1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring our "new" 13ft dory ......

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by madmickyb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

I think you might find there are more following this thread than you think Mick!

I find it fascinating and a good read, makes a change from the usual. Nice to see a project like this turn into a reality with what seems to be heading towards a great end product.
    Wish you well with it and hope you post a pic or two when you first launch it - after the obligatory breaking of the bottle of 'champers' over the bow of course.
    You'll have plenty of time now with the Xmas holiday approaching fast! :whistle:

2. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

ye keep at it interesting stuff watching someone else doing the sort of thing that keeps me out the house apart from fishing. Chris

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Alright Mick here,s a project I,m working on at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

'Errr, is it snowing up there at the minute?? :happy:

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

just a bit

6. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

tis good to see somebody is still watchin !!lol .....
    I'd rather be working on the boat than going to work ....its a great sense of achievement , each little piece is a step closer to a finished seaworthy boat .....
    I'm liking the look of that little project too dolphin !! i likes a good challenge !! lol

I'll get some more piccies sorted !!
    tight lines lads .........mick :happy:

7. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Alright Mick ye keep at it it will be finished before you no it. That boat I,v got there will mainly be for on the river (Tees) When I get It done also to get the kids interested rather than them stuck in the house playing computer games or whatever thay do as thay get older but it,s one of them though there,s no rush to get it done hence the pics with the snow it hasn't changed much since early in the year.
    Keep us updated on how you are getting on cheers Chris

8. madmickyb

a few more piccies of our progress
    [​IMG]
    seem to have a few "mushrooms" growing :canadian:
    [​IMG]
    covering in the rear "sumps" and filling with foam before covering in glass
    [​IMG]

were just leaving the one "sump" section for a bilge pump to be fitted in we have since fibreglassed over these sections but i havnt got any piccies yet :whistle:

weve also pulled out all the crap arse silicone sealer some plank had coverd the transome in and reinforced it with ply and then fibreglassed over it ...this will then have a stainless steel plate over it so should be well strong enough for the 35hp motor to mount to !!

laters.....mick :cheesy:

9. madmickyb

well here we are again !!
    just a few more piccies of our progress !!
    [​IMG]
    new doorframe fitted and glassed to help support the cabin roof that had several cracks as theres a grab handle above the doorway
    [​IMG]
    in both pictures you can see weve plyboarded the floor in the cabin and glassed it over to make better use of this area
    [​IMG]
    the floor is now flat alway thro the boat ...you can see where we cut 50mm holes in the deck to pump out the water between the skins ..when dry we compleatly filled with expanding foam including under the new cabin floor !!
    [​IMG]
    transome repairs are coming along well ...coverd the whole thing with a layre of glass ...just the underside to do the same on and then a 3mm stainless plate to go over the lot !!
    a few piccies of the engine !!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    weve removed the starter motor ...the guy we bought the boat off lastyear said it was faulty (tried it and its lazy !!) stripped it and it needs new brushes the comutator looks fine tho ..the wiring is in a bit of a mess but nothing too bad ..we have a spark and fuel pressured up with no leaks ,theres bags of compression too ,so i see no reason once the starter motor is repaired that she wont run :happy: we did try pulling it over using a cord on the flywheel s**t it kicks back well :laugh: but no chance of starting it that way untill its fastend to the boat !! lol
    ive never worked on these engines before but were both mechanics and have both worked on 2 strokes before ..what i would like to know ( if your still awake !!lol) is where the water pump impellor is ?? and what mixture this motor should be run on (mercury 35hp brown band) 50:1 or 25:1 ???
    im sure i have a shed load more questions to ask in the next few weeks as we go all out to get this boat ready for the summer .......

enough waffle ...thank for reading :embarrass:

tightlines .....mick

10. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Fantastic project mick, keep posting and keep on with the good work. Little and often - you'll miss it when you've finished!

11. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Alright Mick still a bit to do then but stick at it. The water pump impeller is in the lower end part where the bottom gearbox bolts onto the middle section that comes down from the engine.
    To part the joint and get it apart you will need to undo the gear change linkage that runs down inside the caseing. Some outboard have a small plate with a couple of screws that you remove so you can get at the linkage inside. If yours is the same take note of where the linkage is clamped if you can put some marks so you put it back in the same place.

