1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of use of Birdash Decent at Bempton during Scarborough Angling Festival

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by subman, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Rockling

iv noticed that hoddy cows lane has a sign saying private road on it now. does everyone have permission to use it or have i got it wrong

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I know what you mean Glenn and I,m trying hard not to make it sound that way, but I can assure you I,m not salavating over my key board while typing the posts :laugh: On the contrary, up untill now Mart has been the only angler who has given his reasons as to why he thinks it should be restricted over high water and is a lone voice. If other anglers don,t voice their opinion we won't get a balanced view which is ironic considering the proposition which has been suggested is to appease the very same people.

3. andycod

andycod New Member

i would like to try a slightly different approch on this one this goes out to the anglers who can take or leave the festival matches is there a reason! and could we do anything in your eyes to make it more attractive for you to participate!!

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

It would be nice if the bounderies were stretched slightly , even if it was just for the evening matches...

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

ban the ropes, they are a dead angler coming soon. just hope its not one of you top boys who i have grown to like very much, you dont give much away but you are top blokes, and wouldnt like to see one of you dead too early :cheesy:

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I fish a few but not a lot. I have fished the weekends occasionally but think they arent for me. The competition is too good and for me to compete I would need to put in a huge amount of homework on a patch a long way from my front door and with so many other committments and things to enjoy its a low priority. Converseley I do fish the occasional night match and confess to enjoying them. In the ones Ive fished I feel I am competing. Perhaps the one thing would make me enter more evening matches is an extension to boundaries up to Runswick.

Why extend the boundaries ?? Living in Whitby its difficult to get home get ready and be out ready to fish by 6.30. The only real options are the close marks and these have limitations. If its flat and high water and an any fish match theres places to get a picking of Billet and flounder. If its rough and a flooding tide then Hawsker is an option although sometimes patchy. Basically if the right conditions dont prevail we either need to drive toScarborough or an hour and a qurter to Flamborough. Its too much effort on an evening. Basically giving us Sandsend area would open up a lot more options. That might mean we kick your butts a bit more often but it gives us more fishing options in various conditions and tides. :happy: :happy:

Its quite often the case during the festival on an evening that I have gone pleasure fishing instead, opting to head north because I know the early season fishing can be a touch better in the rough.

7. subman

subman New Member

Now then boys, don't be falling out over this, from a number of telphone calls i have received there seems to be an assumption that the festival intend to ban the rope come whatever, i would just like to clarify that this is not the case, we are purely looking for opinions, nor are we looking to penalise good anglers, they don't just win because they go down the rope, they put in above average effort collecting bait, getting to know the marks and work hard on their tackle and bait presentations.
    Please bear in mind the festival committee may do nothing, or they may play around with the format to try and get a balance that would please most anglers as we will never please everyone, personally i don't think we would ever ban it completely unless we were forced to do so from purely an health and safety / liability angle, if this was the case all descents down ropes and ladders would have to be considered along with some fishing marks including the likes of the ladder on Filey Brigg and the Marine Drive, without a doubt that would signal the end of the traditional festival. So please accept peoples opinions ,don't criticise them or have a go because you don't agree, take them for what they they are, an opinion, that might or might not shape the future of Scarborough Angling Festival.

8. pikeman

pikeman Blenny

subman.

maybe as the chairmans notes stated for the visitors prizes the winner is somebody who has no local knowledge, isnt a member of a local club and resides 25miles for scarborough.
    when looking at the results i was amazed to see a scarborough lads name winning some of these prizes, i know he doesnt live there now but he has more knowledge of the area than a lot of the lads who fish there.
    i believe he didnt collect all the prizes but this is what puts anglers from away bothering to fish the festivals.
    pikeman

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

I can take or leave the festival matches, i have fished the odd ones in the past and will do agian hopefully in the future, i am not put off by the access to Bird Ash via the ladder, although i choose not to use it myself, and banning it certainly wounldnt make me fish anymore or any less, Both sides for and against the banning of access via the ladder have good valid points, but i agree with some earlier posts about were do you draw the line and this is my concern, i have been down the ropes at Roll up and the Back Roll up and use the ropes at Hawsker, Boulby, Whitestones all have the potential for death or serious injury, and i feel walking on to these marks tight under the cliffs is far more of a risk than climbing down,, I just feel once you start banning access to spots, because some people won't or can't or think its unsafe for us to do so, it just opens a can of worms for access to other spots in the future..

10. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

i agree with ray there - birdash is a good mark (apparently - i've never fished it) but it isn't necessarily going to be the winning mark. there are only a select number of anglers that i know who would be willing to make that descent so opening it up for the festival may not necessarily increase the numbers. the weekend matches generally attract anglers from further away due to prize money and times, whereas its usually only the locals who fish the night matches. opening up the descent for night matches will make it more interesting and up every other anglers game though, but how long before an idiot comes along without the correct gear and falls off??

