1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring our "new" 13ft dory ......

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by madmickyb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just thought i'd start this thread as me and my mate are renovating a 13ft dory and i thought i'd share ......
    ok ...the boat we bought off good old fleabay for what i thought was a bargain price compleate with an old trailer and a murcury 35hp electric start engine (non runner !!)we trailerd it back from easington near hull, it seemed to be in a good solid condition apart from the aformentioned non running engine and a few missing bits and bobs .
    a day later tho things were alittle different ...on closer inspection of the hull we found a few "divits" which we thought were launching marks ...we dug alittle deeper and found far worse !! :no: the guy we bought it off seemed sound but the more i think about it the more i think he saw us coming :cry: after alittle scraping of paint we discoverd that there are 28 !! yes 28 6mm holes drilled through the hull from underneath :crazy:( could someone please tell me why the hell would you drill holes in the bottom of a boat to let the water out ???? !!!)
    so after scraping off 11 or 12 layers of paint and god knows how many hours of sanding we are at a point to start fibre-glassing the holes in and then for a coat or two of paint !! then we'l turn her back over and start on the top half !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

weve also now found alot of the engine wiring has been cut and bodged up .... tis all repairable but will take time (were both mechanics so most stuff is routine :yes:)
    so thats it the story so far .....

to be continued ................................................ :laugh:

tight lines ....mick :wink:

2. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one mick, shame about the problems your finding......should be a beaut when youve got her up and running, quite mysterious having all those holes drilled in the hull, maybe the previous owner upset the wrong person
    looking forward to hearing how the renovation goes
    Ben

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

hope you get it sorted out mick. should be a nice little boat that when you done.
    but holes in the bottom of a boat :crazy:

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

sounds like a revenge attack he might not even nowen thay were there have seen dinghy used as plant pots before. it,s not a big job to sort them. Will make nice boat for fishing keep us posted on how ye getting on. Good luck chris

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Good read, shame about the problems, hope you get em sorted ok.

Keep us updated on how it goes! :yes:

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Mmm Holes in a boat. Reminds me of the person who allegedly drilled holes in the bailiffs boat at Whitby police station car park.

7. Patterdale

Patterdale New Member

Was it you Glenn lol

doug

8. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

The big problem with dorys is you can get water ingress between the deck and hull which waterlogs the foam. This is probably the reason why someone has drilled holes in the bottom :surprise:

Unfortunately it is a major job to fix. Here's how I cured mine;

Strip out the old deck;

[​IMG]

Install new deck bearers;

[​IMG]

Screw new deck to the bearers and seal edges;

[​IMG]

Install seating and cab bearers;

[​IMG]

Drill 17mm holes in new deck between voids and pump in new foam. Then coat with 2 coats of fibreglass;

[​IMG]

This is the only way to fix it properly.

Alan

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Nice little job done there Alan,good as new :yes: hope mick get,s his sorted :yes:

10. madmickyb

cheers for the encouragement guys :happy:

as for foam filled ...i'm lucky its not !! its a twin hull but with air voids !! i checked by cutting 9 holes with a 50 mm holesaw throught the inner deck into each of the voids
    cant make up my mind now if i should fill them with foam and re glass them or just re glass em and leave as sealed voids ???....

tight lines ....mick :cheesy:

11. Wildcard

12. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Filling with foams a good idea for safety but if ye do don't put to much in as it expands allot and could even lift the deck seen lads do it down the boat club. Read instructions well and do ye home work first. keep us posted on how ye get on. Chris

13. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Looks a great hobby to be doing lads. Hope you get sorted at no great expense.Would love to have a go myself one day but i have no-where to keep a boat unless i keep it in a lock up and then it will probs cost a lot of money.
    It must be great just going down on a nice day-motoring past all the divvies on the end of the pier spinning and heading out for an afternoons peaceful fishing catching some prime cod.
    Mick.

14. madmickyb

well just a bit of an update on how things are going !! or not as the case maybe :suspicious:
    having spent hours on end prepping the hull i have now "glassed " all the holes from outside and filler'd the fine scratches and launching marks in the hull ... its not 150% its got alittle "character" left in it !! lol....
    i rang the guy Friday who's sorting the paint for me to be told he's on holiday for a week!! but was told he would ring us to sort things out ...took him till this afternoon !! (not happy ) this is now holding things up for us so have had to reorder paint from elsewhere which is gonna take a few more days :angry:
    on a good note tho i caught my first maccie last Thursday off the Brigg ......only to loose the f***er off and back into the drink when I'd got him landed on the rocks :laugh: easy come easy go i guess ...
    just cant wait now to get that 1/4mile further out and get me into some nice cod !!

tight lines fellas ....Mick

15. madmickyb

well just another update .......(and maybe a small bump !! so i dont loose this thread !! pmsl)
    the hull has now had 4 good coats of 2k white (scotched between coats) and is now looking 200% better ........ were hoping to get her turned right side up as soon as we get a break in the bloody rain ! so we can get on with prepping the topside .... an engineering mate of ours has offerd to make up some reinforcing plates for the transom in 2mm stainless (result !!!) and also make us some grab rails that are missing ,weve also bought a secondhand aux engine (just need a aux mounting plate at a realistic price now !!) and got a new plastic fueltank and fuelpipe and primer off ebay for the main engine .....looking at 12v bilge pumps if anyone has any sugestions of a good one for this size boat ??
    thats about it todate ...its a long process to get this old gal back on the water between working full time family and the rest that life has to trow at me ...but were still hoping to get on the sea this year !! hers hoping ..... :wink:

tight lines ...mick

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Glad you renewed this thread :happy: i will be watching for further photo,s of your progress :yes: i think it,is great if people can do do it yourself stuff ,if it was me it would probabley sink on it,s relaunch :laugh: :laugh:

17. madmickyb

the dory is right side up again now having finnished the hull were now onto the cabin ect but things are going slow cos the kids school hols !!
    [​IMG]
    things should move on in the next couple of weeks when the kids are back to school !!
    i'l keep postin till ya gets bored of me !! lol

tightlines.....mick

18. x-generator

x-generator New Member

Good to see the progress, might restore something myself next summer :).

19. Wildcard

That looks a really professional finish and she will slide through the water with ease. Top job. :educated:

Alan

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yep it,s looking great,would love to see a photo of the top side before you start to to restore it , :yes: it realy is looking good ,i have been folowing this from day one ,i am sure you will have it afloat for next summer :wink: