1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of use of Birdash Decent at Bempton during Scarborough Angling Festival

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by subman, Sep 30, 2008.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

the idea of separating the festivals is attractive to me for more selfish reasons, I can see a massive upsurge in interest for the Kayak competition, at the moment the schedule is rather congested so a break would give us a chance to slot a kayak weekend in between. I can see how a break of at least 1 weekend would benefit everyone, traditionally Filey has always been first so that would mean them moving forward.

As for Birdash, i have listen with interest to the argument, & note there are not many voices in favour of closing it, although this may have something to do with those who favour that option not wanting to get into an argument on the forum. As someone without a strong view either way i would point out that the thing that differentiates Birdash from other climbs is the ladder, I having only seen it from below, but would say that without that the climb would only be possible for a full on rock climber.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

That would be a shame Dave as I think Pete would like to here all sides of the argument. If anyone does have concerns they dont want to place on the forum remember their is a personal message system and you can pass on your thoughts to Pete or Andy using that method.

3. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

i would love to see a festival in early to mid june,as mentioned early,bait is in better supply,also the night matchs would be fished in daylight which is far more productive than dark durring the summer time.
    the debate about bempton might go away too as lots more places fish in june,some as good, if not better than submarine and bird ash ,weather permitting
    the down side could be people seem to be genarally busier with other things in summer so entrys may still struggle,the foords match in june ,apart from the last couple of years, has only ever attracted between 40 and 50 anglers despite some excellent fishing.

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The problem I see is you are swapping one set of problems for another. Having it too early I know would make it difficult for some lads to fish and although it would certainly make it easier for bait it would put all the cliff marks out of bounds due to the nesting birds and might affect the participation of some other anglers. Would extending the evening match times slightly make it more viable for the fringe anglers and also the weigh-in times in the weekend matches so the anglers who walk under are not short changed.

5. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

i would love an extra half hour to weigh in :yes: ,but i could see the other camp saying ,they're already in a good spot and now they've got an extra half hour to catch more fish :sad:
    the truth is, imo ,there's about a 100 anglers in this area ,sixty been hard core , if you get good tides ,weather and plenty of fish about another 40 or so will come along for the ride making about 140,if the weathers crap ,tides crap and no fish about you lose the fickle forty straight away and another 30 or so will join them if its really bad.
    i think numbers coluld slowly drop if the older anglers are't replaced ,the all england comp use to attract over 2000 anglers :surprise: where've they all gone :confused:

6. Baramundi Bob

A couple of years ago Whitby club extended its weigh in times for club matches and for the Open match. In my opinion this was a very positive move. Probably proposed by Killer wanting an extra half hour to drag himself up Hawsker :laugh: :laugh: But yes a very positive move that I think has benefitted everyone in the club.

7. andycod

andycod New Member

i think maybe your on to something hear the way filey have a weigh in time also the match end to me has always been imo a better night match format because you can fish a mark and have extra fishing time witch in some cases can mean win or loose,would this format work in other matches?

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Review of use of Birdash Decent at Bempton during Scarborough Angling Festiv

2000 anglers :surprise: it's clear then that sea fishing is in decline, I would love to see the archives and history of both festivals, I sense a small rivalry between the two Scarborough and Filey this is of course to be expected as it's human nature, but me being a wessie have no preference, I can say I look forward to both and are very well run, I have a few ideas;

Why not have an "opener", this would embrace the rivalry of the two, have the two fish against each other, the numbers can be divided against weight, this could be done maybe the weekend before? or in the middle? you could even bring in Whitby and Brid so you have 4 teams or North (whitby/scarboro) v South (Filey/Brid), with extended boundaries - the format could be hammered out and obviously evolve

Allow kayaks into boat matches but let them be able to compete, I'm thinking of steaming time here

For the traditional shore matches I agree extend the boundaries to allow Whitby in, and maybe even the north holderness

just ideas, I love the tradition of these festivals and although that should remain at the core of them times change and you have to evolve - I'de just like to say what a great job both Pete and Adrian do as MC's

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

We already have an inter-club match Iain,the Bell Trophy which hopefully you will help us win this year :whistle: :wink: tight lines

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

somebody is gonna slip,

ouch 250 foot :pray:

11. Baramundi Bob

Any Updates from the committee ??

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Dont know about updates , but i am gona have another walk on in one of the festivals matches , lovely down there like.....

13. Baramundi Bob

Its is a nice place. Just not a nice walk.

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

Certainly makes you feel alive glen . Lovely walk :crazy: :crazy:

15. Baramundi Bob

Ive been thinking of a session there this summer Dav. The only thing putting me off is that walk, my knee has been playing me up since Christmas and doesnt seem to be getting better so I would hate to make it worse on them rocks. Might be as well to paddle from North landing.

The whole area around Flamborough is just so beautiful. We think we have nice coastline but that area down there is stunning.

16. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

a summer evening is best dav ,absolutely stunning ,the sun setting on the cliffs turns em a lovely shade of orange ............ive got the fever now ! :yes: :cheesy:

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah i was taken aback at the area me self , absoloutly stunning, and like you say we thought we had some lovely ground.....i only walked on the once , and found it harder walking on than walking off even tho we were walking into the wind on our way back , we walked on as the tide was still abit up making us climb them big rocks at the base , as the tide ebbed out it exposed alot of flatter rocks which made it easier , i reckon if you took your time and timed it right it wouldnt be that bad, make a nice day out , altho i reckon a paddle on would be much easier .....
    I wonder what the rules say about paddling onto your chosen fishing spot in these matches ? anything in the small print , or will there be now .... :cheesy:

18. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

not if you have major arthritic bone problems from a major fishing accident on the east pier me thinks.

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

:surprise:.....Its owld mystic ,,,,,Now then lobstick , hows it going mucka.....You been in hibernation ?

20. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

rules were adjusted last year to accommodate yakkers dav, choose to walk on or off at low on a big tide dav and you can walk over half of the way on the sand :surprise: