1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring our "new" 13ft dory ......

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by madmickyb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi alain ,engine is suposed to arrive tuesday by pallet and should be ready to bolt right on !!(tho were gonna have to rewire everything) were gonna launch in the ouse again to check everythings ok then maybe (said while touching wood and crossing all crossables !!) we'l try get over to filey for thurs or friday afternoon or if not the weekend depending on the weather ect
    still a couple of mods to finish on the boat (weve made a higher freeboard ) and the mate who was suposed to be making us some stainless fittings (handles and rod holoders) has let us down :whatever: so need to sort those bits i'l keep posting our progress and give you a bell when were gonna finally get to sea !!

looks like you had a cracking weekend at filey!! not many fish but plenty of beer by the sounds of it :laugh:

tightlines ...mick

2. madmickyb

just found a couple of piccies on my phone from the first launching in the ouse a couple of weeks ago
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

she sits lower in the water than we thought she would ???????
    i know its a bloody heavy old engine but didn't think she'd be so low in the water ??
    anyhow we've made a higher and removeable freeboard as we didn't want any rouge waves coming in when launching and it made me feel safer !! lol

anyhow smaller engine to be fitted Tues hopefully !!

tightlines ....mick

** just realised the pics are on the cannal section of the ouse at boroughbridge !!!

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Hi Mick if you ever launch at Whitby I would take my boat for a run out as well. Safety in numbers so you could give it a blast round the bay to see how it goes. Tightlines Chris

4. madmickyb

thanks for the offer Chris, we looked at launching at Whitby 18quid inc parking i think the harbour master said ..... its as close to Whitby for us (were at j48 A1 boroughbridge) as it is to go to filey and a slip launch might be a bit easier for our fist time out tho as to etiquette as in asking for the harbour masters permission to go out i have no idea ??????

lots still to learn !!

tightlines .....mick

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

If you launch at Whitby there will be someone in the marina office which is just a short walk about 1 minute from top of the slipway. where you can pay as you say it will be allot safer for you just let me no if you plan to launch there and as long as I am able to I will have a run out with you in my boat.

6. madmickyb

engine has arrived ...... :cheesy:

dont know wether to laugh or screem !!! ......the couriers have managed to drop it and break the cowl and a lump off the alloy casting and bent one of the control cable mounting bolts :angry: :angry:............
    contacted the guy i bought it off and sent piccies ...he wanted to get the courier to pic it up and return it to him !!! i want the bloody thing on the boat and running !!!
    waiting for him to ring me back !!
    i can live with the damage but shouldnt have to !!! payed bloody hard earned cash on the motor !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not a happy bunnie ...yet again !! wondering if this boat is ever destined to make it to the sea ????????????????????????????????????????????????

mick :cry:

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick bet your gutted Ive just looked at the pictures of you pride and joy i have a few mates that i know will sort out the engine local lads in york both doggy do do at what thay do see what the out come is with the couriers insurance and lets know what you want to do Ive just seen the funniest thing it was a courier with a 30hp mariner outboard engine wrapped round his neck driving home its not that offten you see out like that dont send it back to the guy you bought it off you need to contact the couriers insurance company now and give them some stick

8. The Apprentice

The Apprentice Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well Mick I would firstly scream, scream and scream again, just let it out... relax give yourself a chance to laugh longer and louder :happy: :happy: :happy:

I agree with willybendit's comment, I wouldn't send it back to them I'd get on to the couriers insurers.

Hoping you get it repaired in a short time and get some piccies shown, out at sea holding some FISH
    :happy:

9. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Hope you have better luck with your fishing once you get out there. You can easily fix the cover with some filler and spray paint as for the corner (Alloy) try some 2 pack glue Plastic Padding make some called Super Steel it,s great stuff I have used it allot or you could get it welded but is it really necessary. Try getting whatever you can out of the courier service as well thay should take more care good luck Mick.

10. madmickyb

it is all cosmetic Chris apart from this bit Ive just found !!
    [​IMG]
    its the anchor/mounting point bracket for the gear change cable .....
    i can just add an external support bracket to give it some strength
    Ive been in contact with ******* !!! who delivered it and Essex marine have already started the claims process tho i don't know how far they'll get as when i read there small print on there website it said engines were"unacceptable items for carrage " and freight only has ins up to £1100 per ton ...as it only weighs 38kg on the delivery sticker i don't think I'll be claiming much off them !! but heres hoping

tightlines....mick

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

Really bad luck mick again, give them some stick and see where you get,personally i would return it as like you say it's hard earned cash that's paid for it :yes:
    I know you are itching to get to sea and it will be a hard thing to do.. tight lines :wink: :happy:

12. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

At least you got some pics as proof keep them. what a bugger it broke the cable mount bracket that's a bit of a sod. If you are not sending the engine back to them I would make new bracket as exact as you can. Pay particular attention to where the cable mount should be when lined up with the break marks. You never no You might get a nice cheque for the damage fingers crossed keep at them in a nice way.

13. madmickyb

ok ....so ive spoken to dean at essex marine this morning about what we are gonna do about the engine damage and claiming from interlink
    me and dennis have decided were gonna keep the engine ....its just too much hassle trying to find another, the damage is repairable and is mainly cosmetic anyway

anyhow been busy today and fitted the motor ,fitted the new dash control pannel ,then had to put in new fused feed wire for the gps and sounder ect ,fitted a new battery box aswell the re spire wrapped the who lot AGAIN !! fitted the name stickers finally !!
    fabricated a new transport/light board mounting bracket and moved the aux engine mount aswell ....not bad to say ive had my twin lads to look after aswell as my twin 2yr old niece and nephew (for a couple of hours) ... oh and i change the oil on the nextdoor neighbours car this morning too !!!!.......who said blokes cant multi task !!! :laugh:

just gonna get a beer and chillax ...

tightlines ....mick

14. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick as long as you satisfied with out come you should be ready to launch Friday/Saturday with bit of luck lets know how you get on tightlines Alain

15. BigBen

BigBen New Member

nearly there mick hopefully at least will be some consolation for all the mishaps hopefully for you dont forget your camera on your maiden voyage really do hope all goes well on your first run out you should take dolphin up on his offer on your first launch better to be same then sorry good luck Ben

16. Interlink_Insurance_Scam?

Interlink_Insurance_Scam? Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

17. madmickyb

thanks for that post .... but its not !!!!!!

18. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick how was your maiden voyage did the engine perform better than expected different ball game to been on a river no dought you will do a report and post a few pictures tightlines Alain

19. madmickyb

posted piccies in the new tread "the further adventures of the "black pig" !! "

tightlines ...mick