1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right Plaice, right time...

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dizzyfish, Mar 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dizzyfish

dizzyfish Have it !

I managed to sneak out to the Skerries bank last week on the kayak. Spent most of the session inshore due to the mist and fog, but later we did manage a few hours on the bank - and bagged up with the plaice...

[​IMG]

Also managed to catch these two on a single wishbone rig which pleased me...

[​IMG]

Final tally...

[​IMG]

Video...

Kayak fishing for plaice on the Skerries

More info. about the trip on my blog including some fascinating info. about the launch site of Hallsands...

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/kayak-fishing-for-plaice-on-the-skerries-bank/

2. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice catch there :happy:

3. rich123

rich123 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

did u catch the macky too

4. dizzyfish

dizzyfish Have it !

Yes - they are all mine, all mine (laughing in a slightly Dr. Evil way) :embarrass:

One of my mates had one a few miles up the coast 2 days before, and everyone said it was a fluke - so I thought I would try the feathers and prove them wrong. Crazy - mackerel in Feb :confused: . I have caught them in April before, but never that early. Still, they tasted good !

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

great catch and great video, realy brings the report to life :yes:,
    just looked at your bass catch as well, another good video, roll on summer :cool:

6. Howard

Howard Blenny

Good stuff our Smethick bank must be thick with em trouble is theres alot of run on for a kayack :scared: Theres apatch of ground just off head-end muddy bottom that used to get towed every now and then and never failed to get a bag full of big plaice. I dont think its been touched for yrs.

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Smashing report mate :yes:: I've heard through the grapevine but thought it was a load of bollocks, that someone had caught a mackie in a boat fishing local the other day. Maybe it was true after all.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Any ideas on weight of each fish so we can enter some in our hall of fame. Quality pics by the way, well done.

9. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi ian i thought you might of sold the makkies to WAL for his skate trip :laugh: a few nice plaice you have there and quality pics was the pictures taken on a gopro ? tightlines Alain

10. andym

andym Rockling

Well done some cracking Plaice there

11. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

great session looks a great day to be out on the water as well only ever fished there on a charter boat

12. dizzyfish

dizzyfish Have it !

BB - I didn't weigh them, but they are always quite thin at this time of year - most of them were around 1.5 lbs with the biggest going 2lbs maybe ? All I know is that they tasted good :happy:

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Excellent stuff. Wish I knew how to fillet them. Ive caught a few in the past and sadly threw them away as I made such a mess of filleting. Will have to get someone to show me this year.

14. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I sometimes fillet Dab if I can be arsed and want to make fish butties out of them. Might be the same for Plaice, but never caught one so can't guarantee.

Cut off the head, and gut it, then push your filleting knife through the cavity straight out of the tail (coloured side up) keeping the blunt side of the knife on the backbone. Then just slice out to the edge of the body. Do same both sides and the fillet should lift off. The just flip it white side up and do the same again.

Do a spot of flatty bashing in the harbour and get a few to practice on, you wouldn't want to waste the Plaice!

Can't normally be bothered with picking it off the bone I just like to wolf it down if I'm hungry, not fanny about haha

15. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Really enjoyed the report by the way Dizzyfish, nice one!

16. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Easyest fish ever to fillet Glen when you get one bring it round and il show you

17. nickid

nickid Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done mate, great fish and cracking report

18. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great report and pics. Plaice is a species I've never caught. I must have a go for them this year

19. MOTLLEY22

MOTLLEY22 New Member

Cracking report that mate, we dont get them up here really like others say but they are great eaters. My uncle lives at Woodbury near exeter and have a trip booked in for late summer, cant wait.
    Mart

20. cps

cps Rockling

saw a maki caught on blyth beach last weekend in january in a fire service match :surprise: