1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring our "new" 13ft dory ......

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by madmickyb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

had a couple more hours scraping and sanding inbetween rain showers yesterday afternoon !!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as i think you can see its a slow process !! i think theres at least 5 or 6 layres of paint and 4 colour changes on there !!
    the top layre of dark blue is so soft it just blocks the da sander discs so i have had to scrape this off first then you get a lighter blue thats as brittle as hel and hasnt bonded to the coat under it properly in places then too a couple of layres of what i think is household gloss !! then light yellow then to original white gel coat !!
    all in all a bloody pain to get off !!
    were gonna get some 2k primer filler and stablizer for the top half of the boat as its got holes that have been filled everywhere ( from past fittings ect ) and we want to get it back to a stable and uniform base before we give it 4 or 5 coats of red 2k topcoat !!
    once the tops done theres the inside to paint too but this is just getting a quick wipeout with thinners and a coat of white 2k (its a rough fibre finish inside !!)
    then back onto the trailer (still to overhaul and modify !!)
    then we can start on the engine !!!.....
    might be ready for 2011 season at this rate !! :laugh:

tight lines ...mick

2. anndy

anndy New Member

looking good ,,
    the hard work will be worth it, when you are out catching the big cod fish

3. deecee

deecee Blenny

Keep at it. It'll be well worth the effort even if it is 2011 before you launch .I'm looking forward to seeing the end result

4. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

What make is she? :educated:
    I would say she is a cjr dory but I am not certain.

Alan

5. madmickyb

i have no idea what make she is !!! was hoping somebody might be able to tell me !!
    the more i look at cjr's the more i'm convinced but what would i know its the first boat ive ever owned !!

tight lines........mick

6. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

nice job!

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

you lads are certainly putting a lot of effort into your boat , :yes: when you finaly launch it again maybee a video for the forum :whistle: ,at least when you start on the engine you will be able to work indoor,s keep it going :cool: Harry

8. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

it,s looking good lads keep at it that paint will defoe be a nightmare have you tryed paint stripper mite help with any soft stuff. Keep us all informed and when all is done you can have a launch party and all of us can come and watch tightlines chris

9. Wildcard

I am almost certain she is a cjr dory like mine. Here's a couple of pics though mine is 16.5ft. The trithedral chines look identical with those on your upturned pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan

10. madmickyb

looks very similar !!..... but i thought cjr dory's had twin foam filled hulls ?? mine has a second skin from the steering back which are just air pockets with no foam ? in the cuddy its just single skinned ??

tight lines .....mick

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

she is coming on well mick. it will be worth it in the end

12. Wildcard

13. madmickyb

i'l try get some pix wed/thurs if the weather holds

tight lines .....mick

14. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

she's gonna be worth it in the end. are you bringing her through to filey next summer

15. madmickyb

hell yes ..hoping to launch from the beach there ,we fish off the brigg atm and keep seeing you lads not a 1/4 of a mile out landing all the big fish !! :yes: so we kinda figured we want somma that !!.... not quite in the same league as your new ride tho mate !!

mick

16. madmickyb

well thought i'd resurect this thread !! (i bet you lot thought we'd given up on this project ????? )
    got the boat back on the trailer a week or so ago ...towed it upto where i work last weekend and got it inside out of the rain to get the last of the sanding done !! (thank f *k thats done !!!lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

weve decided to fill the twin hull with foam in the end (should arive this week !)
    and were gonna put a flat floor in the cabin and mould in a battery box and power console while were at it ... there a few other bits of fibre glass that need a bit of reinforcing but ive bought 5kg of resin and 2kg of matting for all the work that we have planned .... :cheesy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

weve been busy while not working on the hull making new vee roller mounts and brackets for the trailer so things have been progressing in the background !! weve also got another aux engine (had it given !! non runner suzuki 3.5hp 2 stroke !) just need to get hold of a cheap aux engine mounting bracket

think thats it for now but will keep posting our progress !!

tight lines .....mick

17. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looks like things are coming together a bit now mate, looks like it was a bit of a job getting all that paint off.
    Ive been playing with the idea of getting a small boat for uptiding from in the winter months, I reckon I'll pay a bit extra and get one that doesn't need quite so much work doing though
    that said I bet theres a hell of a lot of satisfaction to be had from restoring a boat like your in the process of doing, it'll be all worth it when you get her launched for the first time
    hope it all the hard work pays off for you mate
    Ben

18. madmickyb

had a good couple of afternoons on the boat this weekend ......
    the floor is now foam filled weve now fitted a flat floor in the cuddy/cabin and filled under that with foam ,also the "sumps" under the transom weve cover'd the 2 small sections and one of the large sections and have filled with foam .......(you can see what i mean in the piccies from the last post) we can now fit a auto bilge in the one remaining section
    now we need to get it back upto where i work so we can fibre glass over the whole lot and make it watertight ,theres a few glass repairs to do on some cracks in the cabin doorway and around the free board so another skill to learn :cheesy:
    its been one big learning curve :educated:...lol and is still ongoing !! but i'm enjoying it ...tis good to learn something new :cheesy:
    i'l post more piccies when i can !!

tightlines ...mick

19. madmickyb

just a quick update (if anyones still reading about our progress ! :cheesy:) cabin floor has now been "glassed" weve also stripped out the transom for some repairs and have started "glassing" that aswell ...never realised how much resin we would get thro !! lol i'l post up some piccies when i find the cable for my camera !! glassed over a few of the foam filling holes in the floor aswell ...........and started painting inside the cuddy
    its slowly getting there ...just aswell to do it right now as rush and have to redo it later i guess .....but would rather be out fishing in it !!

laters.....mick :laugh:

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yes keep it going Mick ,it is a good read this thread , i am looking forward to the finished article ,and the renaming of your boat :yes: