1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring our "new" 13ft dory ......

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by madmickyb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Realy hope you get to sea this summer Mick, you have kept us entertained with your progress reports ,

you certainly desrve to get a good catch , fingers crossed for you mate :wink:
    best of luck , Harry

2. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

You will take some catching Mick with a 40 mariner on the back lets hope you get sorted soon there has bean plenty of fish getting caught of Whitby and all along the coast.
    We all could have a get together with are boats and have a match between us all.

Mick you have got us all checking your updates keep at it your not far off now. good luck chris

3. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

GUTTED .....checked my emails before i went to work at 6 this morning to find i had a message from the bloke who's engine i was going to look at this afternoon in castle douglas !!

message read...." just to let you know ive sold the engine got offer'd a better price " !!
    i wouldnt have minded so much if he'd rung and told me this and asked for a bit more ,but he never even gave me a chance !! f@@@in twat .....

sorry rant over ......... mick

so back onto the seach for an engine ............. :angry:

4. BigBen

BigBen New Member

thats a bit naughty of him could have had the decentcy like you had said just to pick up the phone and say look mick ive had a other from someone else which is x amount if your willing to match that price its yours and you were first in line! some people these days just dont have manners :angry:

5. madmickyb

i was propper pissed off..... yes i would have payed more for sure if he'd given me chance (if it was a good motor that is ) people are just going mad ATM paying over the odds for motors they haven't even seen or heard running .... i wont make that mistake twice :embarrass:...tho at what i payed for my boat the engine was a gift really
    anyhow managed to get a new needle+ seat ordered for the mercury engine i have (2 dealers told me they were no longer available !!!) so thanks to the lad at york marine services for all his help and advice/pointers he even tried to find me a secondhand carb in the vast amount of old gear he had to get me going again !!! and even suggested modifying any 38mm moutboard carb to fit which is a possibility if i cant sort things out

anyhow off to sulk with a beer now after a long day :cry:

tightlines......mick

6. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Your boat is looking mighty damn fine now certianly a lot better looking than when you bought great job.

Tim at york the young lad seem's to know his stuff he does the servicing on me suzuki df80.

7. madmickyb

cheers :embarrass:

Tim seems a good lad and was more than willing to offer advice ,gets a thumbs up from me !!

mick

8. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

It is a sickener when that happens welcome to boating Mick as this sort of doggy do do happens allot hope you get something sorted. I will keep my ears open for you but getting a good outboard is a tricky thing as yes thay all start in a drum of water but put them on the boat and oh dear what wrong now comes into play. There is always ebay but that is a big risk as well have you tryed boats and outboards for sale. good luck Mick.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/php/welcome.php3

9. madmickyb

the mariner was on ebay but wasnt due to finish till monday !! i'd phoned the guy and he seemed sound ..he said it was advertised in the local newsagents
    i'd offerd to go look at it that afternoon (tuesday)but he said he was working and couldnt do it till today (thursday)so i said ok i'd bring the asking price in cash with me !!
    didnt know gusumping went on in the outboard engine market !! lol
    ive tried boats and outboards but they seem out of my price range !!.... i'm only a grease monkey ya knows !!lol

i WILL get this boat out on the sea !! and this year too !! :angry:
    tightlines ...mick

10. BigBen

BigBen New Member

be well worth it when your on your maiden voyage mate keep us updated on how things progress ect

11. grimreaper

grimreaper Blenny

Maybe Your lucky and he wanted rid of the engine as fast as possible ??

12. madmickyb

ok so the mariner didnt work out .......but on the plus side the carb for the old mercury has arived in the country !!ya....the downside is bloody customs wants vat and parcel force want there cut to release it !!!
    so now i'm another £17 lighter ...hopefully they'l deliver it weds am ...should be on the engine and tested within an hour .....fingers crossed its a good un !! hedging our bets the new needle valve and seat should be here for it by the end of the week !!
    getting itchy feet now ..want to get out and catch a few fish :suspious:

tightlines ....mick

13. madmickyb

arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.....

stopped flooding ...now has a bloody missfire ......... i give up ........ :no:

put a bid on a 30hp johnson on fleabay in desperation ........ we'l see

tightlines ...mick

14. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick have you found out which cylinder is misfiring try swapping the plugs over or is it a duff H T Lead so near yet so far try and get the engine warm and do a compression test that might throw a bit of light on things simple things are the hardest to find tightlines Alain

15. madmickyb

go's off on both cylinders as the revs fall ...thinking faulty stator ???

mick

16. madmickyb

well finally had to bite the bullet !! :angry:
    just bought a mariner 30hp longshaft (yamaha engine) from Essex marine
    its a late 80's engine electric and pull start ,complete with remotes and switch panel, fuel tank and line ...oh and 3 months parts and labour warranty :happy:
    £700 delivered...... over budget ....yes but its nearly Aug and were not fishing :sad:
    hopefully we'll be out there soon !!
    the mercury is gonna get mothballed for now ..see if i can pick up a seized or blown engine over winter to rob for spares ...or it might just end up on fleabay as spares itself !!

tightlines ....mick

17. smokey

smokey Rockling

I let a 5 year old tohatsu 30hp longshaft go for £895 at the beginning of this year,i had it since new and it only had about 60 hours on it,would have been ideal for you mickey,shame you didn't need one then as i would have helped you out,hope the mariner is a good un mate... tight lines

18. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Just the job 30hp Marina Mick let hope you get out there soon good luck Mick.

19. madmickyb

now i didnt need to hear that !!!!! :laugh: :cry: :cry:

tightlines....mick

20. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick i see you have now got a proper engine for your boat so all we to know now is whens it going to get wet was out at filey this saturday at the yak match not a lot doing in the bay some lads had a few fish north side of the brigg fancy giving the thornbacks a try in the bay hird nowt on the tope sean as yet a lad had two a week or two ago but nowt else been reported was hoping to get out after them this sunday but whent casting instead so lets know when your off with boat and ill try and make it tightlines Alain