1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring our "new" 13ft dory ......

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by madmickyb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

It is taking shape keep up the good work.
    Have fun compounding the paint with G3 :tease: :tease: Keep us informed how you are getting on and dont rush it. Chris

2. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have a proper electric polisher and compound sponge for it :butt:

laters...mick

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

So do I :butt: :butt: :tease: :tease: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But soon as all my paintings done that's going the jurny it bloody hard work good look Mick

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Looks factory new, well done keep it up,superb effort.

5. madmickyb

i G3'd my transit jumbo by hand !!!!!! now that WAS bloody hard graft ....thats why i got the electric one for the next job i got !! lol

wish this rain would stop so we can get some more painting done :angry:

tightlines ....mick

6. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

wish this rain would stop so we can get some more painting done

Same here been doing loads of prep work over the last couple of weeks ready for the paint and what happens we get all this bluming rain oh well hope it dont last to long.

7. madmickyb

ok so alittle more progress if you can call it that !!! :cry:

we got the 35mercury running a while back and she was pumping water fine..............
    but it got the better of me saturday and so apart it came to check the impeller .....and hell i'm glad we did !!!
    [​IMG]
    thats the remains of it !!!! knackerd impeller and housing and top seal and gasket :no:

so armed with this we got the aux 3.5 engine running ,stripped the carb float needle stuck to its seat ...soaked in petrol for 20mins and job sorted !! it started 4th pull !!
    wasnt sure where the teltail was so removed the drain bung from the power head ....at tickover no water !!!
    stopped the motor and stripped the lower unit and yet again more bad luck

[​IMG]
    the remains of the impeller !! but this time everything else is ok !! :yes:

ahhh well in for a penny !!..stripped the little 2.2 mercury we have ,removed the foot and ....no pump ????? i poped to spar for a jar of coffee and my mate had removed the powerhead from the leg looking for the pump !! ...no pump ???
    thought where the hell is it ..... as a last resort i remove the prop and gearbox cover screws and low and behold there it is behind the prop !!! .....

[​IMG]

not as bad but knackerd non the less !! only thing is we now need a powerhead to leg gasket aswell !!! lol

at least we didnt put her in the water ...get 500yards out and BANG !! then fit the aux to get back in and another BANG !!

might cost £100 in parts but its saved us god knows how much if we'd knackerd 2 good engines !!

two steps forward and 10 back but were getting there very slowly !!

tightlines.....mick

8. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

Quality job, keep the posts coming

9. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

All the fun of boating keep at it and keep us informed how it's going.

10. madmickyb

well the painting now sorted (kind of !! lol) just the interior needs another coat of white and floor another coat of red and were done :cheesy:
    got all the pump parts sorted for the engines and i got a nice little box of toys deliverd this morning !!
    a garmin 140 fishfinder a standard hx280e vhf a couple of manual life jackets and also a new bilge pump !!
    new trailer indispensions should be here tommorow
    just a flare pack and a few bits to order now ....ohh and about another 300hrs work and we'l be there !!lol

total cost for this project has been around £1200 so far so its boating on a budget !! :embarrass: just hope we catch something !!

tightlines .....mick

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Mick,looks like youv,e cracked it :yes: i am sure we are all looking forward to the launch :yes: i am sure you will catch a few fish ,august will be a banker ,makerell will be there if nowt ellse :whistle:

12. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Looking good
    Best of luck finding the fish- Finding the fish in your own boat is as rewarding as catching them
    I have to say that in case my fishing partner gets more than me
    Regards John

13. cps

cps Rockling

not trying to tell a granny how to suck eggs but have you got all the bits of impeller out of the waterways as i have seen them get right up into the block and cause over heating , took me an age to fint the vain that had come off but solved the problem once found

14. madmickyb

no worries mate .....we have all the large pieces out of the 35hp engine just missing some really small bits ......
    as for the 3.5hp suzuki the impellor was compleatly disintigrated !! just crumbled between your fingers ,so i'l flush the waterways out with a hose before we rebuild it !!
    thanx for the advice tho ....we need all the help we can get :embarrass:

tightlines .....mick

15. esoxuk

esoxuk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Even at £1200 its worth it, people have paid a lot more and still had work to do. You will have a boat in 100% condition and a pair of engines you can rely upon....well done
    Phil

16. madmickyb

OK a few more piccies ....we've been busy again this past couple of weeks !!
    [​IMG]
    new side windows are now in (perspex) and the original laminated glass windows are back in the front with a fresh coat of hammerite

[​IMG]
    we've also fitted grip tape down both sides (for going forward to drop anchor) and new nylon cleats down both sides, theres still checkerplate to fit to the front deck to reinforce it as its quite thin grp
    we've also fitted new indispension units and fitted ford fitting 14" rims instead of the 315mm metro rims that you cant get tyres to fit !!all the brackets are now made for the keel rollers there just to fit and some mudguards to fabricate ,winch to modify and a launch wheel to rig up .....

[​IMG]
    outboard remotes are now refitted and new gators to steering cable and wiring/throttle cable
    also we've fitted the fishfinder transducer
    then spire wrapped the lot to keep it out of the way but it also let everything dry out if/when it gets wet !!

[​IMG]

finally we gave in and bought a new stainless aux engine mount !!
    just the solid screen to refit lenthen the fuel pipe another coat of white on the interior and a coat of red nonslip to go on the floor ..... and that's about it ...ooh and grab handles to fit when my mates made them !!

i recon if we had a good un interupted day at it (both me and den ) i think it'd be about done !!!! :cheesy:

one thing we do still need is a couple of foot of edging strip ( the black "d" shape stuff around the edge of the hull/cabin ) we refuse to pay the £100 or so for a full new length around the boat as the stuff on there is in good condition just a small section was missing/damaged when we got the boat ...I'll get a picture of it and some dimensions ( as i know theres loads of different sizes of it )....so if any of you lads has any off cuts or know where i could get a couple of foot of it second hand or new for that matter .......

tight lines ......mick

17. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Your allmost there lads :yes: this has been an interesting project to follow, even for a shore angler,
    launch day cannot be far off now :cool:

19. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

Just a word of advice - you shouldnt keep cabbages in clingfilm for too long :educated:

Seriously though a big WOW from me. It is a long time since I saw this thread and in the meantime you have transformed this dory into a beautiful bit of kit. She will be very buoyant and on the plane in a heartbeat.

It will give you a lot of confidence at sea when you know exactly what is underneath you. Cracking job. :yes:

Alan

20. madmickyb