(i hope that makes sense)

11. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

So your only an idiot if you fall off? some would say Dave Medd is an idiot for going down there at his age after a major hip operation - some would say he his a hero for laughing back and defying the steps of aging - I personally feel the latter, it's dedication and effort like his that is the major factor between a good angler and a great angler, not the venue, and is something you just can't switch on and off - I'm a great believer of free will, I would sooner be remembered for an idiot that fell from the cliffs than an idiot in a care home high on Anti biotics covered in my own piss

I'm not being confrontational fishergirl, but birdash descent is no different to many of the marks around here as previously stated, a lot of people that do not understand the ethos of rock fishing think we are all idiots going to places where we do and at night too - please let us adults make our own minds up where we go

12. rubbish

rubbish New Member

so far all anglers voicing an opinion are arguing their own corner all with valid points to make but in my opinion alot are missing the point of what is best for the festival , with numbers dropping surely some sacrifices need to be made by all , how about making one of the main matches a heaviest fish match for 1 year to see how attendences differ from the heaviest bag match.or deffo make them low water matches with no advantage gained by rope access. on the issue of lads falling out i for one will not be falling out with anyone as i have a very high tollerance level ( i fish with lobbers) :laugh:

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

High tolerance or a big pair of ear muffs :laugh: :laugh:

14. MFC

MFC Blenny

I am not in to all this banning lark,we have bounderys,fish to them,make them bigger end of story.However i would like to ask would it not be better to have the festival in say june when bait is in good supply? it is a problem at this time of year ,and may acount for low numbers ,i missed the last 2 nite matches to try and get some crabs for the weekend.if its time for a change have a big change.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The heaviest bag as opposed to heaviest fish is my only input does put more anglers in with a chance...as for the ropes/ladders.....leave well alone.

16. cps

cps Rockling

just a thought, whats to stop anyone throwing a rope over say the back of the bleg hole and going down there then walking of when its ebbed of, it would be a 3 minuet job to get down and no rules would have been broken,
    i have often thought of doing this in the fily festival just for badness

I'm with andycod on this one there are far worse climbs on our coast than the bird ash with the right gear its no worse than hanging 120 ft up in a cherry picker trying to guide in 3 tone of steel beam, i guess you wouldn't get most people up there eather

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

MFC has a good point, it has been suggested in the past but as I understand it was over ruled, perhaps a commitee member will confirm this, though having it too early would make it clash with the cricket season and I know a lot of anglers play cricket. The festivals are always close together and I know through talking to some of the anglers that they were struggling for bait and missed matches because of it. It might sound defeatist but would minor changes be enough to get the undecided anglers to fish. I saw everyone I expected to see over the festival but for the last few years some anglers have found other interests. The all England had an excellent prize table, was fished over a good tide in good conditions and as far as I know never clashed with another open. It can't have been far off attracting all of the local anglers so the only way I can see the numbers rising is to attract anglers from further afield, something that is notoriously difficult pobably due to the difficulty of getting to the marks. One of the points I suggested in the abscence of Spawneybass was the possibility of of including some of the yakkers into some of the shore matches as most are shore fishermen primarily. Some of theses lads came from all over the country to fish and stopped for a day or two. Perhaps this might happen if it was given enough plublicity.

18. robq

robq Rockling

One of the biggest points for me as a travelling, inland angler is lack of access to real quality bait. That does not stop me competing in the few that I can though !! I just use the very best fresh that I can and try and compete by fishing the very best spots that I can.

I think the evening matches are a no go for anglers living more than 30 miles away :no: Its a lot of time and effort to compete for a 3 hour match !!

It does seem a little odd having the 2 festivals so close together though ?? I overheard a very good angler who did well in the filey festival say he was "burned out" and had used almost all of his best bait to be able to really compete in the scarboro festival.

Maybe a months gap between them would keep things fresh for the locals ??

Not sure how to attract anglers from outside the area to compete ? maybe a bit of advertising in some of the N.E sea dangler articles ??

19. andycod

andycod New Member

thanks lads and lasses now we seem to have some good feedback and in my mind all for heaviest fish matches ,imo opening bounderies not a problem, you would still have a time limit! and always thought the fesival would benefit from been earlier in the year the only problem with this is the most important people in the festival the backroom staff if i remember when discust before had other commitments and too replace these people is nearly imposible, because belive me they do a fantastic job,but theres no harm in bringing it up a the next meeting, once again thanks keep the sugestions coming!!!

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Having fished the first Sunday Open match down Roll up,I had the pleasure of fishing all day alongside an angler who did very very well in the Filey festival...(angler of the week in fact) and he said to me that having just fished so hard all week in the Filey festival both his bait stocks and his motivation were hammered to quote " My heart just isn t in this week."

To me that says it all....two great angling festivals perhaps over shadowing eachother.....the first ...do you save best bait for the next festival only for it to come round and have burned yourself out.

Walking off Bemmo last Sunday I was trudging along close to one of the Collin brothers who exclaimed "This is my third walk on these festivals and the third blank for me .....these grounds suffer a hammering over the two festivals"

Again by seperating the festivals by more than a week....they would not overshadow eachother....also anglers could plan and prepare realistic amounts of bait.

Just a thought but the same marks are fished repeatedly over the two weeks with hardly a break.........the amount of line hung off rocks all along the front of Birdash shows that !

However in recognition of all the hard work in the background the festivals went off well and for me I ve been looking forward all year to them and so I hope any changes won t be for the negative...only improving on good set up.

Thank you to all the Scarborough and Filey committee members, two great events.