1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redcar Pier

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by lochbois, Sep 9, 2010.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Ive just received the a report from the Anglers Trust on yet more findings on the Tees barrage and its impassable fish passage.
    Ive also just read more readers asking if they can have a pier that they can walk out to sea on and enjoy the day out.
    What has to be done to get these people that make the decisions to listen to the public.
    How did Britishwaterways get 5 million pounds to try to build another Teesbarrage.
    What is that tower at Redcar going to cost and is it the same company that
    is buiding the Second Teesbarrage slalom course.
    Im gobsmacked by it all.
    I just hope that the two holes that they are putting in the slalom course are big enough to allow fish to run the Tees and leave the rest to nature. :crazy: :tired:pB

2. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Just find the nearest brick wall and Nut sh#te out of it mate then it will all make sense.If we're really lucky the Gov spending will pull the plug on these schemes and our beloved councilers will have only wasted a few million on design fees. :cry:

3. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

Sod Redcar pier. Build one of these

A 'vertical pier' at Redcar is a total waste of money. You wouldn't pay to go up it so no money would be put into the area. Put one of these rockets up and people would come from miles away to ride this. :vomit: :wink: Takings along with lottery funding from it could build a proper pier at Redcar and give us a decent place to fish from safely. There is good fishing to be had at Redcar but can be dangerous. It might take a few years to get the money in but there again it'll most likely be spent else where Would you ride this and would you be excited if a pier was built at Redcar? Like I say, total waste of money on a 'vertical pier'.
    http://www.funtime.com.au/data/images/gallery/rocket/rock25.jpg
    http://www.funtime.com.au/data/images/gallery/rocket/rock7.jpg

4. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Re: Sod Redcar pier. Build one of these

I wouldnt pay money to go on that thing and i wouldnt climb a tower to look out to sea.
    Im too old to go on a rocket.
    And if i want to look out to sea i have binoculars.
    I would love to be able to walk out onto a pier and fish or just enjoy the walk.
    Redcar and Teeside people want to walk onto a pier.
    Saltburn and Whitby pier are proof that most people who visit these seaside resorts use the pier.
    I have yet to find that New Pier down at Seaton Beach at Hartlepool.
    I have seen the Hotel where the canoeing family the Darwins were filmed at
    but i cant find the pier. :happy:pB

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I have felt like doing that a few times but i think we should tell these office wallers sat 9-5 makeing these stupid decisions that nobody wants their tower.
    When is somebody going to fling that big Ell Trap into the Tees to see if we have any ells in the Tees . Somebody called it art and called it Tenimos .
    Its an Ell trap designed in the 1900 for catching fish.
    Fred Buller and Hugh Falkus have a picture of the trap in their Freshwater fishing book.
    Crazy World we live in :cry: :tired: :sad: :angry:pB

6. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a nugget

Where do you suppose they could build that without using the passengers to knock down the existing sea front properties

No wonder the town's in desperate need of re developing and still being held back by luddites

7. brian carragher

Another couple of crazy postings that have nothing of merit to them

What the f**k has the redevelopment of Redcar got to do with the Tees barrage: answer nothing, but it seems some folk will stop at nothing to make a point

The new tower is in the main private enterprise money and some council and government funding as part of the general redevelopment of Redcar which the town desperatly needs

Idiots and luddites abound in Redcar and if any notice is taken of some of their more absurd comments then the town in general and the sea front in particular will stay as a shit hole for many many years to come, still I suppose they'll be happy then particulary as they don't even live in the town

8. boris

boris New Member

cannot wait for the back lash on those views. :whistle:

9. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fair enough Brian, so I suspect your in favour of the vertical pier. The fact is there will be a significant cost to the taxpayer so the fact you live in Redcar doesn't give you the right to start insulting people who also have an opinion. You're right about one thing, Redcar is a dump but despite the mantra being preached by a certain few, ploughing all that money into the white elephant that is a vertical pier won't be enough to save it.

Nick

10. brian carragher

Which taxpayer?

Do you know anything at all about the project for Redcar?

11. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Yup, the Idiots are mainly on the Council, or are coming up with half baked ideas.

My own view is that a vertical pier (tower) will not greatly enhance Redcar seafront,. Anything less than a couple of hundred feet would be a waste of time, wouldn't draw the crowds, wont create jobs, end up as a White Elephant and just be a magnet for the local yobs. If people want to put Redcar on the map, they have to think bigger, Blackpools tower is 518ft high, Redcars vertical Pier 75ft. :crazy:

12. NICKB

Obviously not. Maybe you can enlighten us on the funding for both the pier and the Hub and who funds the funders?

Nick

13. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

The point is these projects cost a fortune just to the design stage and Redcar & Cleveland council have a long history of such projects that never turned into reality.You're right Brian I don't live in Redcar but my council tax goes to Redcar & Cleveland so I think that gives me a right to an oppinion.Yes Redcar is badly in need of redevelopment but lets have something sensable that people want.

