1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

river leven

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by LEONFR, Jun 3, 2008.

1. LEONFR

LEONFR New Member

Does anybody have any info regarding the river around leven bank area,is it an angling clubs water?does it hold any sea trout or salmon?

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I know that upstream of leven bridge (both banks) is shared by Yarm AA and Thornaby AA

3. bucko

bucko Guest

I drive over that pool on my way home from work and its quite heavily fished but I wouldn't mind having a go with fly at night on there to see what turns up.

Haven't seen it today but after yesterdays rain I have an inkling that it might be raging.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

I've had Sea Trout out whilst fishing for Chub up stream from the weir, during December. There is a new fish pass that was completed last year, but the EA are not going to make it operational until three years after the date of completion.

Dont ask me why, but thats the EA you. Mind you, i bet its better than the Barrage fish pass. Even the fish pass on the Skerne is light years ahead of the Barrage fish pass.

5. coasty

coasty New Member

Didnt realise that Sea trout get in the Leven. I used to fish the Leven at Great Ayton about 35 yrs ago... Caught my first fly caught trout there...

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

I used to fish the Leven at Ayton at that time, aslo at Little Ayton too. They used to stock it with decent size fish, but when your'e a kid, you dont see much wrong in a bit of poaching.

7. coasty

coasty New Member

I was at the posh kids boarding school although christ knows how I managed it. We were allowed to fish the school grounds with fly whenever we wanted

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

I used to poach behind the school as well, all the way from G Ayton down through L.Ayton and off into the woods up to Kildale. Happy times and free fishing.

9. bucko

bucko Guest

A few years back there was a young lad in the Gazette who caught a cracking brownie of about 3lb near Suggets.
    A quick walk along Ayton High Street shows you just how healthy a trout population it has.

I've never fished that river at Kildale :whistle:

10. coasty

coasty New Member

ahhh suggets Ice cream.... Have happy memories of them years taking the girlfriend up easby moor... Fishing the river... There was an old guy called Bill Harbottle he was the village undertaker he gave me my first fly fishing lessons ...

11. bucko

bucko Guest

Coasty!!! I hope thats not a metaphor for anything!!! :wink:

Do you know who owns the fishing on 'Quarry Lake' these days?

And Larners for that matter.

12. coasty

coasty New Member

Dont know either of those places mate.. I know there is now a stillwater fishery below easby moor but wasnt there during my time,.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

The one below the moor used to be Larners Lake holding Rainbows. It wasnt a bad place, except for the residential goose. It had problems with poachers (not me) and subsequently closed.

14. coasty

coasty New Member

When I was at school up there in the early 70s there was no lake there but I remember reading it had been opened...Only lake I remember was a flooded quarry up by the road side near captain cooks

15. bucko

bucko Guest

I fished Larners on fly a few times- caught a few brook trout (the only time I've caught them) and rainbows.
    When I gutted them they were stuffed with bread and sweetcorn which gives an insight into who was on there during the night.

The lake in the quarry used to be stocked with rainbows and had some nice perch in it as well.

16. coasty

coasty New Member

We used to fish the quarry lake all we ever caught were perch but dont think i had ever been stocked then,

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

The flooded ironstone mine "quarry" at the bottom of Captain Cooks was locally known as Donkey Pond or Little Fern Deep. The big or larger Fern Deep was properly called Lonsdale lake, but i never got to see that lake.

18. coasty

coasty New Member

Yep I remember little fern deep. That takes me back we used to floatfish worm for the Perch I seem to remember it was very deep

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

We used to swim in it until someone decided to fence it off, saying it was too dangerous. T@ssers.

The Blue Lagoon also known as the "Bluela" was a great place to fish and swim, until they filled it in. There was some massive Pike in there.

Aye Suggits ice cream and Petches Midgie pies. What made you move to Scarbro and leave those behind? Mind you, its only up the road like.

20. coasty

coasty New Member

Well I only lived at Ayton school terms I was a Boarder,,, Always lived at scabby....