You will find the pump in there when you get it apart there will be a water pipe inside the caseing as well allot are push fit into a O-Ring at the top end of the caseing where it meets the engine.
    But do some homework on google or if your conferdent enough just have a go don't wary about it just let me no if you get stuck.

You will end up with a nice boat and no every bit of it in the end. well done on the work so far keep letting us all no how your getting on.
    Chris

just found this it might be a bit more moderner than your engine but it will give you some idea what to look for ie where screws can be hidden
    HOW TO REPLACE WATER PUMP "MERCURY 150 OUTBOARD"

12. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have just read this, it is a fascinating thread and I will be keeping my eye on it......I have always wanted a small boat to plod about in myself, but living 90 miles from the coast and having nowhere to store one makes it a bit of a problem.
    I think that this little dory will be a cracker when its finished, and you should be well satisfied with your work.....

Roger

13. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fantastic progress made looks really good already,roll on the summer eh lads.Well done and the best of luck to you.

14. kingsa2

kingsa2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a point about checking the water pump for serviceability. You can only be sure it is working by running the engine in a water tank or in water ie launched. If you use 'Muffs' fed by the tap/hose that means that the water is pressure fed and you can't be sure that the water pump will 'draw' the water up against gravity.

Hope this helps.

Tony

15. deecee

deecee Blenny

Looking good . I enjoy your progess updates.

16. madmickyb

thanks for the replies lads ....chris thanks for the link mate ... i was looking at splitting the foot off just below the engine :embarrass: guess i wont find the pump there !!
    our local auto electricians picked up the starter motor today to try match some brushes for it ( they actually look very similar to early mini ones !!!lol)
    as for flush muffs the motor is in a 205L barrel atm so it has to pump its own water (or not as the case may be !!)
    got a little more done this afternoon on the hull gave it its first coat of 2k primer to find all the imperfections(and there are quite a few !) and then did a bit of rough filling before calling it a day .....
    just been on good old fleabay and orderd some new nylon cleats and stainless bolts ....need some more rollers but not sure how many yet so will sort that tomorrow :cheesy:
    things are progreesing quickly atm but i'm away for a long weekend friday so no more work on the boat till next week, i'm really getting back into it now and am looking forward to getting fishing !!

tightlines ....mick

17. robq

robq Rockling

Looks like you are doing a quality job , properly :yes:

I'm not a boat owner but enjoy your posts, keep them coming, cant wait to see her on the the 1st launch and 1st fish aboard :happy:

18. madmickyb

well quite a bit more progress has been made !!....
    got some new brushes for the starter motor sorted for the princely sum of £11.63 !!
    thats now reconned and on the engine ....which started after a few tries !! pumps water like a goodun too !!
    weve also given the top half another coat of primer filler (2k) and done some more fine filling ,ive also given the floor its first coat of paint and the "sumps" and trasom (internal) has had another coat of resin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

got the first coat of red on ....but its reacted badly for some reason ??????
    we used 2k primer and 2k undercoat but its eggshelled badly so have had to flat it all back again ....only thing i can think is the topcoats gone off ?? we had it mixed lastyear but i didnt think 2k would go off ??
    anyhow were gonna give it 4 coats and then flat it back with 1200 then g3 it to get a good finish ....more hard work but i,m not paying another £60 on paint !!!

[​IMG]

you cant see the egg shelling on the pic but gives an idea of the finished colours ...

tightlines....mick

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yes it is starting to come together now lads, and starting to look like a new boat , i think you should let the forum know the launch date and we could come and see her off, :yes:

20. madmickyb

you can all have a laugh when we crash and burn !!! lol
    were gonna launch in the river near home and give the engine a good workout before she's put to sea !! but we'l let ya know when were gonna break the bubbly over her !!

tightlines....mick

flatted and painted again this afternoon ..... not asmany reactions this time !! 2 more coats and some g3 me thinks !! got some new perspex for the side windows too !! (free of charge !! the best kind !!)

laters..... :cheesy: