1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Esk Salmon Fishing

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Davo, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Davo

Davo Rockling

Can anyone please offer any information with regards to Salmon and Sea trout fishing on the River Esk? I have fished the Danby and Egton stretches but would like to fish other areas such as Glaisdale Sleights etc. Any info on Esk Fisheries Association would also be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Dave

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Off the top of my head there are 4 free stretches on the Esk. I can give you a rough idea but you will have to seek exact boundaries from someone with a littl more knowledge.

At Sleights you can fish from the footbridge at Briggswath to roughly 50 yards above the roadbridge giving you about 300 or 400 yards of river bank. Best fishing here is when the river is in flood (think posh people call it spate but I aint posh :eek:). Its obviously better as the season progresses with Sept and Oct being the optimum months. Fish with a mepps 2 long blade, any of the smaller rapalas or a mepps 3 long or flying condom if the river level is high.

Glaisdale fishing is from the bottom of limber to the far end of the tunnel after beggers bridge. Mepps 2 long and short are decent here. This doesnt fish well if the river is in high flood and is better a day or 2 after the levels start to drop.

[​IMG]

Rakes Common at Glaisdale is another of the free stretches. Its difficult to find but from memory its a right turn at the top of the village near the council houses then drop down the bank. The river is very narrow here but its a beautiful part of the esk. Fishing here would be with a mepps 1 or maybe a 2 short.

The other free spot is Lealholme pool and up to the stepping stones. Not a place ive ever fished.

Days on Egton Estates can be booked through someone called Simon Foster. Sorry I have no more info. As for the association I think the list is long and the only way in is when someone passes away.

Thats all the info I can give you but I know some of the other lads here fish the esk so might part with some more info for you.

Dont forget that you need an environment agency rod licence.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Are there any restrictions involved? ie, how long is the season, no fishing with worm, etc?

I have a general enviroment agency licence but I think I would need to get a different one for Salmon/Sea Trout. Sorry if daft questions, just always fancied spinning for Sea Trout but never have done before.

Danby stretch is a nice place to go fly fishing for trout in the summer, nice and quiet.

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

your normal Ea rod licence covers non migratory trout and coarse fish( e.g. rainbows and browns) but to fish for the migratory species, salmon and sea trout, you need to get a special lcence which i think is more expensive than a regular one :)
    hope this helps

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that go go gadget. It's been a while since I last looked at my licence properly so wasn't to sure :-[

6. Baramundi Bob

To take home a sea trout you will need a migratory licence which is around £70 per year these days. However you can fish for brownies on the ea licence, but if you accidently hook a sea trout :eek: you must return it as you are not allowed to fish for them :'(

Devious I know ;)

7. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

No restrictions really,Simon Foster @Egton Estate has now introduced a no worm rule,and from next year the price will be going up to £45 per day on His streatch of water, about 1.5 miles from Egton estate, Great water thou plenty of holding areas and fish good takers.
    Egton Estate phone no:-01947 895466/7.
    what Glen said prev' is about spot on, Rakes @ Glaisdale and below Limber hill Great after high water,Sleights fish poss' at any time when water has been in short supply.
    Lealholme pool is a good holding area for fish, plenty of sea trout and salmon, hooking them in that pool is another thing.
    Season is from April - end of October.
    You will need to get a salmon & sea trout licence about £70 per season. ;D

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that Salmo/Baramundi Bob.

9. bucko

bucko Guest

Davo
    Give me a shout when the trout season starts and I'll take you for a look up there and show you a few taking spots- a couple where the fly works as well.
    There probably won't be any fish up until the end fo May but it'll give you an idea of how deep the pools are, how to approach them at night etc.

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thanks Glenn and everyone alse for the info-it's really appreciated.
    Thanks Bucko, i'll take you up on your kind offer and have a look round. Will be in touch about it next season.

Dave

11. woldedge

woldedge New Member

The Esk looked in fantastic condition on Wednesday, nice and clear with a nice steady flow, ideal conditions had it been in the fishing season. Roll on April.
    Then with all the rain on Wednesday night and Thursday morning what a contrast, it had risen about 6-8 inches by 11am and still rising, it was the colour of coffee.
    Hopefully it will have encouraged a few early springers into the system and helped wash the Kelt's by down stream to the river to the sea.
    I believe sea trout spawning has been excellent with plenty of double figure sea trout see in the becks. Salmon spawing wasn't as good as previous years by all accounts. The experts say it due to not much rain in October to give the river a lift and get the salmon into the river in good time for spawing.
    Will have to wait for April to find out if they are right or wrong.

12. woldedge

woldedge New Member

Electro fishing October 07.
    [​IMG]

13. Baramundi Bob

Hi Woldedge, interesting picture that one mate. Were you involved ? and where was it taken ?

14. woldedge

woldedge New Member

The only involvement I took part in was watching and taking a few snaps of the electro fishing. It was taken on Egton Dam.

15. bucko

bucko Guest

For anyone seeking value for money trout, grayling, salmon and sea trout fishing on the Upper Esk, Danby Angling Club offer season tickets at an incredible price:
    Available from:
    Danby Post Office, tel: 01287 660220 (also licences)
    Duke of Wellington Inn, tel: 01287 660351
    Mr Farrow, 11 Dale End Danby, tel: 01287 660385

16. woldedge

woldedge New Member

If my memory serves me correctly the first salmon caught on the Esk last season was in the Danby area weighing in at 15lb. The second of the season down at Sleights on the free stretch.

17. bucko

bucko Guest

Given enough water there are some lovely little pools and runs for the earlier fish to lie up in.
    A 15lber would cause some commotion when hooked in one of the narrower stretches mind you!!

18. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I'll be joining Danby AC this year again, never caught anything big from there but it's a lovely place to fish so I don't really care if I don't catch much :yes:

19. bucko

bucko Guest

I've had browns of up to 2lb there and my mate had one touching 3lb the same year.
    Seen plenty of sea trout up there but they're not as visible as they are further downstream as there are so many tree roots and the like for them to vanish under.
    I did see a lad lose a huge fish in Crag Farm Pool about 8-9 years ago. It was most probably a salmon but easily 20lb+.