14. NICKB

Can't remember ever walking round Redcar and thinking 'Do you know what, this place really needs a vertical tower to bring it back to life. :crazy: :crazy:

Nick

15. brian carragher

There is no pier, there never has been one on offer, the "Vertical Pier" name was one assigned to the tower by the winning architects who won the commisioning prize to design a new building incorporating sea front designs into a building relavant to the age we live in

The development for Redcar has been kickstarted by the plans of the Environment Agency who are funding the building of the new sea defences in Redcar from Coatham to Green Lane and as part of that plan (£25 million) the council have come up with proposals for the renovation of the sea front to co-incide with the sea defences and intergrate the build and minimise distruption and reduce costs

As another part of that plan derelict buildings along the sea front were bought up and plans were introduced to bring them or the areas the buildings stood on into public use ( the old Palace bingo hall and Sharkeys pub)

Archiitects were employed to design new buildings fit for purpose which would involve public use and centres for young people and the concept of the hub was developed

Funding was sought from various sectors and the council got government approval to borrow part of the money needed and various government agencies ( One North East being one) were approached to get funding BEFORE any council monies were spent on acquasition or development. European funding has been brought into the funding arrangements making the contribution from the council even smaller

As a part of the funding arrangements the new tower was included in the business plans for grant work and the two (hub and tower) are financially linked

The tower for redcar is essentially the same tower design with viewing platforms as was envisaged to be built at Coatham and was then heralded as a great idea for the town with panoramic views of the sea, all thats happened is that the new location for it has moved a mile or so East and now stands central to Redcar, if it was a good idea then , it still makes it a good idea now

The tower will not be owned outright by the council, the majority of the building will be owned by private enterprise companies who are funding the majority of the money to build it so the risk to the council if it does fail are so small as to be neglible. Private enterprise money seem to think they can risk there own money on the project and make it work via a return so who are we as non contributors to that financial risk to tell them they've got it wrong

The idea for the tower is to be a mixed use building and its primary aim is'nt for the delight of Redcar residents, its to give day trippers and tourists something to do and go visit when they're here, most of whats on offer iis designed to make the town a more attractive proposition for tourists as without them the town dies and theres enough evidence of that already. I don't know if the tower will be a rip roaring success or not but its a chance I'm willing to take for the long term benefit of the town itself and it would seem theres enough private money in the scheme to think they also think along those lines

Most of the money that the council will be spending in the scheme is in the form of wages to the direct labour organisations that have to be paid anyway regardless of whether the scheme goes ahead or not, ie in roadworks and street works

If anyone wants to take the town back to an age where its infrastructure and hard environment lead film makers to shoot there because the area is semi derelict then they need to give their heads a good shake because its now time to take the town forward and plan for today and the future

16. brian carragher

Two thread running on the same topic and I bet contributors above have no idea whats planned for Redcar nor will they have seen any of the plans nor will they know whats on offer in its entirety

So come on then instead of negative criticism what's your alternative plans?

17. lochbois

lochbois Guest

hello brian, i am following the Redcar Pier Debate through the local gazette.
    I have enjoyed all the piers along our coast for about 50 years of my life.
    I was at Saltburn pier on Wednesday because i wanted a walk on the pier and a walk on the beach . I Live in stockton but i think as a Teesider all my life most people would like a nice new pier.
    I dont live at Whitby but its scandeless that that east pier has been left to rot.
    How many times will you be climbing the tower when you get it built.
    Ive been to Blackpool on coach trips but ive only looked at it from the piers that were full of tourists and anglers.PB

18. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Dear Brian . Who are you calling a nugget?.
    You are surelly calling the thousands of people that read the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette, who from what you are saying have been wrongly informed by the Editor of the Gazette .
    I am sorry for mentioning the pier if your words are right its end of story.
    I will be asking the Editor why his reports dont know your story.

19. brian carragher

I know you live outside the area and without directing any inference towards you personally what gets up my nose with the new development proposals is folf from outside the town and worse still folk from outside the borough telling me WE don't want it

Folk should speak for themselves and not offer a collective WE as I view that as aninsult to the Redcar folk that do want to see the town go forward

The debate in the gazette on a pier is a bit of a false one really

Prior to the election we had our prospective MP campaigning to build a traditional pier at Redcar and using the scrapping of the new tower as part of his argument, he even went as far as publishing the fact that a new pier could be built for less that £3million and thats what's attracted a lot of folk to that particular angle

What a load of bollock, a traditional pier would cost around 40 to 50 million pounds to build and errect at todays prices and surprise surprise, now hes in theres not a peep out of him on the traditional pier debate, much less about how the council would raise the funding when HIS government is slashing the budgets of our local council and squeezing the life oput of public services

I have no argument against a traditional pier and would welcome one should it be built but as our council can't afford it , its stupid of our MP to try and con the public into suggesting it could be built and it would be at this time fanciful pie in the sky daydreams if they were to suggest it nor is it sensible to offset a privately funded building off against public expenditure

A recent built (just opened today) extension to the local college built on easily accessible land has cost in the region of 3.5 to 4 million quid hardly the same as building a pier and much much cheaper

Do not think that to get a pier we have to throw away any new development that might enhance the town, its not a trade off, if a traditional pier is to be funded and built it should do so on its own merits not at the expense of something else

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Why do you have to call me me a nugget?
    Have you wrote to the press yourself telling the public of Teesside they have been wrongly informed.
    I honestly thought Teesiders were being given the choice.
    From the plans shown in the Gazette i thought the planned tower and surrounding area looked to futeristic.
    Shows the papers cant always be believed.
    I am glad that you have got Steel comeing back to Teeside.
    I have worked their in the past and we need it for the whole Area.