1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Swale - Barbel, Chub & Pike

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by CAB78, Jan 6, 2014.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im looking to get back into a bit of fresh water fishing after about 15 years away from the sport. I would like to do a bit of barbel, chub and pike fishing on the Swale and wondered if anyone could tell me some good day ticket locations and possibly a decent club to look at joining.

I used to fish The Angel Inn at Topcliffe and also the Oxbow at Cundall - are these still available on a day ticket. My PB Barbel of 9lb 6oz came from the Angel and I used to like long trotting on the peg to the far right of the field for some nice Chub.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

You can still get day tickets for the oxbow lake stretch and drive to your peg - therefore it gets very busy. I prefer the cundall lodge stretch below the weir as its quieter. Another good day ticket stretch is fawdington and there's also the stretch in Helperby

Bradford no1 have the thornton bridge stretch and a couple of others too

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thornton Bridge stretch is a fantastic beat for barbel, but as far as i know, the Angel stretch is no longer available.

4. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cundell,fordington,miton,day tckets as said Bradford no 1 have couple of pegs above bridge and below,

5. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ah memories,the angel at topcliffe was one of my favourite day ticket stretches and the first place i caught a chub over 5lbs but that was over 25 years ago so i don't know if they still do day tickets but i'm a member of leeds asa and we have 4 good stretches on the swale. topcliffe,asenby,helperby and myton as well as good barbel fishing on the ouse ,the warfe ,the rivers nidd,aire and the derwent ,not bad for around £50 a year and less if you join an affiliated club ..

6. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i ferret around that area theres big waters there now i saw a fisherman near enough fishing in the field the other day lol

7. congerball

congerball Blenny

Think Bradford AA has a stretch on the Swale just near the A19 bridge.

There's also a good day ticket stretch at the 'Locks' just past Bishop Thornton, Ripon. Pike, Barbel and Chub can be caught from there.

Hope you get back involved. I've neglected my coarse fishing recently, something I want to do more of in 2014. Starting with a trip to Kingfisher Lakes in Norfolk for some big pike hopefully!

8. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Many thanks for the replies and info. Its a shame about the Angel as that was a great stretch of river. I think I will look at the Leeds and Bradford clubs also. For now I think I might look at Cundall and/or Fawdington day tickets. There is a few nice youtube videos of this area which I have been watching. Was thinking of travelling light with a single carp rod and wobble some dead baits for the pike. That way I can have a good walk along the banks and keep and eye out for some nice Barbel and Chub swims. Failing that, have a wander with the quiver rod and a pocket full of worms, bread and corn. Things have probably changed a bit over the years now mind.

I'm looking forward to getting back into the coarse fishing. This was my first season back sea fishing and have enjoyed every minute of it again; albeit a bit rusty. Mind you it has taken me pretty much a year to get my sea gear back. luckily kept a bit of coarse gear and didnt sell my carp/pike rods, baitrunners or barbel rods. Mind they will probably be antiques now compared to the modern equivalents. :)

thanks again

9. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I used to like cundal farm but it does get busy and does see a lot of morons down there. It's been a long while since I fished it, but the very top swim as far as you can drive always produced chub and barbel and some big perch too.
    The snaggy bend where you drop down off the flood bank and the cow drink have produced some big pike for me and my mates 20lb+fish.

Middlesbrough had some good stretches on swale too, not sure if they still do. Aidenby was a brillian stretch for chub and barbel, Holm was another good one they had. One stretch they lost which put out some big fish for me, pike, perch and chub was at Baldersby upstream of the old bridge, I don't know if anyone has the rights now

10. alan whitwell

alan whitwell Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi there im a member of northallerton angling club first year is £45 plus £6 entry fee then just £45 every year after we have the water at morton on swale both sides of the road bridge its an absolute belter piece of river with lots of quality chub barbel and pike I can take u on the river for a £5 day ticket got from shop in morton village so if intrested mate wen weather sorts it self out I could give ya a tour and show ya were the chub and barbel live just drop us a pm

al

11. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: River Swale - Barbel, Chub & Pike

The leeds book is worth the money.
    Not much mentioned of the yorkshire ouse which leeds have a few lengths and there is a good head of big barbel well in to doubles in a lot of areas.nun monkton my favorite .nidd has a lot as well but not as big.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

12. congerball

congerball Blenny

I like nun monkton, had a nice barbel out of there, the section I got the fish out of was just over a rod length wide!

I'm on the hunt for a 20lb+ Pike!

13. Taz

Taz "Ah well . . . . soon be dead!"

That'll be Nun Monkton on Nidd then Congerball, don't think you'll find any of the Ouse just over a rod length wide! :D