1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River fishing rights?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Geoff_Jubb, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

Hi,
    I would like to start fishing the Lower River Wear and the Tees, but am struggling to find where I am allowed to fish either for free, or which clubs own the rights for which bits.

I did find a site that explained a little about the Wear in Durham, but went no further downstream.

All the shops I ask seem to suggest there is little fishing locally, and I'd be better driving to Scotland!

Does anyone know of a map or similar that highlights who owns what? Any links?

Cheers in advance for any help!

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

For the Tees, Yarm A.C, Thornaby A.C and Stockton A.C. For the Wear, Durham City A.C and Chester Le Street A.C. What species are you fishing for?

3. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

Thanks Davo
    I'd like to fish for pike.
    I used to do this in the canals in Manchester.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

When you join yarm. Stockton of Thornaby you also join the tees association and also the lower tees amalgamation. This gives you access to miles of more excellent pike fishing. It costs you 11quid extra.

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Forgot to say, Bassleton Woods at Thornaby and True Lovers Walk at Yarm are free stretches.

6. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

Thanks Davo, great info.
    Didn't realise how much the clubs cost to join!
    Can you join the LTA alone, or do you have to be in one of the clubs?
    Cheers

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Got to be in a club as far as i know.

8. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Dave there is some good fishing from the front at the boat club some of the lads have had good bags of bream.
    Geoff there is always lads fishing next to Victoria bridge just near the drive through think it's burger king also down towards the barrage don't think most of the lads fishing down there are in any clubs as long as you have your licence you will be fine.

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

Yep Chris, deffo gonna give it a go. The lads who fish at Stockton fish behind Joe Riggatoni's, but i've never fancied that though.

10. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Preston hall museum stretch is also free, u can find the pike in the full length of the stretch park near butterfly world and walk past the playground down the hill n you'll see the river walk up stream from the pontoon n you'll see the swims near the flood refuge only problem I've found is there's hundreds of dog walkers so it's very busy and keep yer dead baits in yer bag cos some of the bloody dogs will have them! :-\ handy if you no location of bream school down there cos that's were the pike will be

11. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i hope its a lot safer there than manchester near me lol twice i been threatened to get my tackle ,if i hadnt stood my ground it would have taken ..scroats :mad:

12. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

try the fishing taclke shop at ferryhill. they have water on them rivers n loads of areas.

mick

13. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

Thanks for the advice lads!
    Decided to stick to the Tees and leave the Wear alone for now.
    Will be having an explore over Christmas hopefully.
    Thanks again!

14. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

How did you get on did you get out fishing over the hols