1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring our "new" 13ft dory ......

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by madmickyb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. langy

langy Rockling

Cracking report mate, enjoyed it throughout :D

Tight Lines..Langy

2. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ok ...the latest update and a couple more piccies !!
    the rain cover is now refitted with new clips ,a 750gph bilge pump has now been fitted and our "battery box" is now sorted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

solved a couple of problems in one go (and quite well i thought !!lol)
    we needed a way to give the engine more support while transporting it to the coast ,we didnt want to rely on just the little "tin" locking mechanism on the engine so i came up with the above idea !!(dont know if there is a genuine bracket i should of had in the first place !!) then after i'd thought of this i thought "hang on i can mount the lights off this too" ..so i did !! lol.....
    it seems all the little "bits" are getting done now (slowly) just a little more interior work (painting mainly) and now were trying to sort the ageing trailer out !! a few brackets to weld and a nice big crack in the rear chassis section !! and were sorted
    were looking to get into the water (the ouse !!) early next month for a """sea/river trail of the engine opperation and also launching :embarrass:..could be fun ... the saying ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA comes to mind ,but i think weve got a good grasp of things between us !! tho a beach launch could be quite a sight to watch LOL
    need to get a prop sock sorted and a plotter or gps (cant make my mind up ,tho my wallet might do that for me !!!)

thats about it for now !!! ...lots questions on rigs bait ect ect will be coming soooooooooooooon :embarrass:

tightlines .....mick

ohh and thanx for reading if you got this far !!! pmsl

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Excellent progress and I hope all your efforts over the last months are richly rewarded over the coming summer.Best of luck to you and you have a boat to be proud of.

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done lads you can see the winning post at last, i have realy enjoyed following this thread every step of the way :yes:
    i hope you have many happy hours afloat , tight lines , Harry :cool:

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Not long now then till the launch party are the invitations in the post :tease:.

Keep up the good work Mick well done.

What am I doing I should be out by now working on my own :sick: catch you latter Chris

6. madmickyb

well its been a while so thought i'd post a bit of an update !!
    things have moved on and the "BLACK PIG" (yes we finally settled on a name ) is just about compleated !! :cheesy: shes going for her first swim in the river ouse on saturday afternoon to give the engines a good workout and to check all our gear and launching skills (or lack there of !! lol)
    .....then hopefully weather permitting we'l be across to filey next week for her first sea voyage and hopefully a spot of fishing too !!
    i know we have to pay to launch at filey but where and who do we pay ????? seem to remember its at one of the cafe's on the cobble landing ????

hope to see some of you lads over there this summer :yes:

tightlines .....mick

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great stuff the end is in sight. Congratulations and I wish you all the best luck in the world.

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Mick, you have got it done :yes: dont forget the camera on your maiden voyage, this has been a great thread to follow, no doubt it will give others some hope when they star a simmilar project, dont think i can make a trip to fiey for the sea trials ,but good luck :cool:

9. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

you have to pay at bakers cafe if he's there. depends what time you go. what day you thinking of going i might be out.

10. madmickyb

not sure what day yet but it will be a late afternoon( normally get over around 430/5 ish ) ,prolly tuesday or maybe thurs depends on work and the weather and i havnt looked at tides yet :embarrass: !!

might see you out there !!

tightlines ....mick

11. rabbi2

rabbi2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Did you get sorted with a Gps? only I have a Garmin 60 handheld Gps at £60 if interested.
    Cheers
    keith

12. madmickyb

thanks for the offer mate ....we got one on "loan" from one of my mates ....think its a perminent loan tho so landed lucky there !!

its miday ...just having a sarnie then off to the river we go for a bit of a test run .....hope it floats :scare: lol ..............

