1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Release SG Reel - First impressions

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Jul 10, 2013.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

Fishing reels provide a certain fascination. To some, they can be a demonstration of engineering brilliance. To others, they’re a purely functional angling necessity. To the tackle tarts, they can be the latest must have fashion accessory. In truth, I think they are a bit of all three to me.

I’ve bought quite a few boat reels over the years. My first boat reel was a Mitchell 624, purchased over 30 years ago, but since then I’ve owned Daiwa, Shakespeare, Penn, Shimano, Abu and Avet products. A depressing number of my early purchases have either been binned, or just sit in the cupboard gathering dust. If I could start all over again with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I’d bought fewer, but much better quality reels.

Have you ever wished you’d bought a better quality boat reel in the first place? If so, you might be interested to read on!

There’s a new small lever drag boat reel on the market, which offers a manufacturer’s lifetime warranty, which as far as I know is a first. It also gives me the feeling that if they are able to offer this, the manufacturers have considerable confidence in their product.

When I think of the money I’ve wasted on cheap reels, the prospect of a good looking top quality reel, which comes with a lifetime warranty, is a very attractive prospect. I appreciate that I will need to dig a little bit deeper in my pocket to buy one, but if I’m going to get many years long service from this reel, it sounds like good value to me.

‘Release’ reels are new to the UK and for the past month or so; I have been testing the first left hand model to be available in the UK. Release reels are made 100% in the USA. The Company was founded by it’s President, Wes Seigler. Wes clearly has an eye for design, as these reels incorporate a number of very well executed and clever features.

From the moment you first touch one, the reel just screams strength and quality. The reel I have been using is the SG standing for small game, though its big brother, the LG 2 speed model will be following shortly and may already be available in the USA.

The left hand SG reel sports an oversize handle, called the ‘Magnum Ball’, so called because the holes fit 44 magnum bullets! Pretty bling eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The right hand version of the SG reel, however, has a very unique patented handle. At first sight, the handle on the right hand SG looks rather odd. But grasp it and crank the reel and you’ll be amazed at how the ergonomics come together to give a really comfortable grip, with superb winching power. I would like to think these same handles might be an option on the ‘lefties' before too long.

[​IMG]

So what is the Release SG like to fish with?

I teamed my SG up with 30lb Berkley Whiplash braid and over the past month used it for pirk and shad fishing. The reel is a nice fast 6.1 retrieve, and the big handle makes light work of clawing back line. This reel can whip a pirk up from the sea bed in no time, but is equally at home steadily retrieving a shad.

Out of the box the reel is very smooth, but I’m told they improve further with use as they come well greased and the gears and bearings bed in. The lever drag is interesting. Unlike others, the SG has no ‘strike’ position. Instead, the lever has a long throw, from free spool to full drag. In use, I found that once I had set the drag, I fished with the lever roughly in its 2/3rd position, which is marked with a screw in the side plate. A few nice fish to nudging double figures have tested the drag, which I have to say is creamy smooth.

[​IMG]

For its modest size, the SG is in a class of its own when it comes to maximum drag pressure, which is a mighty 30lbs. Of course this will have little application for the bulk of UK fishing (other than perhaps skate fishing), but what it could do is making it easier to bust off when your gear is stuck solid in a wreck. No more wrapping line around cleats or sections of broom handles. The reel will hold 450 to 500 yards of 50lb braid.

The reel weighs in at a very modest 12.6 oz (depending on the chosen handle). Fished with a trigger grip rod it is a lightweight delight of an outfit, especially for those like me, who prefer left handed reels for pirking and shad work. I’m also really looking forward to trying this reel out on the tope, where that creamy smooth drag will really come into its own.

[​IMG]

Price wise, the right hand versions are available now in the UK for a penny under £280. I appreciate that this sounds a lot of money to spend on a reel for UK sea fishing and there are many cheaper options available, but as they so often say, “You get what you pay for!”

I know I get much more enjoyment boat fishing with a top quality reel and moderately priced rod - rather than a top quality rod and a moderately priced reel.

