after quite a few fruitless sessions on the tees chasing the difficult to spot , see and catch tees salmon i thought i would give it another go yesterday , I noticed the river had been up several days before and assumed the river would be still up with a tinge of colour ,
    I arrived at the river and setup the spinning rod , on close inspection of the river i noticed the level had dropped quite alot but was still carrying abit of colour , seeing as tho i was setup with the spinning rod i thought i may aswell give it a go , i fished a couple of pools and on one of them i hooked and lost a fish on a size 5 condom which i thought may of been an extremly good brown or a seatrout . anyway after loosing this i thought i would go and setup the double handed fly rod as i thought the level and colour would suit the fly rod more.
    It was going to be more of a training session as im still getting used to the two handed fly rod and it was a lovely day so thought sod it ill stay a few hres ,I rigged up with a size 9 double cascade and 15lb maxima leader , ide fished a couple of pools , glides and runs without so much of a hit . i then arrived at the spot were ide lost that fish earlier , i fished it down when bang i was hit by summat , i knew it must of been a brown trout but was well pleased as it was the first fish ide had on the double hander , :cheesy: :cheesy:. . my confidence rocketed ten fold . i continued fishing down to the next run , when i i was hit by another fish , this time it never stuck , so cast back out to the same spot and got it , seemed to be another brown but the fish threw the hook . anyway by now it was loosing the light and i got to the last pool , which was always going to be difficult to fish due to trees and the height of the bank , anyway i managed to get a cast in , the fly began swinging around towards my bank when i was hit by somthing which felt alot heavier than anything ide hooked on this stretch before , the fish kept deep and kept thumping quite unusual for a trout . i began reeling in the loose line and the fish unhooked itself :wounded: im still curious as to know what it was . thats fishing ,
    i put loosing it down to the fact the line connected to the fish went slack as i was reeling in the slack onto the reel to play the fish off the reel .
    Overall a great days fishing hooking the first fish on my own tied flies and christening my double hander . cant wait for the salmon to start running proper to hopefully put me in with a chance .
    A couple of pics of the winning fly . the trout and the spot i got the fishrom . :cheesy: :cheesy:
    The fly a cascade on a size 9

[​IMG]

The spot i got the trout from .

[​IMG]

The trout .Looks smaller than it actualy was :cheesy: :cheesy:

[​IMG]

The deep pool i lost that good fish

[​IMG]

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Great stuff Dav- sounds like you're mastering the big rod!
    Excellent report to get this thread kickstarted properly.

6. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report, and some nice pics!

7. seabass

seabass Blenny

Nice one Dav keep at it and iam sure you will soon come across one of them salmon.

Where abouts on the Tee,s was you fishing looks nice, is it a free stretch if so will
    have to join you some time for a cast.

Chris

8. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if I was guessing I'd say Merrybent/ High Coniscliffe way

9. jimlad

Hmmm, i'd be inclined to agree Brian

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Your not to far away on your guess brian . isnt it such a nice river .
    Heres somthing you might not know , well i didnt have a clue anyway , i have always thought the tees as a peat stained river But apparantly its not peat but magnesium it gets it from the old mines further up . ? i wonder what flies are best for magnesium stained rivers . :cheesy: :laugh:
    Chris its actually a club i joined on the tees it has abit of lovely water altho im only fishing one section at the minute ,probs gona stay put for now or until the ure opens :pray: , altho broken scar area is free like which is some lovely water , it just needs a good sussing out and fish do turn up , The thing with there tho it gets busy with dog walkers etc i think its probs got to be fished first light best .but again fish have to be there which is somthing im hoping for somtime this year :laugh: :laugh: il certainly keep u informed .

11. jimlad

I was thinking of popping down to broken scar this weekend. Looking forward to it

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Early morning and late thing inthe evening is usually when you see that the river is actually full of fish. Its when that High Pressure and the sun get up that we say there isnt a fish in the river.
    Stillwaters are the same. I used to laugh at all the people that complained their was no stocked fish in Teesdale reservoirs yet with me haveing a season ticket i saw them stocking the places.
    I have learnt more these last yers on rivers since i started learning the pools instead of haveing too much water to fish and flying round in the car hopeing to find a fish .
    Old fellow used to say to me fish are their peter you have just got to find them. He certainly knew where they were. :happy:

13. bucko

bucko New Member

Try fishing a falling spate as barometric pressure rises Peter- you'll find that salmon don't follow the rules.
    :educated:

Anyway, getting back on topic- Darlington Fly Fishers Club have vacancies this season with membership capped at 40 members on their well maintained club waters on Tees and Greta.
    See http://www.darlingtonflyfishers.com/ for more details.

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cracking report and pictures Dav, lovely looking Brown Trout there just a shame you lost the big fish :sad: You'll be keen to get back on there now, see if that biggie is still there :happy:

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Brown trout season kicks off today :happy:

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Nice report Dav, i know your not the biggest of guys ,so i guess it must be a bit difficult getting the hang of a double hander,

may bee you you get the big one next time :yes:

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

I do realise it wasnt really worth reporting but just thought ide kick it off under the tees thread . I do enjoy reading posts and assume others do to .
    I just hope next time its with a salmon tho and not an "out of season" Brown :laugh: :laugh:.
    Harry its all in the muscles . :laugh: :laugh:. no really there isnt much to it at all . im certainly not perfect at it but the tees i fish seems to be very forgiving with helping my fly presentation .

18. egg

egg Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im heading up Barnard Castle area to do a spot of fly fishing, probably with Northern Spider Patterns and bit nymphing in the deeper pools. Hopefully I'll have some sort of report on the evening as early season is often better, theres a nice upstream breeze forecast at the moment which should help presenting a Ducks Dun in the runs if any early olives on the wing.

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Good luck mate. I got a feeling the Yellow May Duns are going to be early this year. with a longer season too.

20. egg

egg Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got just the fly for those too. The tackle shop at BC used to(may do still as its been a few seasons since ive been) have some flies tied by a retired schoolteacher. One was what he called a "Straw Fly", basically its a yellowish thread with a straw coloured thorax and a light hackle(maybe plover or similar). I cant find the exact fly dressing or name in any of the North Country books. I once took over 40 trout in a hatch near Egglestone Abbey, the hatch lasted about an hour and ive never seen one like it again. Needless to say i went back to the shop and bought every one of that pattern in his box! Im down to the last 4 now so may pay the shop a visit to see if hes got any in.