tightlines .....mick

13. madmickyb

:embarrass:............................ well finally got the dory into the water(the ouse!!) this afternoon after nearly a year of restoration !! ....
    well to say things didn't quite goto plan is a bit of an understatement really :cheesy:

we did learn a hell of alot and we wont be putting to sea till we sort out all the bugs in the relative safety of the river first !!
    launching off the newly refurbish trailer went spot on tho we did forget to put the aux engine onto its mount BEFORE we launched so lesson one learnt
    after pissing about for 10 Min's to the amusement of the locals in the marina we got the engine on and started ,dropped the mount down to find the motor sits too low in the water lesson 2 learnt !!
    so with the trusty old pair of vice grips as a temp "stop" for the bracket we retreated away out of the marina away from our small but growing fan club !!lol
    lesson three was then making several cock ups as we found you cant see over the cabin/cuddy very well to steer with the aux engine .... dens a left hander so he got the job as he could see around the side of the cuddy to steer !! we did trim quite a few overhanging trees !! lol
    having found a secluded spot we tied up to try start the main engine and try it out ,it sprung into life on the third or forth try ...result !! then promply died .... think the 4th lesson there was ...main engine doesn't run !! ...well it will but only on half or full throttle ....as we couldn't get it to tick over we couldn't get it into gear therefore we couldn't use it or test it ...(a full carb strip is in order me thinks ) more work whilst in the 205l drum on the drive at home req me thinks as well !!
    as we were there we thought we'd give the "other" spare engine we have a try , so off with the Suzuki and on with the little Mercury that ran quite well to the point where i was steering and i managed to cock it up ending with me clipping the prop on the bottom and ....well lets say it needs a new prop now :no:
    after refitting the Suzuki we spent 2 1/2hrs pottering up and down the river trying the gps and sounder and various other bits and pieces out .....the garmin ff is a great bit of kit for the price and easy to see and use ....
    retrieving the boat onto the trailer went without a hitch ...nice and easy

so a cracking afternoon in some ways and disappointing in others we certainly wont be on the sea this month !! but we will get there in the end once were happy everything is reliable and safe

thanks for all the encouragement over the past months ....the end is nearly in sight !!

tightlines .....mick

14. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Don't look at today as a day of costly mistakes think of it as a day of invaluable experience the kind that you can't get from books or advice but the kind of experience that might just keep you out of or stop you getting into trouble at sea in the first place

Lessons learned from today will keep you safe tomorrow, nice effort on the boat hope you do well with it

15. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Sound like you had a good afternoon boats are great launched my,n just over a week ago on Friday at the Tees Barrage reversed out of the launching sling,s only to hear 2 load bangs just thought it was a log in the river but on further inspection noticed both hydraulic rams that connect to the trim tabs had snapped.

Just a thought on your main engine is the fuel tank vented OK. it wont be much wrong good luck keep us informed how you get on next time. Chris

16. madmickyb

unlucky about the trim rams mate .........
    we tried running with the tank top off and still no joy !! went thro a few things while we were out ,filter plugs mixture ......
    i need to try and find a service manual for the engine !!
    in the long run i think we may end up selling two of our old engines to put towards a newer 4 stroke ....but we'l have to see how we get on with what weve got for now !!

tightlines ...mick

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well Mick ,you did manage to get afloat, :yes: i had a little chuckle at you r story, i could immagine the growing crowd of onlookers thinking what the f***$ are they trying to do , :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i recon another month and you will have it cracked, good luck, Harry

18. madmickyb

:laugh: the sods were turning there chairs around at one point so they could have a laugh in comfort !! pmsl i should have been charging an entertainment fee !! :embarrass:

ohh and my old man turned up this morning having bought a pair of oars for us !!
    the piss taking sod !!! (though we could have done with them yesterday at one point !!)

tightlines.....mick

19. madmickyb

well another update ..... things havnt gone too well of late with our engine troubles :no:
    after having the 35hp mercury fail on our river launching i set about trying to get spares for the fuelpump and also a carb repair kit ... after alot of searching ive found that half the spares are no longer available !!!! and after having a chat with alain and trying a few tricks and tests weve had to conceed the engine is a no go ...i have managed to find a secondhand carb from the states but am still waiting for the thing to arrive !!
    the summer is getting along so weve decided to buy another engine ...not in our budget but we want to get fishing this summer not next year !!lol
    were off to go see a mariner 40hp on thursday afternoon ..hopefully a genuine engine serviced in may so ready for the season came off his seahog .
    the guy is only changing it as hes bought a 4stroke ...

so fingers crossed we should be out for our second river trails soon !!

tightlines .....mick

20. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick the mariner should make it fly you could call the boat (the flying black pig) Ha Ha all you need now is a sign saying (welcome aboard sit down shut the -uckup and H A N G On) you will just be in time for some tope fishing when you finally get sorted youve done a great job on the boat now you can enjoy all your hard work tightlines Alain