For those that are interested, here is a link to the release reels website, where much more information can be gleaned about their unique design features. I also hear there will soon be more exciting sea reels coming from this Company, so watch this website!

http://www.releasereels.com/

[​IMG]

2. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one Rupert like you Ive kept trying different reel i use accurate & avet now cracking little reels latest acquisition was an accurate boss xtreme 400 what a piece of engineering that is i also have avets beautifully smooth little powerhouses of reels got rid of all my Penn's shimanos & abus now just debating whether to try an Everol Vertigo VJ12 wouldn't mind trying the Daiwa saltiga hyperspeed either.Its an engineering thing honestly :wink: :wink: or is it a fetish :laugh:

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi tatch Stan Massey is the uk distributor of Everol Reels never used one myself but no bad reports i now have a few Avets after using one of Ruperts the new ABU are a Pile Of -rap will this new Bling thing take off ? only time will tell

4. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was on sea otter 2 other day and a bloke had 2 brand new abu 7000 l/w and both of them broke dave pauls crewman managed to fix them both ...... shame abu have sold out because I remember they were the dogs bollocks I now use a saltist stt50 snd thst is a quality real

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

5. cps

cps Rockling

only down side to it [and avets as well as others] they are made from ally whick when bought in nice bling colours soon get boat rash and look very old very quick ask ziggy :yes:
    I still use and original tld 10 , bit slow at 4 to 1 for some things but its getting towards 30 years old now and still going :yes: had a set of gears 8 years back but still a cracking reel,
    bet its caught more fish than most reels ever will

6. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yes im useing the saltist 40h & i love it great value too

7. tatch1

My avets are still like new after a couple of years but i look after them well but heres the Cure for boat rash http://uk.ask.com/youtube?q=www.reelwrap.com&v=vzrAkjFrONU&qsrc=472

8. tatch1

Aye Stan's a very helpful chap too Alain when you need to know anything about rod building i think i saw somewhere he built you one not long since does a top job by all accounts was it an uptide he did you or one of them there skate catchers tell you what though blingy or not i am sticking to me alloy reels which avet do you use when skate fishing ?

9. bucko

bucko New Member

Looks great Rupert- Love the 'Magnum Ball' feature (little touches and all that).

10. cps

cps Rockling

agree depends on how you look after them , I have a pair of 7700 morrums that are still very good only 1 mark on 1 of them after 15 years of shore fishing
    but my boat reals [ especially in small boats ] get a lot more abuse my tld10 has a lot of wear to the side plates that if were nice ally would look really bad
    also depends on how much they get used, mine have been out 6 times in the last 10 days

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Tatch i had a pair of Shark Rods Built By Stan using Cono-Flex IGFA 30lbs Blanks and pac bay Roller Guides And Alloy Butts im well pleased with them

12. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have the SG super reel was skull dragging 20lb+ cod from the shetlands going to try it on the skate soon

13. rupert

rupert Blenny

Hi Lozz

You must have a right hander? For big fish like skate, I swap back again and prefer a right hander.

What b.s. braid are you skate fishing with and any idea what drag you're planning on running?

I would imagine the SG is ideal on a kayak too, being so light.

Cheers, Rupert

14. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

At the mo i plan on using it for all sorts due to the versatility of the drag seems at home with big cod and tope, with plenty of power in reserve .Im using 65lb braid with leader a 300meter just fills it but you could get maybe another 75-100yds on there.To be honest im not sure what drag pressure im using as i just adjust it by feel on the day to what i think i,ll catch. I use a tld 20 for my skate fishing and on paper the release has a more powerful drag.I can say it is a delight to use and it'll be a lot easier to handle on the yak.
    PS yes its the right handed with the power handle

15. AusyHoward

AusyHoward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys,

New to this forum, originally from the right side of the hill to you guys! Now live in Perth and most of my fishing is jigging for big things or surface lures for whiting (different to whiting in the UK). Saw this thread about Release reels and ordered two lefties, same as some of the comments on the site, can't coordinate with righties for jigging.

Can't recommend them enough. The service that I had through Justin and Tracy was brilliant and the reels are a class product.

Many thanks for helping me choose these two reels. Cost a lot more in jewellery for the wife than the reels cost!

16. rdngd

rdngd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done Ausy I am sure you will be pleased with your reels what I have done with my SG's over two years just amazing. Release have appointed me as their UK dealer and repair centre they have also decided that all reels purchased in the US will have to go back to the US for the lifetime warranty work all UK purchased reels I look after on a next day deal. This month you get the free handle ( $50 ) on all reels any style you want and I agree both Justin and Tracy top guys. My contacts 01668 216173 or rdngd@aol.com or www.fishthedream.co.uk